Cove balcony doors

tigresslea

I simply asked a question... not to be flamed for leaving my door open. This is half the reasons I pay the premium for having a balcony. I love the sea air at night and hearing the water. I don't leave my air on when the door is open. I know I'm not the only one with their door open.

Someone please tell me exactly how this effects the air conditioner in other rooms. I want facts, not opinions.

I simply asked a question... not to be flamed for leaving my door open. This is half the reasons I pay the premium for having a balcony. I love the sea air at night and hearing the water. I don't leave my air on when the door is open. I know I'm not the only one with their door open.

Someone please tell me exactly how this effects the air conditioner in other rooms. I want facts, not opinions.

Here are the "facts" from Cruise Critic asking the question to Cruise line representatives...http://www.cruisecritic.com/v-5/news/news.cfm?ID=4370

I personally don't see a problem if you turn off your cabin's A/C when you prop open the door but that's just me. Is that your intention?

I never figured out how people hear the water at night when they are asleep:eek:

I have insomnia and a lot of times I'm laying awake. Hearing the sounds of the ocean is very relaxing to me and can put me in a meditative state and help me stay asleep when/if I do fall asleep.

Here are the "facts" from Cruise Critic asking the question to Cruise line representatives...http://www.cruisecritic.com/v-5/news/news.cfm?ID=4370

I personally don't see a problem if you turn off your cabin's A/C when you prop open the door but that's just me. Is that your intention?

Thank you for that link... it's exactly what I was looking for. People can have any opinion they want on the subject but, in the end, there are no steadfast rules against leaving your door open.

I don't have my air on when it's open so it's not going to affect rooms around me. Especially now that smoking is prohibited, I don't see a real reason to deny myself the fresh ocean breeze.

Instead of propping your door open to hear the ocean at night, why not just take a pillow and go sleep on the balcony? If it was okay to allow fresh air to continuously flow into the room, wouldn't the balconies have screen doors on them?

Edited by beachbum53

Thank you for that link... it's exactly what I was looking for. People can have any opinion they want on the subject but, in the end, there are no steadfast rules against leaving your door open.

I don't have my air on when it's open so it's not going to affect rooms around me. Especially now that smoking is prohibited, I don't see a real reason to deny myself the fresh ocean breeze.

You're welcome. I personally bring a small machine that puts out the sound of rain and that helps me sleep. We like a cold room so leaving the door open without A/C would keep me awake. We spent a couple of weeks on Maui last year and were lucky enough to snag an ocean side room...right on the beach. I tried leaving the lanai door open one night but the noise of the waves kept me awake! Had to close it finally.

Instead of propping your door open to hear the ocean at night, why not just take a pillow and go sleep on the balcony? If it was okay to allow fresh air to continuously flow into the room, wouldn't the balconies have screen doors on them?

I think too many people would leave their A/C on and really overwork the system.

Um, because I want to sleep in a nice, comfy bed? Can't even take naps in the hard lounge chairs if I could even get one on my balcony. You think they'd bring one of the soft cushioned once from serenity deck just for me? Then I'd be flamed for chair hogging lol. I don't even know how to answer that question.

You're welcome. I personally bring a small machine that puts out the sound of rain and that helps me sleep. We like a cold room so leaving the door open without A/C would keep me awake. We spent a couple of weeks on Maui last year and were lucky enough to snag an ocean side room...right on the beach. I tried leaving the lanai door open one night but the noise of the waves kept me awake! Had to close it finally.

I like it warm and I live in Vegas where it's extremely dry so the humidity is a nice change for me.

Because the OP is paying for a bed.

As far as screens vs. glass doors, no.

The glass doors are a precaution against very rough seas and water damage to the cabin or in worse case scenario to slow down the rate that water fills should the ship encounter a "hole in the sea" and plunge into the trough of a rogue wave.

The glass doors are a precaution against very rough seas and water damage to the cabin or in worse case scenario to slow down the rate that water fills should the ship encounter a "hole in the sea" and plunge into the trough of a rogue wave.

☝ Exactly.

Good info. Last week on the Sunshine our neighbor left their balcony light on

all night the first night. Lots of light leaked into our cabin, even with our curtains drawn.

Next day, I struck up a conversation with our neighbor and politely asked if they would turn off their balcony light when they retired for the night. They did. We were happy. :)

Edited by tandemcruzr

When I read this, I thought of our home's back porch which has a solid door on the inside with a screen door out side and thought this was what the poster was suggesting -- not a permanent screen door open to all the elements from the sea.

Good info. Last week on the Sunshine our neighbor left their balcony light on

all night the first night. Lots of light leaked into our cabin, even with our curtains drawn.

Next day, I struck up a conversation with our neighbor and politely asked if they would turn off their balcony light when they retired for the night. They did. We were happy. :)

You can also write a note and leave it in their mailbox.

Not sure if it's the same (although I would suspect that it is) but the cove balcony doors on the Dream would stay open without a bungee. Just push it when you open it and it will lock into place and stay open until you pull it closed.

Good to know.