Cruising w/ a toddler... Potty time

LilMissScareAll

We're taking my 2 year old on his 2nd cruise next month. It'll be the first time he's old enough for CC, so we're going to try it out and see if he likes it. His great-grandma babysits him at home while mom & dad work, so he's never been in daycare/left with non-family, so not sure how he'll do.

Anyway, my question is about the bathroom procedures. Carnival's site says they'll change diapers for those not potty trained at this age, but will they help kids that are PLed?

My son is 100% PLed, but he can't pull his pants up/down or wipe for himself yet. I was considering NCL for Oct cruise and their site specifically says that they won't, so that lead me to try to search Carnival's site.

What exactly is "Potty Learned?"

That's what I want to know.

Is he potty trained? That's the common term. If so, they will not go in the bathroom with him. He'll need to be able to do the task independently. If he's in diapers, they will change him. Just have to bring your own diapers and wipes.

I'm not offended by the word training. I trained my dog to do lots of tricks using rewards and treats. My son learned to use the potty b/c that's what mom and dad do and he likes to copy. Would you say your kid is fork trained when they learn to use utensils?

But the terminology isn't really important. PTed / PLed. Either way my kid doesn't wear diapers and can tell us when he has to go to the bathroom.

If we can't use the kids club, that's fine. I'm not going to put him back into diapers just so he can go play.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I'm not offended by the word training. I trained my dog to do lots of tricks using rewards and treats. My son learned to use the potty b/c that's what mom and dad do and he likes to copy. Would you say your kid is fork trained when they learn to use utensils?

But the terminology isn't really important. PTed / PLed. Either way my kid doesn't wear diapers and can tell us when he has to go to the bathroom.

If we can't use the kids club, that's fine. I'm not going to put him back into diapers just so he can go play.

Use whatever terminology you want. Those responding just weren't clear on what you meant since I doubt people dig that deep worrying about the semantics of it. Just like I don't care for the word kid, but most people use it so I have learned to let stuff like that go. In any case, I myself would never suggest a child go back to diapers just to participate in school or camp. And really that's hardly necessary. He knows how to go to the bathroom without diapers. He just needs assistance with wiping and his clothes. Completely understandable. He's just a little guy. But from what I have read and have been told by others who bring littles ones in this phase of "learning," the counselors will not go in the bathroom with them. Either they can go on their own or they can't.

If there's time, try working with him to get him comfortable with the task. If not, then you may want to opt out of camp, but go and talk to the counselor first. That way you will be 100% sure for yourself. Enjoy your cruise.

LOL. of course not. My kid is fork learned, or "FL" for short.

You could let him go to camp but check in with him frequently and take him yourself. Like every hour and a half. I went on a cruise in May with my 2 (unpotty trained) and 3 year old (potty trained but needed a little help) and that is what I did. But more so because I wasn't comfortable with someone I didn't know changing/helping them. They also called me a few times in between when they needed me.

They helped my (at the time) 2 year old daughter straighten out her pants. She tried to pull them up but wasn't the best at it yet. I don't know if they would help her wipe because we never ran into that issue (she could wipe herself for pee and did not poop at camp). They do give you a phone so they can reach you wherever you are. If you are worried about it, just go and tell them he may need some help, and if he has to go poop to call you and you will come up and help him. If he is like mine, even if it takes you a few minutes to get to the camp he will still be in the potty when you get there. Just fixing his pants for him after shouldn't be a problem, I'm sure they would help him. My 5 year old still has trouble with the buttons on pants sometimes, I'm sure they see it all the time.

I have never heard the term PLed...interesting. I had my child in camp twice while he was 2-once while in diapers and once while he was potty training. I think he was in pull-ups or maybe just underwear during the day and a pull-up at night. I would just have the camp counselors call you when your son needs to go to the bathroom-have him go right before you go to camp. I don't think they will offer help in the bathroom.