Finding price reductions

mcroadman

What is the best way to find out about price reductions?

We have the early saver price on a balcony. Do I need to fill out the reservation info on the Carnival site, or just wait for specials?

I did not use a travel agent.

What is a PVP?

Thanks!

The best way, in my opinion, is to just do mock bookings, making sure to select a room that's in the same exact category as yours. Not all balconies are priced the same, depending on the floor, area of the ship (midship, aft, etc).

PVP's are Personal Vacation Planners that work for Carnival. They help people book cruises.

The best way is through a website I've been using for years. I have saved hundreds of dollars with the help of this site and never miss a price drop.

For 99 cents (or less, if you buy "credits" in bulk), this site will watch the fares for you and alert you through email when your price drops on your selected saildate. It's very customizable, too - you can choose different currencies, different cabin categories to watch, different sale prices, etc.

We are not allowed to even hint at the name of this site, this is strictly enforced(PLEASE, ANY OF YOU WHO ALREADY KNOW, DON'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THE SITE'S NAME!), but if you Google 'cruise fare tracker', it is the first result that comes up that isn't Cruise Critic.;) Good luck.

Or you can just submit the form yourself online.

http://www.carnival.com/core/requestforms/priceprotection.aspx

Yes, but you don't need to if you have a PVP. Back when I used to submit the form myself, the approval process seemed 'iffy' and a lot slower than the practically instant price drop I get from my PVP.:)

That website that shall not be named has not been good to me. I am watching one cruise and they haven't updated it for over 2 months!! There has been multiple price drops in that time yet it still shows the price from months ago. In addition, I have never once received an email alert. I don't know what I have done wrong. Submitting the form is quite odd so maybe I did it wrong? I have to check their website for price drops which kind of defeats the purpose and now they aren't even up to date. :mad:

What is the best way to find out about price reductions?

We have the early saver price on a balcony. Do I need to fill out the reservation info on the Carnival site, or just wait for specials?

I did not use a travel agent.

What is a PVP?

Thanks!

First you need to know if you qualify for a price drop. Some people use the Carnival fare viewer but I just do a mock booking (on carnival.com). It factors in port fees (which do change) and after you use if for a while, you can check prices very quickly.

To qualify it has to be the same category, usually same deck, same # of people, etc...

Some use a TA, some use a PVP, which is a Carnival TA called a Personal Vacation Planner, or some DIY. It just depends on how active and in control you want to be with your booking.

If you give us the ship/dates/category I'm sure a few people here would price out the mock booking so you can check yourself to see if you're looking at everything correctly.

Edited by fuddrules

That website that shall not be named has not been good to me. I am watching one cruise and they haven't updated it for over 2 months!! There has been multiple price drops in that time yet it still shows the price from months ago. In addition, I have never once received an email alert. I don't know what I have done wrong. Submitting the form is quite odd so maybe I did it wrong? I have to check their website for price drops which kind of defeats the purpose and now they aren't even up to date. :mad:

Hmmm, I've never heard of it not getting updated and missing drops for anyone. Sorry you're having that trouble. It sounds like a PITA.:( Maybe you did set up something wrong on your alert. Have you tried contacting the site admin for some help? I hope you can get it worked out. When it works (as it always has for me), it's great.:)

BigB0882, What you said about your saildate alert not updating got me thinking maybe the site got messed up or something and mine wasn't updating either. So I just checked. Nope, mine is working correctly, updating regularly. The fare just hasn't changed on my sailing recently - it's still sitting at the last price where it got me a $100 price drop. I wish you luck in making it work for you.:)

The same thing happened to me and all I did was email them and they fixed the issue. Started getting alerts after that and even saved money. BTW, love that site as I have saved hundreds over the years.