Underwater Pictures

llarosa

It's been awhile since I've snorkeled and am wondering what people do these days to get underwater pictures. Back in the day, I would buy underwater disposable cameras. Is that still a thing? Most of the pictures I take these days are from my phone - and I don't plan to take enough pictures to buy something expensive to adapt it for underwater pictures. Any advice?

I use a GoPro Hero 4 Silver. It takes very high quality pictures and video, comes with a waterproof housing, and it has a built in screen on the back. The down side to the GoPro is you don't have a zoom and there aren't a lot of customization options.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I use a Nikon AW100 (it's a few years old, there's a newer model). I like it because it takes good photos above the water as well as under, so if I'm at a beach or in another wet environment where I don't want to bring any of my "good" cameras, this works well for me. Just got back from a Caribbean cruise last week, went on a couple of snorkeling excursions.

Big%20silver%20fish%202%201024x807_zpshyhljlpj.jpg

Fish%20Fight%202%201024x592_zpsggzzkpak.jpg

(photos by turtles06)

Wow - thanks for posting some great shots in this thread. I'll have to contemplate what I will do. I agree those disposables take horrible pictures... but since I'm only going to snorkel for a day or two, not sure an underwater camera is a good investment. I'll have to find someone willing to lend me theirs!

Look into the Olympus Tough TG-4 or the Nikon AW lines. Both are "regular" point and shoot cameras you can use in and out of water, and they take really good underwater shots as well.

Cameras AND housings with strobes are for those of us who are neurotic enough to want to take a 20-40lb rig underwater for photography. I am one of those, but it's definitely not for everyone!!

Edited by breanne.wieler

I recommend you look at the Fuji XP waterproof camera, you can get it at Costco. It is a nice little topside camera, works great for shallow (under 30') depth, wouldn't try any deeper. I have one that I take on all vacations, it fits in my pocket.

And yes, my husband has a huge DSLR Canon is housing with 2 strobes, and it cost about the same as a new SUV. Seriously, he only drags it out when we fly somewhere for a dive trip. Magnificent photos (you can see them on my website under my signature).

I personally shoot video, and now use a GoPro. It works fine for topside and underwater video, don't think it is great for just photos.