Tips for Saver Fares

Spambo2

Hi

We got a great price on the Ant & Dec cruise (March 27). As we're a family of 6 (grandma, mum & dad and 3 teens) in 3 cabins it was almost £2000 more to opt for the Select prices and as it's all out of my pocket, I thought we'd be better off with that as spending money.

I know we're allocated cabins and dining on arrival - however I'm looking for tips that would give us the best chance of getting these together i.e. getting there extra early, asking to pay on board, speaking to the Maitre D.

What do you think is the likelihood of us being close together? I understand there's no guarantees of this was just looking for tips so all help gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

S

Hi

We got a great price on the Ant & Dec cruise (March 27). As we're a family of 6 (grandma, mum & dad and 3 teens) in 3 cabins it was almost £2000 more to opt for the Select prices and as it's all out of my pocket, I thought we'd be better off with that as spending money.

I know we're allocated cabins and dining on arrival - however I'm looking for tips that would give us the best chance of getting these together i.e. getting there extra early, asking to pay on board, speaking to the Maitre D.

What do you think is the likelihood of us being close together? I understand there's no guarantees of this was just looking for tips so all help gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

S

Well as regards the cabins, you will probably find out 2 weeks before sailing. What's the chance of them being close together. No idea. With saver fares you are slotted in where they have cabins spares. As they are linked bookings that may help, but if they don't have 3 cabins close then you could be different decks ,either end of the ship.

Ref dining when you board there will be cards in your cabin giving you the dining . if you are not happy with it you could go and see. The md on boarding.. If it is possible to transfer you to sit together on the same dining he will do it, but if he does not have 6 spaces together you will have to look at the buffet or select dining..pay extra.

Getting to the terminal early will not achieve anything..except you all sitting there for a long time. Cabins will be allocated before that. They will also not be able to be changed if you are not happy with them. That's the chance you take with a cheaper fare.

Bribing the MD will not achieve anything either.

Your chances of getting cabins together is very low - saver fares are allocated cabins not otherwise booked by Select fare payers. But it will depend a bit on the lap of the gods and you could be lucky!! what type(s)of cabin did you book? How old are your teens...there are rules about kids of a certain age being accompanied by an adult. depending on age you may be lucky and get at least two cabins close by.

But for dining....you should ask P & O to "link" the bookings, so that you all get the same dining allocated. If you get allocated Freedom dining then there's no problem as you just all turn up together, ask for a table for 6 and it will happen! If you get allocated "fixed" dining then as long as you have asked P & O to link the bookings you should all be together. If the worst case happens and you are split up for dining, go and queue to see the maitre'd on boarding (there will be lots of others doing the same thing!!) and see what he can do for you.

Good luck, enjoy your cruise!

If you decide to go to one of the Speciality Restaurants where you have to pay a supplementary charge, at least you can tell yourself you have saved £2000 to justify the extra spend.

Edited by Scriv

better chances getting dining together than the cabins. We went on a cruise last year, total of 4 rooms (8 people) booked months apart at different grades and type (some early saver, some late) but we did get the same table as we linked booking. Rooms were split over 4 decks...

I'm not being provocative, but does it really matter that your cabins are not together? You can always meet up and 'go visiting'... if you were in a hotel you probably wouldn't even think of wanting the rooms together?

It's not the end of the world if we don't get them together, it would just make life a whole lot easier.

My mum is a fit 81 year old. I have twin girl that will almost be 13 and my eldest daughter is 16. One of the twins wants to share with Grandma, the other two want to be together. They're good girls and I trust them - it's just other people I don't :). I would feel better with them sandwiched between us.

Also the girls have a ton of stuff they share, think electricals, make up, etc so there will be much too'ing and fro'ing. Again not insurmountable. My biggest fear, which is something I've never ever considered on a cruise and makes me sound barking mad but... Sinking - it's just the thought of us being separated. I know it won't happen but I can't get the thought out of my head. The other option of course is for me and the hubby to split up and share.

The girls would be absolutely thrilled with this :)

i wonder if p&o would let me pay to upgrade to select fares? Although think of the fun we could have with the extra £2k....

It's not the end of the world if we don't get them together, it would just make life a whole lot easier.

My mum is a fit 81 year old. I have twin girl that will almost be 13 and my eldest daughter is 16. One of the twins wants to share with Grandma, the other two want to be together. They're good girls and I trust them - it's just other people I don't :). I would feel better with them sandwiched between us.

Also the girls have a ton of stuff they share, think electricals, make up, etc so there will be much too'ing and fro'ing. Again not insurmountable. My biggest fear, which is something I've never ever considered on a cruise and makes me sound barking mad but... Sinking - it's just the thought of us being separated. I know it won't happen but I can't get the thought out of my head. The other option of course is for me and the hubby to split up and share.

The girls would be absolutely thrilled with this :)

i wonder if p&o would let me pay to upgrade to select fares? Although think of the fun we could have with the extra £2k....

Only your call.

Mind you I think due to the t and c of saver fares you may find that if you cancel you lose everything, as its pay 100% and lose %, not pay a bit extra to go select.

No one can really say how your cabins will work out. What type are they inside/outside/balcony? It really does depend on the way the cookie crumbles ,as there is the feeling that the cabins are allocated using software. Wait until you know your cabin numbers (approx. 2 weeks prior) and work out then who will share what cabin.

Do not go thinking about sinking..your worries will rub off on the family. Before you leave port there will be a liftboat drill. Make sure everyone knows where the meeting place is for their cabin. There are lifejackets in every cabin.

Just go and enjoy yourself. You will, trust me.

When you return do let people know how you got on, as it is useful on here for others who pay saver fares.

Here's hoping that with the ages of your family members, there may be a good chance of cabins near each other if they are linked in the booking. What a lovely group you sound, by the way and I can imagine very clearly all the to-ing and fro-ing with the younger ones lol. I remember it well.

As to the fear of sinking, that was also my fear before cruising so I fully understand, but I think you will be reassured a lot when you are on and when you have done the safety drills and realise all the safety procedures . And like has been said above, make sure that everyone knows the procedure well and their Muster stations.

I would also recommend making your own family contingency plans and arrangements to meet up /phone the cabins to check all is well with everyone when on board or separated. There are phones in the cabins and also on all decks. Use these rather than mobiles as they are free!

Do enjoy your holiday :)

Edited by Scriv

Probably not great, even if you are consecutive bookings on P&O. I did wonder when we did it if it worked like that, they just sequentially booked cabins that were left in booking order, but they don't, how they do it, I don't know.

Communication isn't too bad. Some people I've heard use portable SW radio sets which are fairly cheap to communicate, and there's the phone system. When we did this on Azura the phone system was fine, but then our children were 3 years older which makes it easier to manage.

As regards dinner, again, it's pot luck. Most people seem to be together when they book linked savers, but it's not guaranteed nor obviously is the choice of sitting. Last resort, you can use the buffet, and it's usually possible to change.