Snorkeling at the No Name Bar/Hotel Barracuda by Punta Langosta

anonmom

Has anyone gone to No Name Bar/Hotel Barracuda for an easy place to snorkel near Punta Langosta?

It seems like it is on the right part of the island to have good snorkeling, but not sure if being so close to the cruise pier means that there wouldn't be as much marine life to see?

Thanks for any info!

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone? I'm trying to decide where to go on Monday, as we board the Jade this Saturday and Cozumel is our first stop.

I'm also hoping someone can explain how the currents work. All of the shore snorkeling guides I've found online say things like, "determine which way the current is going before you decide where to get in the water". Is there a site that shows how the currents will be running on which days? I have no idea what determines which way the currents run on a given day. The moon?

Not sure what bar you are talking about, but we enjoy snorkeling from the shore at The Money Bar. Good facilities, lockers, gear rental, food, drinks, service. Lot of the smaller snorkel tour boats just bring their customers off the shore at the Money Bar and drop anchor. I always wear a brightly colored rash guard or t-shirt, both for protection from the sun and to make myself visible to others. I just need to figure out how to cover my growing bald spot. :o

If there is a current you should be able to see it before entering the water (varies more with the tides than anything else) -- walk up current to enter the water and float with it instead of fighting the flow. Get out down current, maybe grab a beer, and then repeat! :cool:

http://moneybarbeachclub.com/

Taxi each way should run about $10+tip for up to 4 passengers sharing the same cab. Good luck! :)

Also open to other places that are within walking distance of Punta Langosta. I'm just trying to find a way that we can do some light snorkeling without going too far from the ship.

I cannot attest to the quality of snorkeling but we do enjoy No Name Bar when we are in town, although I can imagine it is not for everyone! It is a small area at the back of the Hotel Barracuda which is a small "no frills" diving hotel. It is popular with the cruise staff and can be quite noisy and busy. There is a small swimming pool. I have seen people going out snorkeling and doing practice dives. There is no beach since it is ironstone (good for snorkeling), just loungers, tables and chairs.

Not really any snorkle places if you walk north from Punta Langosta, until you get to hotel zone (long walk!) but south there are one or two restaurants with snorkeling at the back, Jeannie's, Margaritaville and beyond Cozumel Palace there is Hotel Cozumel which offers day passes with snorkeling via stairs on one side of the road and large pool on the other. Again cannot vouch for quality we are more people watchers!

Money bar, that John suggested is popular for walk-in snorkeling but would require a taxi ride.

From what I've read on this chart, it seems like there is plenty of good snorkeling within walking distance from Punta Langosta:

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Beaches

I'm just trying to balance a few different factors:

1. We would strongly prefer to just walk instead of having to take a cab, due to the seat belt/car seat issue.

2. We are total beginners and have never snorkeled before.

3. We'll have our 5 year old with us, so it would be nice to have some sand for her to play in, but I understand that the beaches with sloping sand all the way down to the sea don't have good snorkeling.

4. We have unlimited drinks on the ship, so my fiancé and I will be using the ports as detox/family time. So we don't want a place that is AI. Of course, we will order food and soft drinks wherever we are, so a place with decent authentic food would be a plus.

5. We prefer a laid-back vibe. Other kids and families and people drinking and enjoying themselves is fine, but we definitely don't want anywhere with an out-of-control Spring Break/college atmosphere or really loud music.

Edited by anonmom

From what I've read on this chart, it seems like there is plenty of good snorkeling within walking distance from Punta Langosta:

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Beaches

I'm just trying to balance a few different factors:

1. We would strongly prefer to just walk instead of having to take a cab, due to the seat belt/car seat issue. The airlines will check your car seat for free; I would tip the cab driver extra for the time spent installing and un-installing the seat

2. We are total beginners and have never snorkeled before. If you need to rent gear and maybe use the services of a guide the Money Bar sounds better IMHO

3. We'll have our 5 year old with us, so it would be nice to have some sand for her to play in, but I understand that the beaches with sloping sand all the way down to the sea don't have good snorkeling. No sandy beach will offer good snorkeling; MB has a sandy area for sunning and relaxing away from the water

4. We have unlimited drinks on the ship, so my fiancé and I will be using the ports as detox/family time. So we don't want a place that is AI. Of course, we will order food and soft drinks wherever we are, so a place with decent authentic food would be a plus.

5. We prefer a laid-back vibe. Other kids and families and people drinking and enjoying themselves is fine, but we definitely don't want anywhere with an out-of-control Spring Break/college atmosphere or really loud music.

It's your cruise and your choice, but I'd take another look at the Money Bar, including trip advisor reviews and photos - sounds like a better fit for your family to me.

It's your cruise and your choice, but I'd take another look at the Money Bar, including trip advisor reviews and photos - sounds like a better fit for your family to me.

I have considered Money Bar. It just seems like some of the closer (walkable) beaches have the same amenities without the required taxi ride and the Americanized feel.

We did buy snorkeling masks from amazon and have tested them in the pool, so I'm not worried about needing to rent gear, although the walkable beaches do seem to have plenty of dive shops. My concern with us being brand new to snorkeling, and our daughter being not-quite-5, is just that I want a shallow place to get in the water, so that we can practice in an area where we can still stand up.

