Price drop after final payment...

teecee60

There has been many a thread and much discussion over the "new policy" concerning no more deep discounting of cruise fares after final payment.

The April 2nd, 13 night transatlantic on Constellation is now well after final payment and the Celebrity price is $549pp/$709pp for insides/ocean views, while a popular online site has a price of $499pp/$619pp.

I realize that today is not within the oft referred to window of the final 30 days before departure, but I think this irrefutable evidence that cabins will be sold at (almost) any price to fill the ship regardless of any statements from a CEO designed to encourage early bookings at higher prices.

Edited by teecee60

There has been many a thread and much discussion over the "new policy" concerning no more deep discounting of cruise fares after final payment.

The April 2nd, 13 night transatlantic on Constellation is now well after final payment and the Celebrity price is $549pp/$709pp for insides/ocean views, while a popular online site has a price of $499pp/$619pp.

I realize that today is not within the oft referred to window of the final 30 days before departure, but I think this irrefutable evidence that cabins will be sold at (almost) any price to fill the ship regardless of any statements from a CEO designed to encourage early bookings at higher prices.

The sentiment is nice but the devil is in the detail. My own cruise I went on recently was like a roller coaster price wise. I bought in when a Sky Suite was $200 per night with the 4 bonus benefits(drinks, Tips, Internet etc). It had previously been $400+ night and then prior to departure went back up to $400 night.

So maybe this is something to be noted, the best prices are probably going to be somewhere around 6-10 weeks prior to departure? Oddly enough I booked as all the lower cabin had closed out. It was just a suite open. Within a week of booking, most grades went back on sale for a short while at half what I paid (albeit without the 4 booking perks).

It really does seem a bit of a gamble. That works for me as I can travel pretty much anytime and have 2 cruises penciled in for the next 12 months. I'll not book either until about 6 weeks out or if a scintillating offer appears and convinces me to book now by making me feel "wow, great value for money".

I concur, their encouragement to book early and then giving it to us in the end (no pun intended) is not a smart strategy. Not sure what they can do to rectify but they should consider their options carefully.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

I am on this sailing. I booked December 2, category 6, OV(3112) for LESS than the prices you posted.

Marie

How is that an example of a big price drop? The inside cabins were $629 for a couple of weeks and there were residence and military discounts of $50 offered.

Can we get the info straight - the CEO said, "will no longer discount cruise prices within 30 days of sailing." The cruise you mention is in April. right at 2 months away.