Questions from a newbie

rojojacko

Hi

After 20+ cruises with numerous lines, we have just booked with Oceania for the first time, a 15 night med cruise on Insignia. As part of the deal we have elected for the House Beverage Package.

My wife is happy with the drinks with meal concept but I also like pre-dinner and post-dinner drinks so it makes sense for me to upgrade to the 'anytime' package. Is it possible for me to upgrade and leave my wife on the standard package, as you can on Azamara, or do we both have to upgrade?

If we stay with the standard package, do the drinks come only whilst at the dining table or is it during meal times, or can it be stretched?

Is it possible to pre-pay the drinks upgrade and does it make financial sense to do so?

Is Port included as a dinner drink on the standard package?

We are traveling with another couple and obviously wish to try the speciality dining venues and understand that we can pre-book some of them. How do we link a reservation with our friends to share a table?

Lastly, the gratuities seem very expensive at $16 pppn. Is there a consensus about just leaving them as they are as I appreciate we will encounter a variety of waiters or reduce the amount and treat the cabin steward separately?

Many thanks for the help and advice which I am sure I will receive. To date, our favourite cruise line is Azamara so we are keen to see how Oceania compare.

Rob

Good morning.

Personally we leave the gratuities as they are so all members of the ships crew reap the benefit for their hard work and not just the ones we meet...But many people do remove gratuities on embarkation and tip who they want..It's a personal thing.I can only go by other Cruise ship companies we have sailed with.

I too am new to Oceania,and am unable to answer anything else on your thread but talking about speciality restaurants,please may I ask someone to let me know when these restaurants become possible to pre book online.We are concierge level and sail in August.thank you.

Is it possible for me to upgrade and leave my wife on the standard package, as you can on Azamara, or do we both have to upgrade?

You may each take a different package, with the strict understanding that sharing is not permitted

If we stay with the standard package, do the drinks come only whilst at the dining table or is it during meal times, or can it be stretched?

You will only be served during luncheon and dinner food service, whether in a restaurant or in your cabin. Meal hours and times are not specified, excepting that snacks are specifically excluded. It must be during your lunch or dinner meal.

Is Port included as a dinner drink on the standard package?

Yes, the Wine selection is identical from Package to Package.

We are traveling with another couple and obviously wish to try the speciality dining venues and understand that we can pre-book some of them. How do we link a reservation with our friends to share a table?

Whoever makes the advance reservation will need to have the booking number for the other couple. Please note that, it will not matter which couple is primary on the reservation, such a visit will count against both couples guaranteed reservation totals.

I agree just leave the Gratuities in place the crew are hardworking & since you may not have the same wait staff daily they all share

The housekeeping staff also share

Dinner reservations

When you sign into MY ACCOUNT on Oceania website

you are given 3 options

Dine at a Private Table

Dine with another booked party (you will need their booking number)

Share my table with other guests

Pict the option you want & just follow the directions

Enjoy

Lyn

Add to Lyn's post. The opening page for "Your Account" booked cruises information for the specific cruise "To Do List" various dates- like when your balance is due and the date that specialty restaurant dinner reservations open for your cabin level. 60 days out for Concierge.

Select manage this account in the upper right of the "booked cruise" to go to the page for dining, excursions, etc.

Edited by arima22

• 2 weeks later...

Hi also new to this forum; are gratuities mandatory or can you cancel them ???

I am a Cunard cruiser & gratuities for $16 pppn are even a higher price than

P 1& Q1 guests.

The amount a cruise costs + all these extras makes a customer really think hard whom to book with as it's a big market out there.

I always cancel my gratuities pppn & tip who I/we want to.

I was thinking of a June cruise with Oceania as plan B to a Cunard cruise but not so sure....

sometimes best to stick safe with what you know or can I be advised otherwise ???

Hi also new to this forum; are gratuities mandatory or can you cancel them ???

I am a Cunard cruiser & gratuities for $16 pppn are even a higher price than

P 1& Q1 guests.

The amount a cruise costs + all these extras makes a customer really think hard whom to book with as it's a big market out there.

I always cancel my gratuities pppn & tip who I/we want to.

I was thinking of a June cruise with Oceania as plan B to a Cunard cruise but not so sure....

sometimes best to stick safe with what you know or can I be advised otherwise ???

You can probably cancel the Gratuities but paying those you want may work out as an exercise in futility..even if you tip them cash at the time of service they still have to turn it into the pool for sharing

It is open dining so you will not usually have the same wait staff from meal to meal or day to day

You could choose one of the cruises with the O Life choices & choose the OBC which will help offset the gratuities

Or if you can shop around maybe a TA is offering PPG on Oceania cruises in your Country

It is a personal choice only you can make

Edited by LHT28

I agree just leave the Gratuities in place the crew are hardworking & since you may not have the same wait staff daily they all share

The housekeeping staff also share

Dinner reservations

When you sign into MY ACCOUNT on Oceania website

you are given 3 options

Dine at a Private Table

Dine with another booked party (you will need their booking number)

Share my table with other guests

Pict the option you want & just follow the directions

Enjoy

Lyn

If you check "share my table with other guests" do you get the same "other guests" each night? We'd like to meet other people, and not sure if I want to have to be with the same "other guests" each night. Unless, of course, we really hit it off, then would we be able to?

Also, does Oceania offer "open seating" where you can just show up when you want to in the GDR? Or do you have to have a set time? Some of our ports have a later return to port time than others, so how does that work, if you get assigned say a 6:30 seating, but return to port time is 7 pm?

If you check "share my table with other guests" do you get the same "other guests" each night? We'd like to meet other people, and not sure if I want to have to be with the same "other guests" each night. Unless, of course, we really hit it off, then would we be able to?

No you get different people in any of the specialties unless you have friends travelling with your then you can request Non sharing link & ass them as a guest

Also, does Oceania offer "open seating" where you can just show up when you want to in the GDR? Or do you have to have a set time? Some of our ports have a later return to port time than others, so how does that work, if you get assigned say a 6:30 seating, but return to port time is 7 pm?

other than the specialties it is Open dining show up during opening hours & share a table with others or not ..your choice

Edited by LHT28