Australia Day cruise

newfarmers

In a weeks time we'll be in Sydney on Aria, front and centre for the day's activities and the fireworks, except we won't be. Yesterday we found out we are actually docking at White Bay 4.

I am such a big researcher but for this I fell well short. We've booked five balcony cabins on either side of the ship so that we made sure we'd be able to share our views of everything happening on the harbour.

Maybe P&O will surprise us and stay out in the harbour although Sydney Ports is pretty clear with what the four P&O ships will be doing.

If I'd known we would have to make our own way back out onto the harbour I just wouldn't have done this. Even the ferry from White Bay isn't operating.

From the facebook fan page the fireworks seem to be the big thing for most and we move out from White Bay for them. For us a day sitting out on the most beautiful harbours in the world was the whole purpose of this splurge.

Lesson learnt.:(

In a weeks time we'll be in Sydney on Aria, front and centre for the day's activities and the fireworks, except we won't be. Yesterday we found out we are actually docking at White Bay 4.

From the facebook fan page the fireworks seem to be the big thing for most and we move out from White Bay for them. For us a day sitting out on the most beautiful harbours in the world was the whole purpose of this splurge.

Lesson learnt.:(

Bugger! I think that I fell for a similar trap, but possibly not quite as bad. We are on Pearl and I think that we are at the Point Piper Buoy. However, my memory of the Australia Day fireworks (admittedly a long time ago) is that they are at Darling Harbour, so I am not sure that we will be able to see much of them from where we are either.

I wonder if the issue is with the Sydney Harbour Harbour Master and not P&O.

A few years ago Celebrity Millennium was set to berth at The Rocks overnight to be there for the New Years Eve fireworks. When the ship arrived she was berthed in White Bay and the passengers were outraged (at least those who posted their comments on Cruise Critic).

A few years ago Celebrity Millennium was set to berth at The Rocks overnight to be there for the New Years Eve fireworks. When the ship arrived she was berthed in White Bay and the passengers were outraged (at least those who posted their comments on Cruise Critic).

Possibly yes but possibly no Walt. P&O sell this cruise as a 'main event'. As being in amongst all of the festivities on the harbour. If some of their ships are at White Bay then they need to be very clear about that during the booking process. There is nothing 'main' or 'event' about being docked at White Bay on Australia Day.

I don't know that any of us would have booked if we'd realised that we would need to make our own way out onto the harbour. We've all spent approx $2500 for five days on Aria and to now have to pay to get around to Circular Quay or Darling Harbour and then pay again to get out on the harbour was money none of us expected to be having to fork out.

I don't even want to tell my parents (92 and 86) as this is potentially their last cruise. They have both been so excited about being able to sit and watch everything from their balcony. Now they'll get a view of Balmain Hill or the commercial port of White Bay. Very sad.

Edited by newfarmers

Possibly yes but possibly no Walt. P&O sell this cruise as a 'main event'....
Same deal with the Millennium situation. The cruise was sold with the very unusual overnight berthing and was promoting the New Years Eve Harbour Bridge fireworks display as a primary event.

Celebrity provided transport to The Rocks to help quell a passenger uprising, as I recall.

In any case I hope P&O come through, especially for your parents, and that all goes well. The kick-off of the new ships has had enough PR issues. I would be very surprised, that with all the PR, P&O would drop the ball on this one. They surely don't need another mess like this to add to their woes.

Hope it all works out for you.

Received an email from P&O this morning letting us know we'll be boarding and sailing later (no big deal) and with some detail about Sydney.

AUSTRALIA DAY IN SYDNEY

When Pacific Aria arrives in Sydney, the ship will be berthed at White Bay Wharf 4 to give everyone the opportunity to go ashore and experience all the Australia Day action happening around Sydney. A shuttle services will be operating between White Bay and the Sydney CBD, with the last bus back to the ship due to depart the CBD at 5pm. More details about the shuttle service will be provided to you onboard.

For details on what’s happening in Sydney on Australia Day, you can visit the NSW Australia Day Council’s website http://www.australiaday.com.au/.

The Australia Day celebrations will continue onboard into the evening, and Pacific Aria is scheduled to depart White Bay at 6:30pm to move to an anchorage location on Sydney Harbour for the evening fireworks display.

My bolding and underlining. We're coming to Sydney to spend Australia Day on the harbour, where Sydney's main 'action' is happening. Where in the CBD will they be dropping us? It's a public holiday so I'd imagine most of the city will be closed? I hope it's Darling harbour or Circular Quay and it better be bloody free :mad:

O be honest Walt, I doubt they'd let any ship dik at OPT On NYE, and even less so pre renovations.

