Pregnancy guidelines while cruising?

Jgsoccer7

Hi,

My husband and I booked a cruise for the first week in June 2016 before finding out we are pregnant with our first child!

I will be entering my 30th week the week of the cruise...

Has anyone cruised before at 30 weeks? Does anyone know NCL's policy? If so, are they strict about it? I already talked to my midwife and she had no issue with us still going as long as we arent having any issues then...

Thanks!

You will NOT be cruising at all.

Norwegian Cruise Line will not accept guests who will have entered their 24th week of pregnancy by the time their travel with Norwegian Cruise Line concludes. A statement from the expectant mother's doctor (letter head form required), stating her due date and fitness to travel must be sent to Norwegian Cruise Line's Access Desk. Norwegian Cruise Line will not be responsible or liable for any complications of pregnancy which arise or occur during the cruise.

Yes as others have already said they won't allow anyone who has entered 24 weeks of pregnancy to a cruise. This might seem totally unfair as usually the mid pregnancy is a very easy period of pregnancy and as such it would be ideal to travel. The reason behind the rule is that if you'd go into labour at 24 weeks on land doctors would try all they can to save your baby (at 23 weeks they wouldn't yet). And as there simply are no possibility to help passengers in that kind of unfortunate situation onboard they simply refuse all pregnant passengers who have passed this critical timeline.

Hi,

My husband and I booked a cruise for the first week in June 2016 before finding out we are pregnant with our first child!

I will be entering my 30th week the week of the cruise...

Has anyone cruised before at 30 weeks? Does anyone know NCL's policy? If so, are they strict about it? I already talked to my midwife and she had no issue with us still going as long as we arent having any issues then...

Thanks!

NCL announces pregnant women can delay or reschedule due to Zika

http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/...126-story.html

As things get more serious at least the company is thinking about their passengers and letting folks reschedule or change up their cruise

I have read that a lot of women don't even mention it and are never asked, but I guess it depends on how big you are. I didn't want to risk it because I would be too anxious over it, but I'll be 23 weeks on the cruise. Anytime after that, the fetus can survive and I don't think it would be worth the risk of going bankrupt to get airlifted if something happened God forbid :(

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

So here's something I'd ask pregnant and traveling moms to be to consider... If you go into premature labor or have preeclampsia in the second trimester we would try to keep you pregnant, manage the complication and keep you pregnant to save your baby. While considering your well being too of course. It's often very complicated and highly specialized. I don't know if the cruise ship or hospitals in dr or other islands would be able to do that. Even though it's not a huge risk it makes me really worry. Please know that's why I mention these potential complications. You might be allowed to leave the country til 24 weeks, but know the risks. I want you all to have nice healthy babies!

That is why they have the 24 week cut off...anything before is basically a bad miscarriage no matter where or what. I have been told this by my doctor and heard it multiple times from other resources. After that the fetus can live outside the womb, needing serious medical attention. I definitely agree, leaving the country afterwards is very risky. Even places like Cancun might be a big city but who knows how the healthcare is there. :/

Edited by spiritled3

Don't risk it. It isn't worth it! I went on a baby moon 2 week cruise at 20 weeks and had miscarried on the flight back. It might not happen to you but why risk it. When the baby is older you can go on another cruise.

But then there was the woman who boarded a Cunard ship and delivered a boy while on board. How she was allowed to board in the first place remains a mystery. The infant now has U.S. citizenship rather than the Canadian they were planning on.....

http://nypost.com/2016/01/18/woman-gives-birth-to-baby-boy-on-board-queen-mary-2/

But then there was the woman who boarded a Cunard ship and delivered a boy while on board. How she was allowed to board in the first place remains a mystery. The infant now has U.S. citizenship rather than the Canadian they were planning on.....

http://nypost.com/2016/01/18/woman-gives-birth-to-baby-boy-on-board-queen-mary-2/

The article states "Queen Mary 2., the world's largest ocean liner..."

That doesn't seem right, or is it somehow not considered a regular cruise ship?

Don't risk it. It isn't worth it! I went on a baby moon 2 week cruise at 20 weeks and had miscarried on the flight back. It might not happen to you but why risk it. When the baby is older you can go on another cruise.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

A cruise ship is not the same as an ocean liner.

Since the OP hasn't returned.....

I googled cruise ship vs ocean liner. There is a significant difference and it was pretty interesting that for the same size, ocean liners may cost twice as much to build as a comparable cruise ship.

Thanks for enlightening me.

So sorry brikee! Thank you for sharing what can happen, I'm sure it can't be easy.

Yes it's a very sad thing to go through and i wouldn't want anyone else to go through if it can be avoided. Thankfully we are blessed with two beautiful boys now. But whenever I hear someone is pregnant I always tell them to take it easy and be careful so they can have a safe pregnancy.

Since the OP hasn't returned.....

I googled cruise ship vs ocean liner. There is a significant difference and it was pretty interesting that for the same size, ocean liners may cost twice as much to build as a comparable cruise ship.

Thanks for enlightening me.

My friend, if you get a chance someday to cross the "pond" in that mighty vessel do not hesitate to do so. She is so much different that the NCL ships that we know and love, and you can take this from a dedicated NCL fanboy. She plows into gale force winds the way the Staten Island Ferry sails NY Harbor in a dead calm. She is larger that the Breakaway, and yet carries about 60 % of that ships passenger load. The room of the vessel allows you to feel that you are part of the sea. And even on the roughest sea day, you have a sense of calm because you KNOW the Queen can handle it without batting an eye. She is I sense the last of her breed. Sail her while you still can!