N Amsterdam - Western Crb Cruise - Jan

CherryG

We just booked yesterday for the Western Crb cruise, leaving Jan. 24. This will be our second cruise on Holland America and we're looking forward to it. If anyone has been on this cruise and has any tips, concerns, or comments, I'd love to hear them.

My husband was hoping to scuba dive in Grand Cayman, but Holland America's excursions say if you're over 65 you can't. He's 71, so disappointed.

Also, I'm a little nervous about the tender into Grand Cayman. We read where some tender boats (not sure what cruise line), recently got stuck for 3 hours as the water was so rough. They couldn't go to the ship, or back to the island. Is the water in the Western C rougher normally, than the Southern C (which is what we're used to).

Thanks in advance for your comments.

:o

Be sure to try the tamarind if you enjoy Asian food.

The tendering can be quite bad at grand Cayman. I've seen first hand the situation you describe. Thankfully I didn't go ashore. It was rough enough when I went ashore in October. I've had some bad tendering experiences and I'm very Leary of tendering and I just turned 55.

The water in late January is much, much different than the weather in November and December. Cayman should be a relatively easy tender trip unless there's a storm.

Take a look at TripAdvisor for scuba alternatives for your husband. If that doesn't work, there are some excellent snorkeling opportunities. There's a restaurant called Rackham's, a short walk from the dock, and you can snorkel right there. Good food and drink, and surprisingly good fish viewing right off the restaurant's dock.

We took this same trip in Dec on the NA. Great ship, crew and food. All 3 specialty restaurant were really good. We had no problem tendering in Grand Cayman. The water was pretty calm. We had 4 ships in that day so it was a mad house but we still had fun. Cozemel was a nice stop. We wandered around the Promenade and had some drinks and food at Panchos Backyard. Pretty good. You will have a great time, enjoy.

We were also on the Eurodam in October and even though the water looked calm, the tenders had a difficult time getting people on and off them at the dock. Since I use a Rollator, I chose to stay on the ship.

We have been there many times and many different months. A couple of times in January and February when it was so rough, the ship skipped Grand Cayman -- other ships also skipped the port. And a couple of other ships anchored on the other side of the island -- not near town.

We just did the Western/Eastern Caribbean on Nieuw Amsterdam 11/29-12/13 (I just posted a review in this forum, it should answer some of your questions). The tenders in Grand Cayman were stopped for about 3 hours due to high seas when we were trying to get back to the ship. It poured down rain as well. Luckily, we found awnings to wait under at the pier. We were soaked to the skin anyway.