Gluten free food items

richarduk

I have not cruised Celebrity so not familiar with their availability of gluten free items in areas other than the main restaurant. For example, when on some other lines I have had no issue obtaining gluten free breads, pasta etc at the lido/buffet style venues. I have also had no problem on Holland America obtaining gluten free bread sandwiches via room service. Appreciate any help with this. Thank you.

I have not cruised Celebrity so not familiar with their availability of gluten free items in areas other than the main restaurant. For example, when on some other lines I have had no issue obtaining gluten free breads, pasta etc at the lido/buffet style venues. I have also had no problem on Holland America obtaining gluten free bread sandwiches via room service. Appreciate any help with this. Thank you.

Hi,

My partner is gluten free and had no problem in the main restaurant, but it was mentioned to our waiter of the fact on the first night. Regards the buffet it was a bit more problematic, she was able to get gluten free pizza, and noodles along with toast but had to wait for these to be prepared for her. There were usually 2 varieties of cakes per day but these tended to be repetitive, hope you like coconut. Tuscan grill were quite helpful when we ate there. Didn't use room service apart for breakfast which consisted of cereal (Rice Krispies) and juice.

David

I did not have any problems, getting my gluten free needs met, in any of the dining areas. Even in Bistro on 5. As the above poster said, you do need to exercise more caution at the buffet, due to cross contamination. I always ask, to be on the safe side, and they are always more than willing to check with the chef if they are not certain.

The pizza is kind of yucky, but the pasta and other substitutions are quite good. On the first day, the chef walked me around the entire buffet pointing out the safe foods. The easiest places to dine are in the MDR and speciality restaurants. They take great care to accomodate you.

No worries!!

I have Celiac Disease, and we sailed on the Summit in January 2015, and it was probably one of the best experiences I have ever had with my gluten free issue.

I recommend meeting with the Maitre de when you embark and let then know of your dietary needs. The menus items are also labeled if they are vegetarian, Gluten free, or dairy free. They will also show you the menu for the following night and take you order and if there is something that isn't G.F., they will prepare it for you. They also brought me G.F. Bread every evening at dinner, and for Gluten free, it was really good.

I was so pleasantly surprised in the buffet area. Most items had the same labels as the MDR menus have. So, you know if an item is gluten or dairy free, or Vegetarian. There could be cross contamination issues, but luckily, I didn't experience any problems.

I didn't have the pizza, or the pasta, because for me, there were enough options, and I really didn't want to wait or make the cooks deal with it. (But they would have, if I asked.)

The buffet usually had G.F. dessert items, (some days better than others) and the coffee shop usually had G.F. cookies everyday.

Edited by screwsmcernst

One of our regular traveling friends needs GF. What he does is make sure he contacts X before the cruise and notes in his record he needs GF. He also talks to the Blu host and the host in any specialty restaurant we plan on dining in before our meal. Typically he orders the night before for the next night's meal. He has always found more than enough GF to eat without problems. But, the bread is kind of awful. Have a great cruise.