Pre-Cruise Options for Christmas Markets Cruise

sunlover757

We will be doing a Christmas Markets cruise sailing from Nuremberg to Frankfurt in December. We'd like to spend a few days exploring other holiday markets prior to the cruise. One option would be to go to Prague for two nights and then travel to Nuremberg to meet the ship. Another might be to fly into Munich or another city and explore. Any suggestions or insights would be welcomed. Thanks in advance for your help!

We did Nuremberg to Basel in 2014 and went two days early to NUE - was our only chance to see the Markets at night, lit up - very glad we did! My in-laws did the Prague pre-cruise trip with Avalon - they don't love DIY as much as I do. I would have loved to go to Prague (I've been twice; husband has never been) but I also knew 2 days wouldn't be enough for me and we didn't have time to stay longer due to work schedules. My mom flew over with me & husband and her husband met us in Nuremberg (he flew in from Saudi Arabia where he'd been working) Family trip;)

It's easy to get to NUE from Prague on the train. I think there's a special bus too (it's been 2 years since I looked up all the options ;-) Great fast & affordable trains in Germany if you opt for Munich or another German city before NUE as well....

Edited by Hoyaheel

Flying into Prague you most likely have to fly via Munich anyway.

I disagree strongly. Depends on where you're flying from, which airline etc. We typically fly Delta, which means for Europe we're usually flying into Paris or Amsterdam, and get an intra-Europe flight from there. So we flew CDG-NUE on our trip. We've flown CDG-ATH, VCE-CDG etc in the past. I'm currently looking at a trip to Portugal and it's looking like my last leg will be CDG-LIS. And I know there are CDG-PRG nonstop flights too.

Matter of fact, other than my NUE flight for the river cruise, I haven't flown through Germany since 1993.....

I strongly agree there are LOTS of Christmas Markets to choose from!! I'm hoping for a 2019 land trip for more markets......

We will be doing a Christmas Markets cruise sailing from Nuremberg to Frankfurt in December. We'd like to spend a few days exploring other holiday markets prior to the cruise. One option would be to go to Prague for two nights and then travel to Nuremberg to meet the ship. Another might be to fly into Munich or another city and explore. Any suggestions or insights would be welcomed. Thanks in advance for your help!

We flew from the US to CDG and then to Prague for a two night stay and loved it. Our hotel was within walking distance of the city center with a great Christmas market and the tour conducted by the cruise line covered all of the highlights. We also had the option of a dinner and entertainment at a local restaurant which was fantastic. Prague is a beautiful city and shouldn't be missed if you have that opportunity.

Cole

We spent 2 nights pre cruise in Munich this past December. The main market in Munich is in Marienplatz and was really large and enjoyable. They also have a Medieval market that is small but was one of our favorites.

We also hired a private guide and took a day out to the Alps to tour a couple of King Ludwigs castles. There was snow there and it was a magical day.

Also enjoyed the BMW Welt.

We found we really had a great deal of variety in Munich other then just Christmas Markets. We spent most of our day light hours sight seeing and after dark in the Markets.

I am looking forward to visiting Prague hopefully next year so I don't think you can go wrong with either. I felt Munich had a completely different feel to it then all the other towns we visited along the Danube on our Christmas Market Cruise Budapest to Passau.

Have fun planning

I disagree strongly. Depends on where you're flying from, which airline etc.

Munich is the major hub for flights to Eastern Europe destinations. Sure it depends on the airline. But actually CDG is an airport to avoid (unless you love to travel without your luggage).

steamboats

Munich is the major hub for flights to Eastern Europe destinations. Sure it depends on the airline. But actually CDG is an airport to avoid (unless you love to travel without your luggage).

steamboats

Again, it just depends on your airline. Flying Delta/SkyTeam, I'll never fly through Germany, only TO Germany if that's my desired itinerary. And I've flown to and through CDG many times without issue at all. They seem to be in a bit of a construction lull at the moment and their signage is MUCH improved over a few years back.

You will always be able to find someone who will never fly X airline or through X airport because someone had a problem there once. I don't travel like that - I pick the itineraries that makes sense for me and do the best I can to prevent problems (like allowing lots of time for transfers as appropriate) and then I'm flexible and enjoy myself.

Again, it just depends on your airline. Flying Delta/SkyTeam, I'll never fly through Germany, only TO Germany if that's my desired itinerary. And I've flown to and through CDG many times without issue at all. They seem to be in a bit of a construction lull at the moment and their signage is MUCH improved over a few years back.

You will always be able to find someone who will never fly X airline or through X airport because someone had a problem there once. I don't travel like that - I pick the itineraries that makes sense for me and do the best I can to prevent problems (like allowing lots of time for transfers as appropriate) and then I'm flexible and enjoy myself.

Totally agree about CDG. We have flown through that airport many times and even though it can be quite daunting unless you look at an airport map before you land, we have never had any problems and our luggage has always arrived with us. But we always make sure that our connecting flight is at least 2 hours from arrival to give us adequate time to go from one terminal to another. We have had delayed luggage coming from the US several times, but it seems if they leave the US on time - they always meet us at our destination.

Cole

First off, for me going the other way (Nuremberg to Budapest) have better and more varied Christmas Markets.

Prague is certainly worth a visit, but if visiting Christmas Markets is your main objective then there are better alternatives. Example, fly into Munich take in the Christmas Markets, then next day take the train to Regensburg (1.5 hours, €20.00 and you don't have to change trains). There you have some in the city (one by the Catheral) and for me one of the best Markets at the Turn & Taxis palace. Then the train to Nurmberg (1 hour, no changing, €21.00).

Ah changing planes, worth a tread by it's self. My favourites, Munich and Amsterdam, at a pinch Frankurt, CDG ONLY if flying to Guadaloupe or Martinique. London avoid it like the plague.

http://www.christmasmarkets.com/Germany.html

Doesn't look like the dates for the 2016 markets are out for most yet. I've used this site mostly for the dates in Germany but it looks to post information/dates on Markets in other countries as well.

I do like the idea of traveling some place where you can do other sorts of sightseeing in addition to Christmas Markets. And I say this as one who LOVES Christmas Markets (that's the only way I got on a river cruise to start with) but they can get a little repetitive over time. I was glad we started at NUE and did stuff like visiting the train museum....