14 nighter Jan 2017

astrocat

"I must go down to the sea again .. " yes I am again succumbing to the Polynesian Flu, indeed I'm seriously considering 'saving up' for the Jan 2017 14 nighter which would also take in the Tuamotus and the Marquesas. This would be our third PG cruise (we've done two 7 nighters in the past).

I don't really know what advice I'm seeking here but would welcome general feedback on the merits of the 14 nighters. We love the PG, the extra cost is a factor but the romance of the seas is calling me to the Marquesas in particular.

I plan to ask our TA for quotes ex Akld. Let me know your thoughts on the itinerary.

We both enjoy general sightseeing and the beauty of the South Pacific, and I am a very keen snorkeler.

The Marquesas is a lovely relaxed itinerary but a very different one. There is no snorkelling to be had there but plenty of majestic beauty.

You will enjoy snorkelling the Tuamotus.

Welcome to the club!

We loved our Marquesas trip, and would do it again in a heartbeat. But yes, there's little snorkeling "up there". Of course you'd be doing the Tuamotus too, where there is great snorkeling. There was a fellow on our Marquesas trip who was a free diver. That means he dove straight down into the water with just a mask, and held his breath as long as possible before surfacing. Weird, but he seemed to like the Marquesas. The islands are very scenic, and the culture quite unspoiled. Nice wood carvings and tapa cloths.

• 2 weeks later...

In addition to checking out PG itineraries, have a look at the Aranui 5 freighter/passengers ship. It goes to more Marquesas ports than the PG and excursions are included, at least they were on the Aranui 3 and the Aranui 2. The freight part gives the ship an additional dimension because the locals will be in port to pick up their merchandise. Some ports are so small that the freight is unloaded via tenders.

The passengers are international. Last time we had groups from NZ, the US, Germany, and France. The ship had three guides on board, one for each language (English, French, German). They would come ashore with us. The athletic passenger set would go on hikes with one of the guides.

We just did this trip in August 2015 and loved it!! Would do it again in a heart beat. In fact we decided to do something different this year and we booked a cabin on the Aranui 5 for June 11th. We wanted to see the islands again but I wanted to do something different. We will be back on the PG for the reunion cruise in 2017.