Pregnant Wife - Zika Virus

IrlCruiser81

Any insurance that does not let you cancel for what reason you want is not a good travel insurance.

I don't know the products in the US, but here in Europe there are some products that will allow you to cancel your travel plans up to a certain date and up to €10k covered. Of course, those are not the cheapest ones, but you have few limitations.

As always, an insurance only pays off when you need it. If you don't need it, it's money that's gone to waste a bit.

If Zika is not covered with insurance why should you mention that in the first place? Do you need a to give a reason if insurance has "Cancel For No Reason" cancellation policy?:confused: Or am I missing something here?

The whole zika virus looks like a hoax, with all the classic markings. There is already 25000 cases a year of microchephaly in the u.s. Alone (where's all the concern for that?)

The zika virus has been around since 1947, and patented in1952. I would be more concerned about being hood-winked again.

Quite frankly I never did dream of travel to the southern hemisphere while I was pregnant.

Seriously? Do you also believe the moon landing in 1969 was a hoax? BTW, the listed ports are in the northern hemisphere, not the southern.

To the OP, try going up the chain of command with the cruise line (if you have a letter from your OB-Gyn use that). Try to get your cruise postponed for a couple of years if possible. Many couples have successfully taken a little one (over 6months for some itineraries, over 1 year for others) on a cruise. Just takes a bit of planning, and you can just hang out on the ship if you don't want to go out in each port.

Edited by Cruisin' Chick

If Zika is not covered with insurance why should you mention that in the first place? Do you need a to give a reason if insurance has "Cancel For No Reason" cancellation policy?:confused: ?

Here's what is going to happen.

The insurance company will need to determine why you cancelled and investigate. To presumably make sure you are covered for 100%.

When they determine that you are cancelling for a reason that's not covered, your "Cancel For Any Reason" coverage kicks in.

I guess you could just call in and tell them you are optioning your CFAR coverage and to send the paperwork.

Any insurance that does not let you cancel for what reason you want is not a good travel insurance.

I don't know the products in the US, but here in Europe there are some products that will allow you to cancel your travel plans up to a certain date and up to €10k covered. Of course, those are not the cheapest ones, but you have few limitations.

As always, an insurance only pays off when you need it. If you don't need it, it's money that's gone to waste a bit.

Honestly I can see not getting cancel for any reason coverage. If I had gotten this coverage for every vacation I have been on (my CC has travel coverage for most everything else already) I would have spent the amount I average for a normal vacation.

I would choose to not have it and if finding myself in a bad spot like the OP cancel and lose the money if I couldn't get it moved to a future date. (well right now I would take the hit on the budget and go to Europe even if that meant a bit of debt but if I had a new baby on the way I probably wouldn't make that choice)

The whole zika virus looks like a hoax, with all the classic markings.

Please elaborate on all the classic markings.

There is already 25000 cases a year of microchephaly in the u.s. Alone (where's all the concern for that?)

The zika virus has been around since 1947, and patented in1952. I would be more concerned about being hood-winked again.

Quite frankly I never did dream of travel to the southern hemisphere while I was pregnant.

You are free to feel hood-winked. As far as microcephaly is concerned, there are any number of causes that may be a contributing factor, nothing certain and not much one can do to prevent it. Zika has a specific cause so why would someone not take precautions to avoid it?

Seriously? Do you also believe the moon landing in 1969 was a hoax? BTW' date=' the listed ports are in the northern hemisphere, not the southern.[/quote']

Must think anything below Canada is the southern hemisphere.

Edited by iheartbda

We can tell the person she should have HAD insurance, but she did not.

Let's be helpful.

The person who suggested going to the media is spot on, even with an insurance co.

Without a long explanation, we had 2 family issues with health insurance companies and the issues were more ethical than legal. We explained our plan (specifically) to go to the media, but gave them a day or two to come up with a reasonable alternative and in both cases (involving an elderly couple and a pregnant woman) they did the Right Thing quickly.

Zika is big in the media and everyone is sympathetic to a pregnant woman and a babymoon. (We took our daughter on a baby moon to the Caribbean on on MSC ship for hers!) Given the circumstances, they should

defer the cruise until that baby is born and can legally travel on their ships. It will be a different experience, but fun for the family too.

Then, pick your favorite local TV station with a consumer reporter. Then write a letter to the cruise line, copy their PR dept., and the president of the company. Send all out certified return receipt mail.

Let us know what happens.

I AM in the media biz and it works. Alternatively, you can still call the TV station and tell them how great the cruise company was.