We will have her booster with us, so we can choose to take a cab if we really don't like what we find in the walkable area, but I hate having to go through the "do you have seat belts?" conversation multiple times. Plus, of course, the added cost.

If anyone here has any experience snorkeling at La Palapita den Medio, Hotel Villa Blanca, Sand Dollar Sports Beach, Sunset Bar, etc. I'd love to hear about it!

Edited by anonmom

For a 5-year old I would also look for a kid-sized snorkel vest or something else (floaties?) to help her out and not be afraid to keep her face in the water.

Definitely! This is the snorkel vest I got her:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00LMGP8GM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1453912872&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=snorkel+vest+kids&dpPl=1&dpID=41boaZPJVQL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

And this is the snorkel mask:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00XISQTE2/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1453913026&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=Tribord&dpPl=1&dpID=41TwApRoNiL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

I have considered Money Bar. It just seems like some of the closer (walkable) beaches have the same amenities without the required taxi ride and the Americanized feel.

We did buy snorkeling masks from amazon and have tested them in the pool, so I'm not worried about needing to rent gear, although the walkable beaches do seem to have plenty of dive shops. My concern with us being brand new to snorkeling, and our daughter being not-quite-5, is just that I want a shallow place to get in the water, so that we can practice in an area where we can still stand up.

We will have her booster with us, so we can choose to take a cab if we really don't like what we find in the walkable area, but I hate having to go through the "do you have seat belts?" conversation multiple times. Plus, of course, the added cost.

If anyone here has any experience snorkeling at La Palapita den Medio, Hotel Villa Blanca, Sand Dollar Sports Beach, Sunset Bar, etc. I'd love to hear about it!

With a 5-year old I don't think I would recommend either the Money Bar or No Name Bar., which are both bars we enjoy. In fact I don't think I have ever seen children at the No Name Bar and I don't think there would be much there to keep them occupied. Take a look at some of the you-tube videos to get a feel for the place- you can't get much more Americanized than this place! Unless all three of you are confident swimmers I would not recommend either of these for beginners.

As for there being "lots of places" within walking distance of Punta Langosta, again only the places I mentioned above are within reasonable distance. Whilst it is possible, and I have done it, to walk out to Sunset Bar area it is a long walk in the heat, and not easy there and back with a 5 year old, but in that area maybe consider La Palapita, as the most family friendly? Incidentally at all these places you will probably need fins or water shoes as well as masks.

Chankanaab sounds like a better fit for your family although I realize this would have additional cost. Maybe take a large breakfast and instead of food and drink pay entrance fee for a few hours and then return to the ship.

Good idea - the snorkel lagoon at Chank would be perfect for a 5-year old and beginners. They even have a few statues sunken into the water to provide for some extra visual attractions.

Admission will be about $20/adult and the cab fare should be $10 or so each way.

Good idea - the snorkel lagoon at Chank would be perfect for a 5-year old and beginners. They even have a few statues sunken into the water to provide for some extra visual attractions.

Admission will be about $20/adult and the cab fare should be $10 or so each way.

Now I'm confused. I'm sure I've read online that the lagoon at Chankanaab is not for swimming, in order to preserve its ecology.

ETA: I know there is shore snorkeling at Chankanaab, just thought that the lagoon was off limits.

Edited by anonmom

It's been a while since we were at Chank so that my kids could swim with the dolphins, but I recall a small beach and a separate area for snorkeling which I have read has been improved in the last couple of years.

If you go to Mitsugirly's posts she has a couple of photo intensive reviews of Chankanaab in her signature.

John is correct in the areas he is describing, but you are correct there is another area specifically called the lagoon that is not for swimming in.

• 2 weeks later...

We were able to walk to Hotel Barracuda/No Name Bar quite easily and we loved it! Yes, it is Americanized, but still less "touristy" than I feared. Here is my review from another thread:

4.5 stars ☆☆☆☆*

We walked off the ship and out through the shopping center that you have to go through to get out of the immediate port area. When we got to the main street, Avenida Melgar, we took a left and walked south about a block, then crossed the street to the Hotel Barracuda, an orange building on the waterfront, which is directly after a vacant lot where you can see the sea.

Entering the main lobby and passing through to the shore side, there is a restaurant/bar called the No Name Bar. They have stairs that go down into the water, a dock you can jump/dive/swim/boat off of, a sandy area with loungers/chairs/tables/umbrellas/palm trees, a pool, and a full menu of drinks and food, with all the Tex Mex and American food basics.

Prices are reasonable by US standards. The three of us paid $44 for 2 giant fruity drinks that were pretty strong, a big plate of chicken nachos, a good-sized serving of shrimp ceviche with chips, and a bottle of water.

The food was nothing amazing, but it was fresh, well prepared and had good flavor.

Prices on the menu are in pesos, but they take US cash at a rate of 15 pesos per dollar. Your best bet is to pay with a US credit card that has no foreign transaction fee, though. Our bill would have been $54 in cash, but the credit card companies always give a better exchange rate.

