Cove balcony doors

tigresslea

9. Leave the Balcony Door Open

There's nothing better than a soothing ocean breeze or the sound of water splashing against the side of the ship to lull you to sleep after a long day. The problem is that leaving the veranda door open can mess with the ship's air-conditioning system, wasting energy now and causing you to be uncomfortable later. Plus, if you open your main cabin door while the balcony door is ajar, you'll find yourself trapped in a wind tunnel to beat all wind tunnels -- and it'll send that three-inch stack of spa pamphlets and jewelry sale fliers swirling all over your stateroom.

Nothing in here is reason for me not to leave the door open. I wouldn't have the A/C on so no worries there and I've learned from my first cruise to make sure the balcony door is closed before opening the cabin door.

Love #3 on that list! lol

Everybody's offended by something nowadays. I say rock on with your balcony door. Whatever makes you happy as it appears you don't waste the A/C and don't keep the balcony light on all night. You pay for the room. I love it too, but I prefer the A/C more while I'm sleeping since I sleep hot. I sure love the meditative sounds of the waves. Enjoy!

I love the cove bal. because it is so close to the water. Remember

that means if the surf builds up the water is on your bal. first. That

is why they want the doors closed. If you were sleeping when a big

wave hit your cabin would be filled in a matter of seconds. Then the

ship starts listing and before you know it all of us who did not drown

when your room filled up will have to make it to the life boats. But

at least you can have fresh air until you drown.

HAPPY SAILING!!!

One more thought -- the cove balcony is subject to ocean spray at times which likely would come inside the cabin if the door is open. Not good for the interior of the cabin.

This is something I will definitely keep an eye on. Wouldn't want the carpet to get soaked.

Everybody's offended by something nowadays. I say rock on with your balcony door. Whatever makes you happy as it appears you don't waste the A/C and don't keep the balcony light on all night. You pay for the room. I love it too, but I prefer the A/C more while I'm sleeping since I sleep hot. I sure love the meditative sounds of the waves. Enjoy!

Thanks! You are so right.

2917-o.jpg

HAPPY SAILING!!!

Wow, good to know. I guess Carnival really screwed up allowing these types of balconies! If someone left there door open the ship could sink?! I'm rethinking this whole cruising thing, it seems extremely unsafe. I mean, there isn't even a rule against leaving your door open, just suggestions. So, if this oversight is so dangerous we're all at risk!! :eek:

HAPPY SAILING!!!

Seriously?! Not even funny....

HAPPY SAILING!!!

Sounds like you need to switch to land vacations...you have an over-active imagination. Or is this an attempt at sarcasm?

Unless "your" patio door "stays open" by itself then the intention of the ship's designers was for the door to remain closed. These doors "usually" have a closer or spring lock hinges to ensure they immediately return to the closed position. Holding them open with devices such as bungee cords or wedging something between the frame and the door may damage the mechanisms if the door is hit by a strong gust of wind.

Common sense should also tell us that if the designers wanted a passenger to have "fresh air" in their cabin they would have made the windows sliders that would open with little difficulty...but that isn't the case.

And, shutting off your AC and opening the door may not seem a big deal for other passengers. But the heating/cooling system is not isolated to a single room. It isn't the fact the AC is off that is the problem. It is the excessive heat build-up that results that makes the AC "work harder" when it is turned back on, reducing the flow to other cabins on the system. It is called "balancing" the system. Besides, many passengers aren't "considerate" and do keep their AC blasting with their doors open. This again puts an uneven balance on the system.

Many things aren't expressively "forbidden" on a ship but people are usually aware enough to understand that how things are designed should be an indication of how they should work. Hold open a door by jerry-rigged items...not a smart idea.

