Whats the chance of getting a last minute cruise?

I live near Tampa. Oasis of the Seas is sailing tomorrow, probably with lots of empty cabins due to the snow conditions in the East.

Is it wishful thinking to think I could show up with a suitcase and passport and book a cabin tomorrow?

What a dream that would be.

Thanks.

Judy

The wife of someone I work with at least 3-4 times a years goes to the port day of sailing without a reservation and 99% time gets on a ship. Can't be picky about location/room type but it never hurts to try.

Change one name and say the other person isn't coming when you check in???

I suppose they can be a no show......but if they cancel,they would get some money back(taxes,fees,tips..More with insurance) so I am sure they would like to be able to recoup some

My father lives near Tampa. He does it all the time with all different cruise lines. Sometimes he gets lucky sometimes he doesnt.
Not with RCCL.......and I doubt with any other line in this day and age.........the names have to be on the manifest at least 24 hours prior.Kinda scary to think they would let anyone board last minute...

The wife of someone I work with at least 3-4 times a years goes to the port day of sailing without a reservation and 99% time gets on a ship. Can't be picky about location/room type but it never hurts to try.

Which cruiselines allow this???

Edited by PH8

I live near Tampa. Oasis of the Seas is sailing tomorrow, probably with lots of empty cabins due to the snow conditions in the East.

Is it wishful thinking to think I could show up with a suitcase and passport and book a cabin tomorrow?

What a dream that would be.

Thanks.

Judy

They probably wouldn't let you through the security gates(you drive through) in Pt Everglades,without proof of sailing..

Which port does she go to?

They probably wouldn't let you through the security gates(you drive through) in Pt Everglades,without proof of sailing..

One time at Port Everglades they wanted to see all documentation (Setsail pass and Passports)

Another time they weren't interested in my setsail pass but wanted to see my passports.

With their inconsistencies it make me wonder if they're not RCI employees. :D

I am also curious about the ability to show up last-minute and get onto a cruise ship for a great price :) Or the next-best alternative of calling within 24 hours of sailing and getting a booking before heading to the cruise port. (Though I really don't live close enough to any port to give it a try myself.)

There have been comments about a "post-9/11 world" and security concerns with people trying to get into ports or onto ships last-minute. I don't see any real concern. There is a lot of FUD about security and leading security experts have frequently called out many post-9/11 security measures as "theatre" and for show, including measures enacted by the TSA such as their liquids/gels/aerosols rules and so on.

Either the security screening measures being used work, or they don't (side note, the TSA regularly fails security audits, as officials posing as passengers can frequently sneak weapons through). It does not make a difference whether somebody books 2 years in advance or shows up during the morning of embarkation. Surely we don't believe that malefactors wouldn't think to book in advance?

I have zero concerns about people showing up last-minute and would be very happy to see some of our friends in this community getting a great deal this way :)

How do they get through security? It's not like an airport