NCL Dining

croozer

I just returned from my first NCL cruise in a long time. On other lines, I always chose fixed seating but this was not an option on the NCL Jewel, so I was kinda looking forward to anytime dining and meeting new people. I've enjoyed open dining during breakfast and lunch on other cruise lines, so I was kinda looking forward to different tables each night. I've heard that the advantage is that you meet new people each night; the disadvantage is you rarely see them again and the conversation is entry level (Where are you from? What other cruises have you been on?) each night--kind of a Groundhog Day type of dinner every evening.

Well, each meal until I gave up, I went to check in and asked for a table to share, and they do not do this, it seems. They were willing to seat me and see if they could round up some other people, but they preferred just seating people alone, in ones and twos and groups that came in together.

I ate every meal, except one, alone with my book.

I'm pretty independent and like to be left alone most of the time, but I do enjoy conversation and new people at dinner. I'm not looking for a singles table, just joining others in camaraderie for a meal.

Is this the way it is on all NCL ships? Can anyone share their experience? I don't want to go on another NCL ship if this is a fleet-wide policy.

I prefer to eat alone and therefore prefer NCL where it is never a problem. Having spent close to 60 nights on board, I only remember 2 or 3 times when I was asked if I wanted to share a table. I declined and was prompted seated by myself at a 2-top or 4-top depending on what was available.

Some people have reported success in being seated with others on NCL but it seems to me that they really aren't set up to accommodate it. I've seen some reports indicating that NCL's newer ships may make more of an effort in this regard, but who knows if that is "policy" or just chance occurrence.

I think if you sail on one of the newer ships (Getaway, Epic, Breakaway etc.) that have the studios and go to the solos gathering each night, they arrange for dinner as a group. But I think if you want to just go to a dining room whenever you are ready to eat, you are unlikely to have an opportunity to sit with others.

In my experience other cruise lines are much more likely to gently push you to share with others, while NCL seems to gently push you to eat on your own! :)

Thank you for your replies. This is pretty much what I surmised from my experience. While I do enjoy dining alone, I've had some wonderful tables of people where I couldn't wait to get to dinner and see what they'd done all day. I'm not interested in being segregated with other "singles," just want that lovely cruise experience that I've enjoyed in the past. It's clear to me that NCL just isn't a fit for me. I appreciate hearing how other people here on this board perceive their approach.

Thank you for your replies. This is pretty much what I surmised from my experience. While I do enjoy dining alone, I've had some wonderful tables of people where I couldn't wait to get to dinner and see what they'd done all day. I'm not interested in being segregated with other "singles," just want that lovely cruise experience that I've enjoyed in the past. It's clear to me that NCL just isn't a fit for me. I appreciate hearing how other people here on this board perceive their approach.

The don't sit you with other "singles", they sit you with other solos.

Perhaps I used the wrong word. I don't necessarily want to be seated with other solo travelers, either. I like meeting couples and seeing how they interact between themselves and among each other, and I've never felt like I was the odd person out at a table for 8 with three couples and me.

Perhaps I used the wrong word. I don't necessarily want to be seated with other solo travelers, either. I like meeting couples and seeing how they interact between themselves and among each other, and I've never felt like I was the odd person out at a table for 8 with three couples and me.

I think the only way for you to sit with others(not solos) is if you kind of got to talking with people and make friends with them and then maybe they would ask you to come to dinner with them. I don't see it any other way, NCL does not sit people, couples or families together with others.

Thanks, croozer, for starting this discussion.

It's interesting to see the difference between cruise lines. All of my cruises to date have been on Princess and my experience there has been the exact opposite: with Anytime Dining, when you show up at the dining room, they ask you if you are willing to share a table with others and, if you answer in the affirmative, they seat you at the next 6- or 8-topper that is filling up.

I've been eyeing a few cruises on NCL (to get away from the solo supplements) but this thread is giving me pause.

Thanks for your input, Croptop. I think it all depends on what you enjoy about cruising. My brother took his first cruise on Princess and wanted to dine alone, but tables of two were rare, so he had to wait about 45 minutes almost every night. I, on the other hand, enjoy being assigned a larger table. My purpose is starting this thread was to find out if my experience on NCL was unusual to the ship, or norm for the line. Since my preference is to be social for dinner, this line doesn't seem like a good fit for me. It has lots of other good qualities but I sure did miss the dinner fun and friendship.