Service was exactly what we were looking for, available but not pushy. We were there for 3 or 4 hours and a waitress came up to our table right away when we got there, but when we said we wanted time to look at the menu she left us alone until we flagged her down 20 minutes later. She checked that we were enjoying our food and asked if we wanted another round, but didn't push at all or make it seem like they cared how much money we spent or how long we stayed.

We are complete snorkeling novices, so we wanted a place where we could get in the water easily and just try it out. This was perfect. There are no inflatables, or other bells and whistles. Just steps down the ironshore into the water, with plenty of fish and basic coral to see. We stayed in the protected cove formed by the shore and the dock, but there were people snorkeling further out and I'm sure they saw a lot more exotic flora/fauna. Obviously, you have to figure out the current and be careful of boats if you go further out. We didn't want to worry about this with our 5 year old, so we stayed close.

Like most of the beaches in and around San Miguel, the sand at Hotel Barracuda is all behind a retaining wall. There is no sloping, sandy shore. There are 2 types of beaches in Cozumel: ironshore, with steps or a dock into the water, which is good for snorkeling and diving; and sandy beaches, which do not allow for coral formation. But, for us and our 5 year old, having sand to sit/lounge/play in up by the tables was all we needed.

This is a place where first-world ship crew (youth counselors, guest services, etc.) hang out, as well as some expats & land-based vacationers. The place was relatively full, but there were plenty of tables, chairs, loungers, etc. A few patrons were smoking, but not enough to be a bother in an outdoor area. The clients were mostly a mix of groups and couples in their 30s and 40s, with some 20s and 50s. I didn't notice any other families, but there was more than enough for our 5 year old to do. Any kids/tweens/teens who like to sunbathe/swim/people watch/build sand castles/snorkel/hang out would enjoy the No Name Bar. Babes in arms would also do fine, but crawlers/toddlers would be out of place, as would active children/teens who want to run/splash/yell. The music was dance music at a normal beach club volume. Not a quiet/romantic type place. People were drinking/talking/having a good time, but no one was obnoxiously drunk or loud.

I tipped our waitress $10 in cash, so we ended up paying $54 total for the 3 of us to eat, drink & entertain ourselves for several hours, including use of the WiFi, which wasn't great at the tables, but worked perfectly from the bar and from the pool.

On the same side of the street as Hotel Barracuda there is a fish spa, which I think was $15. We didn't decide to do it, but we did get an ice cream cone to share next door. I think it was $3, and it was good quality ice cream like you can still get in most of Latin America.

There is a Mega supermarket across the street where you can get any basic things you might find at a Walmart/Target/Kmart. We got a liter of soy milk to keep in the cabin fridge for about $1.25.

I wish I had worn a rash guard, because the sun was strong and I did get burnt. But we had a great time at No Name Bar/Hotel Barracuda, and I would recommend it to cruisers looking for a reasonably priced place to swim and snorkel near Punta Langosta.

Also, for anyone who has older kids who want the inflatables and such, there is a Margaritaville not far past Hotel Barracuda. They say they are the only free "water park" in Cozumel. Hotel Barracuda had everything we needed (with what I'm assuming were much lower prices and more our type of atmosphere) so we didn't check it out, but you could see their inflatables from the water, and I think tweens and teens would enjoy that.

Edited by anonmom
typos, clarifying directions

Glad to hear you enjoyed your day and everything worked out for you.No Name Bar is certainly convenient for those docking in town who want a change from shopping, or the mainframe tourist bars/restaurants.

I think your review summed it up fairly well. I hope you can understand why I said it would not suit everyone. I am glad to hear there was enough to occupy your child but as you said I think families with more than one child would have a hard time as there is no room to run around and play chase.

Did you get to use the pool?

Glad to hear you enjoyed your day and everything worked out for you.No Name Bar is certainly convenient for those docking in town who want a change from shopping, or the mainframe tourist bars/restaurants.

I think your review summed it up fairly well. I hope you can understand why I said it would not suit everyone. I am glad to hear there was enough to occupy your child but as you said I think families with more than one child would have a hard time as there is no room to run around and play chase.

Did you get to use the pool?

Yes, I think it very much depends on the personality of the kids, just like some adults will like the atmosphere and others won't.

There is plenty of room to swim, even in the protected area, so kids can certainly burn off energy swimming. But kids who want to run around on the beach or play on inflatables or splash each other aren't going to find what they are looking for.

I sat in the pool to check email & FB, since that was where the best reception was. :) The pool has some cool sunken barstools to sit and drink. Again, not a pool for kids to splash around in, but we didn't need that since the ocean is right there.

• 8 years later...
Posted (edited)

I just googled Hotel Barracuda to find some info to show my friend who is accompanying us on our latest cruise this month, and I found my own thread from 8 years ago!

We've been to No Name Bar 4-5 times since I first posted here, and always had a great time. In fact, we've liked it so much that we've never gone anywhere else in Cozumel!

The 5 year old just turned 13, and we're bringing her best friend along on this cruise, so I'm considering Margaritaville this time due to the free use of the inflatables, but I'm not sure the atmosphere will be as nice as No Name/Barracuda

Edited by anonmom
Typo