Norwegian Sky Feb 8 to 12 2016

BVIArabella

Disembarked the Sky on Friday, Feb 12 and except for the weather had a great cruise. I had read a number of negative reviews on the Sky so I was a bit worried. My wife and I have been on 14 cruises both big and small from Royal Caribbean, Princess, Celebrity, Carnival and Windstar so we have a good idea of what we like in a cruise.

After the research I did on the Sky, my expectations were based on what I knew of the ship and I decided to ignore the negative reviews on CC.

The Sky is older, it is smaller so I geared my expectations on that. I was not disappointed in the Sky at all.

There was three of us together for this cruise. We had an accessible cabin

(0201) on deck 10. My sister-in-law is in a wheel chair so we needed a roll in shower. This cabin met our needs. It was large enough for us. It was clean and the Stewart was great. We also had a Butler and a concierge. The concierge was a real help especially getting a wheelchair on to the tender to Great Stirrup Cay.

Since the Sky is an older ship, the buffet area was tight and busy but manageable. Contrary to some past posts about the Sky, I found the quality of the food on the buffet as good as any I have had. The size limits their ability to offer a larger selection.

We were able to have breakfast at Cagney's (comes with a suite I guess) and it was excellent.

We ate our dinner in Crossings. The selection was good and an exceptional prime Rib on the last night.

The "All Inclusive" drinks do not include all brands but the selection was wide.

I asked a bar tender about the claim that the drinks were watered down and he laughed and said that did not happen. The bottles are all sealed and I watched different bar tenders pour drinks around the ship and I now believe that that rumour is simply not true. I had several shots of Southern Comfort and staggered back to my cabin just to prove it.

The entertainment was good and again, the size of the ship dictates the entertainment options. The main theatre singers and dancers were good. They did two performances and were "entertaining".

The weather did not cooperate so we didn't do much in Freeport but we did make it to Atlantis in Nassau and toured the aquarium there. $46.00 per person seemed a bit high.

The highlight for us was getting to the private island on the tender. There were conflicting reports about the ability of the tenders to take wheelchairs to the island but the crew were exceptional and helped my sister-in-law to get ashore. For those of you that have a disability, they can get the wheelchair onto the tender but you must be able to walk down two flights of steps (7 steps each). There are railings on both sides and a crew member met us with a beach wheelchair right on the gang blank. It was a great moral booster for my sister-in-law.

Overall, the Sky is perfect for a short cruise. Just remember that it is an older ship with limited amenities and will need some refurbishment in the near future.

IMG_2153.jpg.0fd69801136299eff427b17b158af9a4.jpg

IMG_2110.jpg.a101e7d2377bb62d5ac13c6124856463.jpg

IMG_2143.jpg.23f24663e0b22904eff866e3323260c8.jpg

Oh that pesky weather. It can certainly make or break a vacation, can't it? We were on the Sky for the first time in December as an "add on" cruise to extend our Getaway vacation. We were also not staying in a suite for the first time. We did have a great experience on the Sky, so much so we will be on her again in 29 days in an aft suite with our 19 year old son. How was the weather and water at GSC? It was partly sunny, slight breeze and calm still water in December. Perfect day for snorkeling and not having to worry about getting sunburned.

Thanks for your review! I'll be sailing again on the Sky this August in an aft Penthouse. I wish I could find out what updates they did with her brief "dry dock" recently. All I can find is a picture of the ship with the aft cabins covered in a blue tarp!

Thanks for your review! I'll be sailing again on the Sky this August in an aft Penthouse. I wish I could find out what updates they did with her brief "dry dock" recently. All I can find is a picture of the ship with the aft cabins covered in a blue tarp!

The Sky aft penthouses are some of the best suites at sea. Just downstairs from Cagneys too ;)

Enjoy

The Sky aft penthouses are some of the best suites at sea. Just downstairs from Cagneys too ;)

Enjoy

I've sailed three times in a Sky OS....heard the aft PH were the best so I decided to switch it up this time! And yes, BONUS....Cagney's is two floors directly up!! :cool:

I had every intention of asking what was done but alas old age and memory conflicts and I forgot.

Heading out on the 22nd as well, for my 3rd go-round on the Sky. I tend to look at it as a "consolation" cruise, as it's the itinerary of choice for us when a week in the Caribbean just can't be done. Glad to hear it still gives satisfaction!

• 4 months later...