As others have said, if you go to the solo gatherings you'll have ample opportunity to eat dinner with other solos. Sounds like that's not for you though. Another option is to be active in your roll call and invite people from there to eat together.

One of the things I love about NCL is that I'm not forced to eat with strangers, but if I want to have meals with others, I can.

Not every cruise line is a fit for every person. :o

Thanks, croozer, for starting this discussion.

It's interesting to see the difference between cruise lines. All of my cruises to date have been on Princess and my experience there has been the exact opposite: with Anytime Dining, when you show up at the dining room, they ask you if you are willing to share a table with others and, if you answer in the affirmative, they seat you at the next 6- or 8-topper that is filling up.

I've been eyeing a few cruises on NCL (to get away from the solo supplements) but this thread is giving me pause.

My experience is that NCL is a solo-friendly line. If dining with others is important to you, then as another poster mentioned, go to the solo get togethers each evening and you'll have plenty of dinner companions on anh of the ships with studio cabins. You don't have to be in a studio to go to the get togethers each evening--they're open to any solos.

My experience is that NCL is a solo-friendly line. If dining with others is important to you, then as another poster mentioned, go to the solo get togethers each evening and you'll have plenty of dinner companions on anh of the ships with studio cabins. You don't have to be in a studio to go to the get togethers each evening--they're open to any solos.

The OP mentioned that she has no interest dining with solos, she prefers dinning with other couples.

The OP mentioned that she has no interest dining with solos, she prefers dinning with other couples.

Yes, I responded to the OP in my previous post and acknowledged that. The post you quoted was to another poster who said he or she was considering sailing with NCL. I wasn't being oblivious to what the OP said. :)

Edited by Quilting_Cruiser

I wasn't sailing solo, but had a couple of meals on my own aboard Norwegian Majesty in 2009 (roommate was seasick one evening, and another time she and I returned at separate times from excursions). Both nights I was in the main dining room, and the maitre'd asked me if I preferred a table for one or to join another table. I ended up in in a group of four one evening (one couple, two solos), and a group of about ten the second evening (several couples, several solos).

Both times were very nice, but the big group was especially fun. We had the obligatory "everybody introduce yourselves around the table" introductions, got to chat with people from three different countries, with ages ranging from thirteen to seventy. It was just very relaxed. I didn't talk a lot during the meal for four (the couple had traveled all over and their stories were marvelous), but gave a lot of advice to some of my dinnermates at the big table, since I was from Orlando and several of them had Disney World trips in planning.

I'm sure experiences vary based on attitudes and expectations of all concerned. I was a little awkward at first, but kept an open mind, and it was clear that my table-mates were the same, so it was fun.

I will be cruising next week on NCL Getaway, my first time cruising in a studio cabin but not my first time cruising solo. Because you need to make reservations for dinner ahead of time on line in order to dine at the more popular dining times, I was advised by an NCL rep. to reserve for 4 even though I am traveling solo. She said if I don't find table mates (solo cruisers or others) for the nights I reserved I can cancel my reservations on the ship (preferably 24 hours prior to reservation time). So, since the reservation system won't let me make a reservation for one at most of the dining venues I had to book for 2 or more to secure a time and find my own table mates or join the other solo cruisers at the location and time selected by the solo organizer on the ship (or dine alone at the buffet, etc).

I do not have a preference whether I dine with other solo cruisers, couples or families. I am also more use to assigned dining times and the same table in the dining room every night. Luckily I am quite outgoing and don't think it will be too much of a problem approching others to find dining companions, but it is odd, in my opinion, that this is what I was advised to do. Why can't I make a reservation for One if I am cruising solo in a studio cabin for One? This cruise will help me decide if NCL free style dining is for me or not.