There is normally a function on there and previously a couple of restaurants, one of he busiest pots in AUs NYE

When Pacific Aria arrives in Sydney, the ship will be berthed at White Bay Wharf 4 to give everyone the opportunity to go ashore and experience all the Australia Day action happening around Sydney. A shuttle services will be operating between White Bay and the Sydney CBD, with the last bus back to the ship due to depart the CBD at 5pm. More details about the shuttle service will be provided to you onboard.

You might wish to 'query' with P&O 'how many shuttle buses' they will be providing given how isolated White Bay is !!!

(love the 'more details provided to you onboard' /s)

as for 'where' your bus is going to drop you - mind that Darling Harbour could be somewhere like outside the entrances around Pyrmont Bridge ....... or with Circular Quay - now that's going to be a tricky one given the tram works in town. Expect a good 30mins on a bus to get to that point !! And as for shops... well you only have the Pitt Street Mall areas that will be open.

Edited by shireboi

Received an email from P&O this morning letting us know we'll be boarding and sailing later (no big deal) and with some detail about Sydney.

AUSTRALIA DAY IN SYDNEY

For details on what’s happening in Sydney on Australia Day, you can visit the NSW Australia Day Council’s website http://www.australiaday.com.au/.

The Australia Day celebrations will continue onboard into the evening, and Pacific Aria is scheduled to depart White Bay at 6:30pm to move to an anchorage location on Sydney Harbour for the evening fireworks display.

My bolding and underlining. We're coming to Sydney to spend Australia Day on the harbour, where Sydney's main 'action' is happening. Where in the CBD will they be dropping us? It's a public holiday so I'd imagine most of the city will be closed? I hope it's Darling harbour or Circular Quay and it better be bloody free :mad:

Yes - the shuttle will be free.

http://www.cruisecritic.com.au/news/news.cfm?ID=6761

Sydney Harbour, Australia Day on board Aria, watching the Ferry Races, Tall Ships and all the festivities from the comfort of my own champagne stocked private balcony. This was the dream about six months ago when I booked. Now it looks like I'll just have to watch it all unfold on my cabin TV whilst 'parked' at beautiful White Bay. Unless of course I want to jump on the afore mentioned shuttle and head to Darling Harbour with a million other people vying for the privilege of paying $17 for a sausage sanga. Anyway, whatever the outcome we intend to have a darn good time. At least I'll have the pool, bars and restaurants all to myself ;))

Well this is a big blow to our plans. We only booked this cruise so we could sit in the middle of Sydney harbour and enjoy the festivities without tens of thousands of people crowding around us.

Now we have been advised TODAY, that our ship the Pacific Aria is spending the day berthed at White Bay, where there is absolutely nothing to see. Yes I understand there will be free shuttle bus to the CBD, but then we will have to fight our way to get to the foreshore to maybe get a glimpse of something....

This seems to be false advertising on P and O 's part, and I doubt I would have paid premium rates if I had been told straight up that we would be docked at White Bay and have to shuttle into the crowded CBD.

We will make the best of the situation and will probably just stay on board for the day, but I feel that some sort of apology and compensation should be given for having the "main event" whipped away from us. It's extremely disappointing, especially only being informed at such a late date. Probably don't need to pack my little Australia flags now, might as well just have booked a cruise to nowhere. :(

We've bitten the bullet and six of our 10 have booked a Captain Cook cruise to watch the Tall Ships race and parade.

Thank you Cruise Critic for taking this up with P&O on my behalf.

I'm glad we're not the only ones who feel let down by P&O. Like KJ and wss999 we booked specifically because we believed that we would be out on he harbour. We only worked it out we were at White Bay after one of us was on Sydney Ports. I would imagine most people will have found out today.

I notice next year's cruises are being marketed more clearly - Docked Sydney or Scenic Cruising Sydney Harbour.

We will have a great time! We are on a cruise ship! With a great group of friends! We live in a safe and wonderful country and I will celebrate our national day with pride! :):)

What a great idea to book a harbour cruise to see the sights we have been deprived of by P and O. I wouldn't have thought there would still be tickets available , but I booked and paid last night successfully. Then I noticed boarding passes were supposed to be picked up in Sydney 2 days prior to the harbour cruise. Uh oh.....sleepless night then followed .

But, happy news this morning with a follow up email from Captain Cook cruises saying they will accept a printed copy of my reservation record on the day. No printed copy...no travel ..most emphatically !

So thanks again for a great idea, I can now cheerfully pack my Australia Day flags and T shirt yay!

Have a great cruise, we will definitely be happy cruisers as well. :D

Then I noticed boarding passes were supposed to be picked up in Sydney 2 days prior to the harbour cruise. Uh oh.....sleepless night then followed .

But, happy news this morning with a follow up email from Captain Cook cruises saying they will accept a printed copy of my reservation record on the day. No printed copy...no travel ..most emphatically !

