Koper, Slovenia

Has anybody been to this port of call? It is our first stop on our Adriatic Explorer cruise in June and what I'd like to know is whether Koper is nice to have a wander around or is it best to do the trip to Piran. Any advice very much appreciated [emoji106]🏻[emoji3]

Thanks, Kay

Hi Kay yes we have been a few times and go again later this year. We have done the Ljubljana trip and really enjoyed it, but it was a long day, last year we just had a walk round the town and found it a bit quiet but pleasant. I am certain someone will be able to advise on Piran😀

Koper itself is nice, not huge but large enough to have a nice wander, and a coffee.

The Ljublana trip is really good, a great city, and you can also get a bit of time in Lake Bled, a stunning place.

Piran & Portoroz trip again is good, Piran in particular is a really lovely place, much more going on I'd say than Koper.

The good thing about Koper is your there till quite late, and it's a nice place to walk about in the evening.

Whatever you choose, you can't go wrong from Koper really - if I had to choose, I'd say Ljublana & Lakes Bled was my favourite.

Edited by Sailaway487

Piran is easy to do on the local bus service. We've done it a couple of times leaving Koper about 9 having two or three hours in Piran which is very picturesque and then back to spend a few hours in Koper. With your late sail away you will have loads of time. You could even break off your return journey by stopping at Portoroz on the way back. As you pass through Portoroz on your way to Piran, you can see whether you'd like to spend a bit of time there too. It's an attractive run to Piran from Koper. We picked up the bus timetable on line before we went although found the outward journey buses ran late but they were very prompt leaving Piran. That's at the end of the line so they turn round there. There was a tourist desk when we arrived where we picked up a local map and asked for directions to the bus stop.

Koper is a pleasant little town but with along stop there I'd definitely recommend going somewhere else for part of the day. We did the Ljubljana trip and enjoyed that too on one visit.

We were in Koper May 2014 and didn't book a tour so wandered in ourselves. There was a small market set up, a bit like our car boots to be honest, and I got a brilliant handbag there for 10 euros and have been trying to find another like it ever since. Wandered round and found a bar with wifi, then nearer the ship sat outside at a bar where Ray had a drink while I enjoyed a scrumptious pancake with honey and ice cream. Went back on board, and I nipped out later for a paddle. Quiet pleasant place.

We have been to Koper and had a pleasant stroll around the town and down to the promenade and marina. I believe there is now a HoHo bus from outside the port which goes to Piran and Portoroz with free time in one or both. We are going to try it this year. We have plenty time as not sailing till 11pm!

We have been to Koper and had a pleasant stroll around the town and down to the promenade and marina. I believe there is now a HoHo bus from outside the port which goes to Piran and Portoroz with free time in one or both. We are going to try it this year. We have plenty time as not sailing till 11pm!

Wow thanks Sheila great info - when do you go? [emoji2]

We used the coach from the quayside to Piran last May. It was €20 return and gave us a very interesting guide who explained about the history, geography, agriculture and economy of the area. We had about 2 hours in Piran. It was not a hoho bus as it went directly to Piran but passed through Portoroz. No-one got off at Portoroz.

The previous year DH and I used the local buses to Piran. It was less than €4 each way but for comfort, less stress (finding the bus stop was a nightmare), and a guaranteed seat, the extra cost was worth it.

We used the coach from the quayside to Piran last May. It was €20 return and gave us a very interesting guide who explained about the history, geography, agriculture and economy of the area. We had about 2 hours in Piran. It was not a hoho bus as it went directly to Piran but passed through Portoroz. No-one got off at Portoroz.

The previous year DH and I used the local buses to Piran. It was less than €4 each way but for comfort, less stress (finding the bus stop was a nightmare), and a guaranteed seat, the extra cost was worth it.

Thanks jakanne1 great info [emoji106]🏻

I went to see the dancing horses when we were in Koper but it was a bit of a let down as I thought I was going to see a show of them but it was just a wee bit of training and a tour around the stables with not much else.

I went to see the dancing horses when we were in Koper but it was a bit of a let down as I thought I was going to see a show of them but it was just a wee bit of training and a tour around the stables with not much else.

Thanks Lucie14 will definitely give that a miss [emoji106]🏻