St. Vincent to Bequia - HAL or DIY

CarolRoy

We will be on HAL Maasdam in March 2016 and will be in St. Vincent for one day (Sunday) from 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM. We would like to take the ferry over to Bequia and go to Princess Margaret Beach. Hal has an excursion for $139 PP (no ferry but by sailboat/catamaran). Seems high. Ferry looks like it would be $50 per person round trip. Don't know how much time we will have at Princess Margaret Beach and the town with HAL. If anyone has done it with HAL or if you DIY via the ferry, would like to know what you did and how you did it. Thanks for any info.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, what time does your ship dock and what time does it leave? Ferrys Dont run as often on Sundays as it does during the week, I believe the earliest Ferry to leave Bequia on a sunday is 4:30pm.. takes one hour so you get up at 5:30pm.. the schedule may be different during Easter

Not on HAL but on Princess!

Please do consider taking the excursion offered by HAL.

It's a long way which is all by water. We were delayed getting back over two hours and our ship was waiting ... so was the Regent ship who also had folks on this excursion.

This would be one we would love to do again but never on-our-own!

LuLu

OP here: I called HAL excursions to find out more about the 6.5 hour Bequia catamaran excursion. It seems like we would be on the catamaran for at least 4 hours. Not much time at the Princess Margaret Beach, snorkeling, or in Port Elizabeth. We will be in St. Vincent on a Sunday, so the ferry schedule is limited. The only ferry would be at 8:30 AM from St. Vincent to Bequia. We get in at 10:00 AM. So we won't make it. Next ferry wold be at 6:30 PM. So doing the ferry on our own is out. Now what else can we do in St. Vincent? We like to go to the beach. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Our time in port is from 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM.

• 2 weeks later...

Carol:

Sailing with you on HAL and wondering the exact same things. Hope you get an answer because we are just deciding the HAL excursion is out because I do not want to spend all that time on the catamaran.

Carol:

Sailing with you on HAL and wondering the exact same things. Hope you get an answer because we are just deciding the HAL excursion is out because I do not want to spend all that time on the catamaran.

I know what you mean. Seems like a long day on the cat. Are you planning anything else? Carol

It will be pretty dead in town on Sunday, you can walk about but public buses would not be available as often as it would be during the week, I would suggest getting a taxi at the port or a bit lower down on your walk and telling them what it is you want to do, beach and then a bar and see some nice spots, talk to them and come up with an agreeable and affordable price, which Sunday would that be? I live in St. Vincent btw but I am going on a cruise end of March

It will be pretty dead in town on Sunday, you can walk about but public buses would not be available as often as it would be during the week, I would suggest getting a taxi at the port or a bit lower down on your walk and telling them what it is you want to do, beach and then a bar and see some nice spots, talk to them and come up with an agreeable and affordable price, which Sunday would that be? I live in St. Vincent btw but I am going on a cruise end of March

I believe it is April 3rd that we will be there. What would you suggest for nice spots to visit? What beaches would you suggest that might be quieter than others?

I would suggest Young Island, you can get a taxi at the port and ask them to take you to there, it has a nice beach and a swim up bar as well as another bar where you can get drinks, It is very quiet as well, you can also liaise with the taxi driver to come back for you at an appropriate time to check out another spot, I will be coming back from my cruise on that day, ask him for suggestions as well

From the port, its a 10 minute drive to the dock then a 2 minute ride over to the small island, no you would be bothered by any vendors, it is a private island so no vendors there at all

I will be cruising the Greater Antilles as I would call them, Martinique, Guadeloupe, BVI, St. Maarten, Dominican Republic, Antigua, St.Kitts

Vincytess: Young Island sounds fantastic. I checked some photos online. Do they mind day visitors to the resort and would they charge for entrance? And the little ferry, is it free? Young Island sounds like a great alternative to Bequia.Thanks for all your info. Carol

• Like 1

NO entrance fee, when you get to the port if the ferry is not there you can call it over by using the phone on the side of the building, the ferry is free.. I believe once you support the bar and have something to eat there would be no issues in regards to day visitors you can use the bathroom facilities as well... you may have to pay something extra if you want a room for the day... they do have the best drinks and their burgers are GREAT! you can give them a call and see what they say because I am a local so I just show up and buy drinks and order lunch and has never had any issues.

• Like 1

Thank you again Vincytess. Carol, think this looks good would you agree? Sounds like a good hidden gem... Elizabeth

Elizabeth: Sounds really good to us. We like a new adventure. Are you planning on attending the M&G? We can get together then. See you in two weeks. Carol

Don't usually commit to the meet and greet as we are never sure what we will be up to at that time, but I may stop in just to find you! That way we could maybe share a cab for the day.

In case we don't meet up, we are in cabin #774 A-Deck.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hey Guys, How did it go??

Thanks for your info. We did go to Paradise Beach Hotel at Villa Beach. We took a taxi and because there was so much traffic (roads were closed) it took us 45 minutes to get to Villa Beach. The detour road was very hilly and very, very steep and scarry. The beach was OK. We could see Young Island across the water. It looked nice and maybe next time we would venture over to it. We had a very limited amount of time in St. Vincent. Going back to the ship, we opted for a local "purple skiff" to take us back to the ship. It only was $10 a person instead of $5 per person by taxi. The skiff was worth every penny not go back on those roads. It only took 10 minutes and he left us off right at the dock.

Again, thanks for your info.