I do plan to attend the scheduled solo gathering at least the first couple days on board. I'm guessing I will meet others who did not book dining reservations ahead on the my NCL page, so I think finding dining companions there might be a good start. Will check back here after my cruise and let others know how it went. :)

I will be cruising next week on NCL Getaway, my first time cruising in a studio cabin but not my first time cruising solo. Because you need to make reservations for dinner ahead of time on line in order to dine at the more popular dining times, I was advised by an NCL rep. to reserve for 4 even though I am traveling solo. She said if I don't find table mates (solo cruisers or others) for the nights I reserved I can cancel my reservations on the ship (preferably 24 hours prior to reservation time). So, since the reservation system won't let me make a reservation for one at most of the dining venues I had to book for 2 or more to secure a time and find my own table mates or join the other solo cruisers at the location and time selected by the solo organizer on the ship (or dine alone at the buffet, etc).

I do not have a preference whether I dine with other solo cruisers, couples or families. I am also more use to assigned dining times and the same table in the dining room every night. Luckily I am quite outgoing and don't think it will be too much of a problem approching others to find dining companions, but it is odd, in my opinion, that this is what I was advised to do. Why can't I make a reservation for One if I am cruising solo in a studio cabin for One? This cruise will help me decide if NCL free style dining is for me or not.

I do plan to attend the scheduled solo gathering at least the first couple days on board. I'm guessing I will meet others who did not book dining reservations ahead on the my NCL page, so I think finding dining companions there might be a good start. Will check back here after my cruise and let others know how it went. :)

I hope you have a great time! I also find the advice to book a table for four and then look for table mates odd. When I sailed on the Jade--my first solo cruise and I had UDP--I booked for 1. The only restaurant I couldn't do that in was Tepenyaki and I just changed my reservation to 1 when I got on the ship. I didn't want to dine with others and didn't go to the solo meets. I'm booked on the Epic in five weeks and plan to go to the solo get together at least the first evening, but TBH I doubt I'll do many if any dinners with a group of people. I enjoy sailing solo. :o

Have you joined your roll call? That's another good way to meet people who'll be on your sailing.

Thanks for the info, runner15km. I'm just trying to figure out if my experience on the Jewel two weeks ago is a fleetwide policy, or just the way they handle things on this particular ship. There are a lot of things I like about NCL, but I do enjoy sharing dinner with and conversation with some new people without having to round up people and set a time and decide on a restaurant. All this input is very helpful.

Hi I was on the Dawn last spring. The next to the last night I asked for a sharing table,which I then had to create. No one came. I had a very terrible dinner eating alone. The last night it happened again. No one came. I did see the restaurant manager and I told her my problem. She called the hostess and within 5 minutes a couple came to my table. I don't think the hostess was asking anyone if they would share a table. I really dislike not knowing who,if any people I might be sharing a dinner table with. I really prefer having a fixed dinner time. I did go to the nightly solo gatherings,but usually no one wanted to eat in the main dining room. I will not go on NCL unless the price is absolutely fantastic. Also no lobster in the main dining room(on my last btob cruise on Carnival Dream I had it 4 times!). NCl is one of my least favorite cruise lines. Kendra

Hi, Kendra. Thanks for sharing this info. I pretty much agree with everything you said, except personally, I don't need to know who I'll be sharing a table with, just that I will have some company for dinner and potentially meet some nice people. You hit on an interesting point, that the hostess never asks anyone if they want to share--I saw lots of tables of two people totally bored with each other and having nothing to say after being together all day anyway. And a number of tables with one occupant, many of whom didn't bring a book and just stared off into space.

And here's my solution: The hostess should ask each and every person entering the dining room if they would like to share or have their own table. If even 10 per cent of the people respond "share," there would be a more lively atmosphere in the dining room. The people who want their own table would feel like they've won, because there's plenty of tables for two and four and they feel special because their choice is accommodated. The people who want to share would feel like they've won, since they will have dinner companions.

I wish I had known this before I booked the Jewel. I don't want to be flamed for having this opinion--I know many people are NCL cheerleaders and this is just my opinion--but had I known I would be dining alone at every breakfast, lunch and dinner in the dining room, I would have chosen another line.

The dining room on my cruise was like a morgue--no laughter, no music, no feeling of joy or the meal being a special occasion. I thought I'd try open seating (I wanted to try it, but there was no option for fixed seating anyway) but it seems to work differently on Norwegian than on other lines. I'm already booked on a Transatlantic on another line in March, and I already have a confirmation of 8 p.m. dining, table for 8.

