Has anyone been to the Belize Zoo?

PictureMom

I've been there once with my family, it's a relatively small zoo located in the forest. The cages there are large and sometimes it takes some patience for some of the animals to come around. I like that the animals are in semi simulated habitats and are all native to Belize. The must see are the Jaguar and Crocodiles! But i say the black jaguar takes this one!

We had the option to catch a cab from the Port area to the bus terminal and then take the public to mile 29, but instead We booked a private tour through waytogotoursbelize.com for the comfort of my family.

All in all it was a great experience, and i do recommend it for people of all ages!

We loved it a couple of years back with our then 18 month old.

We are going back next month with our now 4 year old and 2 year old.

Understand, it is a long distance away from the port area. First trip, we grabbed a cab. Big mistake. he rushed us through and we felt very unsafe.

This time we booked with Nacho and Silvia. WE have heard great things about them and booked them to take us there and the howler monkey sanctuary.

It is more costly, but my wife would never do the cab again.

I booked this excursion with Carnival for just myself. It was a good tour. Very warm in August as to be expected. Carry lots of small bills for food and trinkets. Also bring snacks for kids as we didn't eat until after the tour. I hauled butt to the restaurant because they don't give you a lot of time to get food and it is made to order. I loved the hotdogs with onions and mayo/mustard (?). Get coke in a bottle here.

• 1 month later...

My wife and I booked through Way To Go Tours and had a super day with Delroy traveling out to the Belize Zoo and then touring the city before returning to the port for our tender back to our cruise ship. Communication was excellent before our tour and Delroy gave us a great overview of his homeland which he loves deeply and serves as a wonderful ambassador for. The tour lasted about 3 1/2 hours and was very enjoyable.

It is takes about 45 minutes to drive to the zoo each way, probably a little more than an hour at the zoo and then a little less than an hour touring around the city itself.

My wife and I booked through Way To Go Tours and had a super day with Delroy traveling out to the Belize Zoo and then touring the city before returning to the port for our tender back to our cruise ship. Communication was excellent before our tour and Delroy gave us a great overview of his homeland which he loves deeply and serves as a wonderful ambassador for. The tour lasted about 3 1/2 hours and was very enjoyable.

It is takes about 45 minutes to drive to the zoo each way, probably a little more than an hour at the zoo and then a little less than an hour touring around the city itself.

This is a great zoo and if you really enjoy visiting zoos, this one shouldn't be missed. I recommend going with a small group so you can spend more time and visit at your own pace. The first time I went with a group and I was about halfway through and everyone else was already on the bus and ready to leave. The next time I went solo and had a great time viewing all of the animals and the local flora and fauna. It just depends on your personal interests and available time while in Belize.

• 2 weeks later...

We did end up going to the zoo on our cruise last week and it was great! We really loved it. Unfortunately it rained really hard on our way there and for part of our visit. We were not prepared for rain and got soaked! Will include an umbrella in my day pack from now on!! Even with the rain, we sure enjoyed seeing all the animals. Saw many Belize animals that I have not seen before. Especially enjoyed seeing tapirs up close and personal. The zoo is not very big. Only takes a few hours to get through it. A must see if you are an animal lover. You have to do some searching for some of the animals because their habitats are very green and set up like wild habitats. So great for the animals! Go if you get a chance!

This is a great zoo and if you really enjoy visiting zoos, this one shouldn't be missed. I recommend going with a small group so you can spend more time and visit at your own pace. The first time I went with a group and I was about halfway through and everyone else was already on the bus and ready to leave. The next time I went solo and had a great time viewing all of the animals and the local flora and fauna. It just depends on your personal interests and available time while in Belize.

Interested in why everyone else was ready to leave early?

Were they bored or maybe hot & tired? :confused: