Manatees in Fort Lauderdale ?

Thoie

So, the good news is that manatees are no longer endangered, and are now "just" threatened.

I know there are a number of places in Florida where you can view manatees, but they all seem to be further north. I don't want to swim with them, I'm happy to stand on a pier and look at them. Does anyone know if there are any nature reserves that manatees frequent in the immediate Fort Lauderdale area? I'll be there around late April, which sounds like it may be the end of their "lolling around Florida" season.

So, the good news is that manatees are no longer endangered, and are now "just" threatened.

I know there are a number of places in Florida where you can view manatees, but they all seem to be further north. I don't want to swim with them, I'm happy to stand on a pier and look at them. Does anyone know if there are any nature reserves that manatees frequent in the immediate Fort Lauderdale area? I'll be there around late April, which sounds like it may be the end of their "lolling around Florida" season.

We don't have the equivalent of Homosassa Springs or Crystal River. Sometimes they are seen in the intra-coastal and along the beach (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/pompano-beach/fl-manatees-20150720-story.html) but since they are wild animals it is unpredictable.

I just happened to read this article yesterday about the opening of the new Manatee Lagoon Discovery Center in Riviera Beach, about 1 hour north of Fort Lauderdale.

http://www.visitmanateelagoon.com/

http://www.palmbeachfl.com/listings/Manatee-Lagoon----An-FPL-Eco-Discovery-Center-Opening-Feb-2016-/42117/

Edited by brunello22

I just happened to read this article yesterday about the opening of the new Manatee Lagoon Discovery Center in Riviera Beach, about 1 hour north of Fort Lauderdale.

http://www.visitmanateelagoon.com/

http://www.palmbeachfl.com/listings/Manatee-Lagoon----An-FPL-Eco-Discovery-Center-Opening-Feb-2016-/42117/

Thanks Brunello - another attraction to add when the granddaughter comes to visit!

Thanks Brunello!

To the OP, I have only seen manatees in the wild twice in South Florida since the early nineties. The boating community has almost wiped them out over here.

You need to go to the west coast of Florida to see them in the wild or go to the place Brunello mentioned.

Thanks Brunello!

To the OP, I have only seen manatees in the wild twice in South Florida since the early nineties. The boating community has almost wiped them out over here.

You need to go to the west coast of Florida to see them in the wild or go to the place Brunello mentioned.

if you care about this you should be aware that your elected officials want to remove all speed restrictions from boating in FL because they say the manatee is no longer endangered . . .

BTW .... I see them in MANY places around Brevard County ... almost any day of the week . . .

At the Coast Guard Station in Canaveral we used to toss old lettuce into the water and allow a hose to run free and there were M's hanging out every day.

Edited by Capt_BJ

if you care about this you should be aware that your elected officials want to remove all speed restrictions from boating in FL because they say the manatee is no longer endangered . . .

BTW .... I see them in MANY places around Brevard County ... almost any day of the week . . .

At the Coast Guard Station in Canaveral we used to toss old lettuce into the water and allow a hose to run free and there were M's hanging out every day.

We used to also do that in Lake Worth at the Sailfish Marina. Now it is illegal to feed them or to run fresh water to them.

The top part will not happen because of the No Wake Zones along the Intracoastal.

Way too much boating money down here. Especially when you have 100+ foot yachts docked in the actual Intracoastal.

Thanks Brunello!

We see them sometimes when we are out on our paddle boards when we're paddling in the canals off the Intracoastal. One great spot is in that little lagoon area at the launch at George English Park. We had a mama and her baby circling around the boards. They're just so amazing to watch.

We see them sometimes when we are out on our paddle boards when we're paddling in the canals off the Intracoastal. One great spot is in that little lagoon area at the launch at George English Park. We had a mama and her baby circling around the boards. They're just so amazing to watch.

Aww! That's so sweet!

When we lived in Sarasota several years ago I worked at a waterfront restaurant and during mating season they would gather outside my bar.

I used to always see them on Siesta Key Beach. At least one if not two a weekend.

The top part will not happen because of the No Wake Zones along the Intracoastal.

Way too much boating money down here. Especially when you have 100+ foot yachts docked in the actual Intracoastal.

THESE are people leading the charge!

THEY want to speed thru and say the manatee has been coddled ENUF>>>>>

My boat $$$$ is more important than a Manatee ......

Edited by Capt_BJ