Hi, Kendra. Thanks for sharing this info. I pretty much agree with everything you said, except personally, I don't need to know who I'll be sharing a table with, just that I will have some company for dinner and potentially meet some nice people. You hit on an interesting point, that the hostess never asks anyone if they want to share--I saw lots of tables of two people totally bored with each other and having nothing to say after being together all day anyway. And a number of tables with one occupant, many of whom didn't bring a book and just stared off into space.

And here's my solution: The hostess should ask each and every person entering the dining room if they would like to share or have their own table. If even 10 per cent of the people respond "share," there would be a more lively atmosphere in the dining room. The people who want their own table would feel like they've won, because there's plenty of tables for two and four and they feel special because their choice is accommodated. The people who want to share would feel like they've won, since they will have dinner companions.

I wish I had known this before I booked the Jewel. I don't want to be flamed for having this opinion--I know many people are NCL cheerleaders and this is just my opinion--but had I known I would be dining alone at every breakfast, lunch and dinner in the dining room, I would have chosen another line.

The dining room on my cruise was like a morgue--no laughter, no music, no feeling of joy or the meal being a special occasion. I thought I'd try open seating (I wanted to try it, but there was no option for fixed seating anyway) but it seems to work differently on Norwegian than on other lines. I'm already booked on a Transatlantic on another line in March, and I already have a confirmation of 8 p.m. dining, table for 8.

Are you within the penalty window so you can cancel? If that's important to you, I agree that NCL probably isn't the line for you if you're sailing on a ship without studios. It's a shame people feel the need to flame just because you have a preference that's different from theirs, but we see it all the time You're certainly entitled to your opinion! I prefer to eat alone when I sail solo, so I wouldn't want to sail on a line that would require I sit with others to eat in the MDR. But, that's my preference and doesn't have to be yours! :rolleyes: NCL suits me because of the way I like to cruise, but I'm certainly not a cheerleader (for any line) and I won't flame you for preferring something different. :D

Thanks for chiming in, Quilting_Cruiser. I don't think I made myself clear: my next cruise is on another line (Holland America, to be exact) so I don't have to worry about the penalty to cancel. I've avoided them the past few years because they were pretty rigid on the 200% single rate, but I've always had a great time with them and Transatlantic rates are really affordable, even at 200% so I'm glad to be back with them.

I started this thread simply because I wanted to find out if my dining experience was policy on all the ships, or if the Jewel was different. And I'm finding it interesting to hear other people's dining preferences. I'm not passing judgment on the line or the passengers, or even the policy, but if all ships are this way, I'll go on another cruise line. If other ships not just offer but promote shared tables (and the other lines do it, I believe, because it's more efficient for the waiters, not so much for the passengers) then I'll have the info I need to make my choice.

I hope I meet you sometime at a Cruise Critic Meet and Greet (although it probably won't be on NCL) ;)

Thanks for chiming in, Quilting_Cruiser. I don't think I made myself clear: my next cruise is on another line (Holland America, to be exact) so I don't have to worry about the penalty to cancel. I've avoided them the past few years because they were pretty rigid on the 200% single rate, but I've always had a great time with them and Transatlantic rates are really affordable, even at 200% so I'm glad to be back with them.

I started this thread simply because I wanted to find out if my dining experience was policy on all the ships, or if the Jewel was different. And I'm finding it interesting to hear other people's dining preferences. I'm not passing judgment on the line or the passengers, or even the policy, but if all ships are this way, I'll go on another cruise line. If other ships not just offer but promote shared tables (and the other lines do it, I believe, because it's more efficient for the waiters, not so much for the passengers) then I'll have the info I need to make my choice.

I hope I meet you sometime at a Cruise Critic Meet and Greet (although it probably won't be on NCL) ;)

I'm glad you're booked on a line you know you like! I've sailed NCL only once with the second booked. Once you buy one of those FCC's they kind of hook you. LOL. HAL is a line that's definitely in my future. I'm planning to cruise a couple times next year and seriously looking at HAL for one of them. We'll see how it goes on the Epic first. :)

Bad idea. The one reason why I like sailing with NCL is that no one bothers you, any more, to share a table. Back in 2010 when I started cruising the hostess would always ask me if I wanted to share and I declined every time which was annoying.

By the way implying that someone who decides to eat by him/herself and is staring off into space has a miserable time and would prefer to have the usual small-talk with some random strangers is far away from reality.