:D

I wondered why I got nothing but a receipt! I'll email them as well. Thanks right back at you KJ!

Thanks NEWFARMERS & KJ OZ for the heads up on the Captain Cook Cruises idea. Just booked their Tall Ships & Parade cruise, thought something like this would have been booked out long ago, also thought cost would be more than $45. Pity we can't let other disappointed cruisers know about this option. The only problem I can see now is P&O getting us to Circular Quay in time! KJ I've emailed Capt.Cook re the special events boarding pass just to get extra confirmation that our reservation sheets will be accepted. SmoothSailing ;))

Just received this.

Dear whysoserious,

Thank you for choosing to cruise with Captain Cook Cruises and Matilda Cruises for your Australia day cruise.

Please use your Reservation Record (attached in your confirmation email) as your boarding pass for the cruise. Reservation Records must be printed out and presented at check in on the day of travel. The Reservation Record needs to be in the possession of one passenger only in the group.

We will not accept electronic copies shown on phones, tablets or other devices. No printed physical copy of the Reservation Record, no travel. We will not be issuing tickets on the day of travel. If you are unable to print off the attached document, you will need to collect your tickets at least 24 hours prior to sailing.

If you have any further queries or require further information, please do not hesitate to contact us.

The Captain, the crew and all the staff with Captain Cook Cruises and Matilda Cruises wish you a fantastic cruise.

We asked P&O for more details. They will hopefully have an answer about the drop-off point in the CBD tomorrow.

Here's the current schedule, which is more up to date than what's listed on Sydney Ports website:

http://www.cruisecritic.com.au/news/news.cfm?ID=6761

Any word from P&O today? They're not exactly very good at responding to any kind of enquiry :(

As long as they drop us off somewhere within walking distance to a train station e.g. Town Hall, St James etc, it will be easy to catch a city circle train to Circular Quay, just a few minutes away, and the train station entrance pops out right at the numbered Quays, we just need to find number 6 Quay. It will probably be very busy on the train, but they do run frequently.

I don't think we will hear anything about the drop off point until we board the ship, where they are apparently " going to have staff members to assist you ".

I am still waiting for any acknowledgement of an email I sent to P and O expressing our deep disappointment with their misrepresentation of our Australia Day activities. I did ring them initially, but the overseas operator, who I could hardly understand, couldn't quite grasp the problem with being shoved out at White Bay instead of anchored in the middle of the Harbour. He kept saying ,but you are going to be on the waterfront and you will have a wonderful day seeing everything! Then he palmed me off by saying about the staff assistance on board.

Anyway, we are moving on and I am getting quite excited as it is not long to go now, and I am so happy we will get the opportunity to get out on the water admits the Tall ships and Parade. :)

Still waiting for an answer, but my guess would be the drop off would be in Darling Harbour. It's the closest convenient point to White Bay, there's a fair capacity for drop-offs and pick-ups, shops and tourist facilities would be open, and it's a clear walk to the city if desired.

Still waiting for an answer, but my guess would be the drop off would be in Darling Harbour. It's the closest convenient point to White Bay and it's a clear walk to the city if desired.

Not for my 92yo father and 86yo mother it's not...

Aside from where, I'm now more concerned with how.

The two ships that will be docked at White Bay have a capacity of over 3,500 people. I know many will choose to stay onboard, some will have booked the shore excursions on offer, but if even quarter choose to go on the free shuttles, that's close to 900 people.

How is this going to be managed?

Wow, I hope it is not Darling Harbour, or at the very least Darling a Harbour would be one of two drop off points. I agree with Newfarmers there will probably be a lot of people waiting for shuttles and now we have to work to a timetable to get down to Circular Quay in time for the harbour cruise. This relaxing Australia Day cruise sure has become a nail biter. :confused:

KJ, Can you swim?

we can race :)

seriously though, if the shuttle queue is too long or is dropping off too far from the Quay we might taxi to one of the Balmain ferry stops.

From Balmain East at the end of Darling Street leaves at 10:13 arriving 10:28, then 11:19 arriving at 11:34.

From Balmain at end of Mort Street they're hourly at 36 past the hour arriving Circular Quay 47 past the hour.

Both alternatives arrive into wharf 5.

And here we are. Arrived in the darkness and in White Bay at 4. Shuttle is to Town Hall described by the less than fit looking cruise director as a "short walk to Circular Quay". Not for the many elderly passengers on board it's not. No Oz Day festivities on deck due to noise restructions in White Bay. The cruise should have been sold as a Non Event. Feeling so ripped off.

To add insult to injury we are in 9134. It is right above the stage of the Blue Room. The cabin is unusable from nine until midnight when the band stops. Even the ear plugs that I demanded from reception didn't help.

What a disappointment.