Worth changing to mid-July for Anan Bear Viewing?

Cheers4cb

I'm trying to decide if I should change an existing cruise reservation (that we booked while onboard recent cruise). Current plan is we will be in Ketchikan on September 1, 2017. I have a price and perks I'm comfortable with, and a great aft cabin. Now I'm doing the research on bear viewing and turns out the place I want to go, Anan Bear observatory, will be past peak, and the company I would like to use stops going there August 1. Checked with cruise about changing to earlier in the season but the cost for the same cabin goes up $400 per person! I'm wondering if I should spend this money to go mid July instead of late August, or just stick with my current schedule and go to a different bear viewing site, such as Traitors Cove. Financially I could make the change, but it may be a budget buster for going on other sightseeing tours. Anyone care to comment?

Anan is the premier area. Is it a priority for you? What was your thinking when you booked your cruise? You are getting late for Traitor's if you stay with what you got. Are you going to Denali?

You mention "budget buster". HOWEVER, IF you continue with your current "cheap" trip- how long would it take you to return? My opinion only, but I see this frequently with the "just more reason to return comments", when financially- they've spent thousands on a trip, that isn't ideal. Adding to the mix, the long time saving to get there?

Only you can determine the direction. If you are a once/year tripper, vacation a luxury etc. It may well be worth it, to do it "right" with the change?

I've never been to Anan, but I have taken two fly-in bear viewing trips to Katmai and walked and sat along the streams watching brown bears fish. I've also gone bear watching during the polar bear migration. Those trips were my best excursions EVER. I have pictures of bears framed and hanging on my walls like they were family members. I don't know what it is about seeing bears in their natural environment that is so appealing to me, but it is a trip you don't forget. Obviously I'm not the most objective person here.

We spent a bundle to see those bears, but that was our choice and one I would make again. Normally we spring for a nice balcony cabin on our regular cruises, but in Alaska, we book an inexpensive obstructed view cabin and spend the rest of our money on excursions.

In the end only you can decide what is more important to you. I usually sit down with a pen and paper and list all my options and give each of them some thought and rank them according to my interest level and budget and time constraints. It usually becomes clear to me which direction to go. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I have not been bear watching, so I cannot help you there. One other thing you may want to consider is the weather generally gets rainier in that late August/early September timeframe. I took two Alaska cruises during that time years ago, both RT inside passage out of Vancouver. One year was great weater. The second year was often a sloppy mess. I saw whales for the first time, though, so totally worth it. A third, more recent Alaska cruise was in mid August and the weather was perfect. I would factor in whether the odds of good weather matter to you.

Vicki

Because you're soooo far in advance of final cruise payment, I suggest you go ahead and book the July cruise in addition to your current booking. Make sure that you do not make a nonrefundable deposit, and keep note of the date at which penalties begin. Keep checking prices for the next 8-14 months. Many of these cruises take a significant dip in price as departure comes closer. The July cruise might end up costing less than your current September trip.

Now that is an interesting suggestion :)

Thanks Epixx! I've taken advantage of price drops before, and once I book something I watch it pretty closely, and also watch for a good time to roll it over to an agent for some extra OBC.

Without the gamble of "maybe there will be a price dip" (why would there be to a popular destination that has a limited season in the HEIGHT of the season when kids are out of school, etc.)

Because you asked is reason enough for me to recommend to you to make the change. (If it didn't matter, you wouldn't be here asking.)

Caveat: I booked a July/August cruise so that I could go to Anan. (I booked a 14-night cruise so that I could also go to Kodiak.)

Edited by TheCalicoCat