I'm not sure how this sign isn't cut and dry..."Air Conditioned. Keep Door Closed"

It doesn't say keep door closed if you are running the AC - it says to keep the door closed. It's pretty well documented that it affects the surrounding cabins as well as yours. ImageUploadedByForums1454510112.577604.jpg.804e99262b047697549dc7b3ce34007e.jpg

Edited by mattp420

I simply asked a question... not to be flamed for leaving my door open. This is half the reasons I pay the premium for having a balcony. I love the sea air at night and hearing the water. I don't leave my air on when the door is open. I know I'm not the only one with their door open.

Someone please tell me exactly how this effects the air conditioner in other rooms. I want facts, not opinions.

Ships are built with modules, your cabin will be part of a group, not an individual room. Even if you turn off your air when your door is open the warm air will enter the entire module through the small holes you see in the ceiling. When this warm moist air arrives above an adjoining room with the air on the moisture condenses and falls into your neighbors room as rain......ruining someone else room, (and possibly their vacation). This is why the line asks that people leave the door CLOSED!!!!!!!

Ships are built with modules, your cabin will be part of a group, not an individual room. Even if you turn off your air when your door is open the warm air will enter the entire module through the small holes you see in the ceiling. When this warm moist air arrives above an adjoining room with the air on the moisture condenses and falls into your neighbors room as rain......ruining someone else room, (and possibly their vacation). This is why the line asks that people leave the door CLOSED!!!!!!!

Well, that is interesting... if true

To Luvfuninthesun. You are right, it is not funny to leave a bal. door wide open that close to the OCEAN! It only takes a second for a big wave to fill your cabin. BIG WAVE, OPEN DOOR EQUALS FLOODED CABIN!!

Thats not being funny that is just plain common sense.

HAPPY SAILING!!!

I've traveled several times in cove balconies on the Dream and I agree that the doors should be kept shut to help out the air conditioning but I'm not worried about a big wave coming in the cabin.

I have traveled in very rough water where the waves were splashing higher than our balcony and was able to sit on the balcony without getting wet as the moving ship pushed the waves away from us.

I've traveled several times in cove balconies on the Dream and I agree that the doors should be kept shut to help out the air conditioning but I'm not worried about a big wave coming in the cabin.

I have traveled in very rough water where the waves were splashing higher than our balcony and was able to sit on the balcony without getting wet as the moving ship pushed the waves away from us.

Yea, I really think that there can't be much chance of a wave crashing onto the balcony. I mean, what if you were outside? That would be extremely dangerous. If you really think that happens, why on earth would anyone want a cove balcony?

We have gotten a cove balcony every time we have gone on the breeze. The door outside does not stay open due to the wind from the ship and if you by chance are holding it open and you open your cabin door be careful, one or both doors may slam due to the wind tunnel created. Also we have sat outside at night and have had waves hit our deck. It is common in our experience that the deck is pretty wet in the morning. Also if you tie open the door you are blocking the emergency cover that they use to cover the doors and the maintenance crew uses to travel across the balconies.

We have gotten a cove balcony every time we have gone on the breeze. The door outside does not stay open due to the wind from the ship and if you by chance are holding it open and you open your cabin door be careful, one or both doors may slam due to the wind tunnel created. Also we have sat outside at night and have had waves hit our deck. It is common in our experience that the deck is pretty wet in the morning. Also if you tie open the door you are blocking the emergency cover that they use to cover the doors and the maintenance crew uses to travel across the balconies.

Obviously, I wouldn't open the cabin door if the balcony door was open. That's balcony 101. But I don't like the idea of maintenance being on my balcony in the middle of the night. I may freak out and push them overboard 😱

I wouldn't keep my door open because I don't want the humidity in my room and I wouldn't want to screw up someone elses air conditioning. I can see by all your post that you are going to do it regardless of what any one says so I just wish you a great cruise and hope my cabin in no where near yours.

I wouldn't keep my door open because I don't want the humidity in my room and I wouldn't want to screw up someone elses air conditioning. I can see by all your post that you are going to do it regardless of what any one says so I just wish you a great cruise and hope my cabin in no where near yours.

It's amazing to me how selfish some people are. I'm with you - hope I'm never unlucky enough to cruise near the OP.