BlueHerons...SOBE questions

NayRN

I value your opinion very much....

I'm looking at hotels on SB for post-cruise 8/26-28/16. I'm wondering about the location of the Residence Inn on 17th Street as well as the newly remodeled Hampton Inn on 17th Street. What is your opinion of either? I really like a room with a fridge in it....which is the only reason I'm even remotely considering these two.

Also...Is there a "bad" room location at Loews? The prices are fabulous for August! I read on their website that they will be doing a lot of remodeling then...so I know to expect construction!

I'm traveling with my brother (first cruise and first time to Florida) So I'll be needing two beds - and I'm surprised that some hotels don't even offer two (must be due to their smaller boutique sized rooms).

I'm trying to keep the room to about $200/night but will go a bit higher if there's just something out there that is really worth it!

Thanks in advance!!

The room at the Residence Inn is going to be bigger but the location is horrible.

It's on the outskirts of South Beach at the Venetian Causeway and not walkable to much of anything. The upside of the location is that it is in a residential neighborhood and much quieter than South Beach.

That is a steal for the Loews! I'd jump all over that rate. You are in the middle of everything but in a very swank resort so you can easily get away from the hustle and bustle of South Beach. Again it is a luxury resort with corresponding amenities.

It's also oceanfront.

I'd definitely go for The Loews over the Residence Inn.

Make sure when you book, you book a room with two beds. In many South Beach hotels, a room with two beds is not standard but an upgrade.

Forgot to add that your dates are dead time for us so even if you book, keep watching.

Rates will plummet after July 4th.

Seriously?! Should I wait until then to book? I may be able to grab an ocean view for less than $250/night!!

Seriously?! Should I wait until then to book? I may be able to grab an ocean view for less than $250/night!!

No, I'd book now to lock in a low rate (refundable) but keep watching rates.

I've seen the Mondrian for under $100 in fall.

No, I'd book now to lock in a low rate (refundable) but keep watching rates.

I've seen the Mondrian for under $100 in fall.

Would you recommend Mondrian over Loews? Is it pretty good for walking? I'm open to pretty much anything! I'm tired of staying Downtown and I'll be there three days (alone for two) pre and two days post cruise! I need a change!!

I'd really love to stay near the Government Cut to see the ships sailing away up close....but the prices down south of Fifth are a bit steep still!!

I'll buy you a nice, stiff cocktail while I'm down there for all your help!! :D

Would you recommend Mondrian over Loews? Is it pretty good for walking? I'm open to pretty much anything! I'm tired of staying Downtown and I'll be there three days (alone for two) pre and two days post cruise! I need a change!!

I'd really love to stay near the Government Cut to see the ships sailing away up close....but the prices down south of Fifth are a bit steep still!!

I'll buy you a nice, stiff cocktail while I'm down there for all your help!! :D

While I love the Mondrian and the fact that you can use it's partner hotels pools, etc, (Shore Club, Delano), the location of the Loews is far superior.

You can go to Smith & Wollensky and go to the outside back bar and have a much better view and watch the ships leave. You can also almost touch them they are so close.

Montys, right around the corner will have the same view at a fraction of the price for happy hour.

We always stop at Montys when we take the big boat down to South Beach because we leave it docked for a couple of days at the Miami Beach Marina. We always go to Montys and jump in the pool for happy hour and then head to our hotels.

While I love the Mondrian and the fact that you can use it's partner hotels pools, etc, (Shore Club, Delano), the location of the Loews is far superior.

You can go to Smith & Wollensky and go to the outside back bar and have a much better view and watch the ships leave. You can also almost touch them they are so close.

Montys, right around the corner will have the same view at a fraction of the price for happy hour.

We always stop at Montys when we take the big boat down to South Beach because we leave it docked for a couple of days at the Miami Beach Marina. We always go to Montys and jump in the pool for happy hour and then head to our hotels.

I booked Loews! Superior Oceanview Balcony for less that $200/night! Now I can't decided if I want to stay there pre and post cruise!! I originally booked the Viceroy for three days pre cruise....but now that the pool will be closed, I canceled. Then I looked into the Biltmore for a change of scene....still close to $300/night. Tentatively booked at the Hampton Inn Brickell for the pre cruise nights.

Thanks for all your help!

Wow!! That is a steal!

Did you sign up for Loews frequent stay program?

I would reserve it for your return. You really will love the hotel.

Keep watching prices. While you are there for your pre cruise visit, walk around and visit some of the hotels. Many hotels in South Beach have won prestigious national and international awards, among them The Hotel, The Betsy, The Delano, Shore Club, Setai, Mondrion, etc. Make a list of the hotels you want to see and go check them out, have a drink.

You may decide you want to switch your after cruise hotel and will be able to personally see what is available.

You are coming the least expensive time of year. This weekend that same room starts at $500 a night. Weekend after next that same room starts at $900 a night.

One of the most fun things (for me) to do in South Beach is to hotel bar hop. Don't leave out The 1 Hotel and the rooftop pool. The sunset from there is divine. Dress to impress, men aren't allowed in most places after 5PM in shorts.

Excuse me for jumping in, but you will LOVE Loews! We cruised in October after 9-11 ... prices were crazy cheap because no one was traveling and I really just lucked into staying there. It's on the beach and they have a beautiful pool area. We totally loved it.

I have checked prices every time we've been in Miami after that and couldn't get anywhere close to our budget. I WILL stay there again some day!

Excuse me for jumping in, but you will LOVE Loews! We cruised in October after 9-11 ... prices were crazy cheap because no one was traveling and I really just lucked into staying there. It's on the beach and they have a beautiful pool area. We totally loved it.

I have checked prices every time we've been in Miami after that and couldn't get anywhere close to our budget. I WILL stay there again some day!

My only concern is the "there will be lots of construction noise" warning! I'm super excited to be able to stay at Loews!! What a way to end our vacation!!