Bit of a Blog : Solstice : Auckland – Fremantle – Sydney : February 14th 2016

NorbertsNiece

My first glimpse of Uluru

WP_20160323_13_41_55_Pro_LI.jpg

This, in the wardrobe, has me a bit perturbed

WP_20160323_14_25_51_Pro_LI.jpg

You missed the excitement of visitors on the coach journey from Alice Springs to Uluru!

There is another 'rock' which is called Mt Connor. It is a no go area as it has different spiritual connections with the dead. It looks very similar but is more flat topped.

However, it is seen very clearly en route to Uluru and everyone gets excited!

I hope it was explained to you about how the earth uplifted the rock so it is in fact sitting on its side, which is why there are such wonderful erosion patterns.

I laughed when I saw your photo of the can of Mortein. It's a staple in Australian households :D. Cockroaches are a way of life for us, like it or not. Nothing to do with how clean or otherwise your home is either.

I loved all your photos taken inside the Opera House. Isn't the purple simply gorgeous. Your photo inside the concert hall was superb. I have heard that organ played; the sound reverberates right through you on the low notes.

The photos made me realise that, although I attend the SOH for various events (off to the theatre again in a couple of weeks), I have not done a tour. May have to put that on the agenda.

We are so privileged to have, what has become, such an iconic venue in such a location. Were you told that the building was also partly publicly funded? We all religiously bought our Opera House Lottery tickets. I also remember very clearly the opening ceremony when the Queen almost lost her hat it was so windy. The Harbour was beautiful and the streamers coming down from the sails looked gorgeous.

So long ago. So much has changed in this city. Perhaps it was the building of the Opera House which helped us 'come of age' as it was still really a backwater back in 1973.

Sorry we could not see Manly properly - best laid plans etc. :)

Have enjoyed travelling with you 'again'.

DSCN0574.jpg

DSCN0579.jpg

DSCN0587.jpg

The shame about watching the sunset with others is the lack of respect for silence..... Whilst my eyes became accustomed to the dark getting back to the resort was a little challenging as there was no path and I had to negotiate the bush.

More Town Square dining

DSCN0537.jpg

DSCN0538.jpg

DSCN0539.jpg

Was so tired last night forgot to press send on this.....

DSCN0545.jpg

There is a lookout in the centre of the resort

DSCN0546.jpg

DSCN0547.jpg

DSCN0548.jpg

DSCN0549.jpg

DSCN0552.jpg

Both times I've stayed at Uluru I've been in the camp ground. The first time was about a year after Azaria Chamberlain disappeared. No dingoes around and Ulara was just being mapped out!

The second time everything had changed dramatically. Ulara was in full swing and Longitude 131 had been built. However, adjacent to the campground was a lookout where we went up with champagne cheeses etc. for the sunset.

It's only a small rise with a sort of chain link and post affair around the perimeter. Is that the one you are talking about Linda? The first time I went Sunset Strip was the only place available to watch the sunset and it got so crowded, we were pleased to have somewhere smaller.

The black and white bird, in case you are interested is a Magpie Lark - male, because of the black throat. Quite common throughout Australia.

map.png

Both times I've stayed at Uluru I've been in the camp ground. The first time was about a year after Azaria Chamberlain disappeared. No dingoes around and Ulara was just being mapped out!

The second time everything had changed dramatically. Ulara was in full swing and Longitude 131 had been built. However' date=' adjacent to the campground was a lookout where we went up with champagne cheeses etc. for the sunset.

It's only a small rise with a sort of chain link and post affair around the perimeter. Is that the one you are talking about Linda? The first time I went Sunset Strip was the only place available to watch the sunset and it got so crowded, we were pleased to have somewhere smaller.

The black and white bird, in case you are interested is a Magpie Lark - male, because of the black throat. Quite common throughout Australia.[/quote']

The Campground has its own lookout..... the one I was at is right in the middle. For those still with us here's the website for Longitude 131

Very early start this morning. Tour to watch the sunrise and visit the Cultural Centre. They offer a packed breakfast.

DSCN0599.jpg

DSCN0600.jpg

For the different excursions they insist that you bring specific quantities of water with for rehydration. All the tour buses have barrels of water on board too. This is a 1 litre requirement..... Uluru base walk requires 3 litres to be carried.

We are headed into the National Park. There is a requirement to purchase a park access ticket $25 for 3 days and we stop at a control barrier for these to be checked. In our instance we just wave the passes at the window. More about the park, its history and culture is here

Tea, coffee, hot chocolate and snacks are provided at the viewing car park

DSCN0612.jpg

The red lights lead to the toilets and the green to the viewing platfrom..... i head straight off hoping to get there before others to explore some silence.

DSCN0613.jpg

DSCN0617.jpg

DSCN0618.jpg

DSCN0668.jpg

DSCN0669.jpg

DSCN0670.jpg

DSCN0671.jpg

DSCN0676.jpg

There is a stretch of road where we may not take photographs. Out of respect for the cultural significance of the site, where the Anangu people have founded their beliefs, we are requested to down cameras for a stratch of road.

DSCN0680.jpg