Naples

We are on Discovery in July and Naples is on the itinerary. Last time we were in the area, we were staying in Sorrento and it was easy to pick up a small ferry over to Capri. Is this possible from Naples?

Yes it is and the ferry terminal is quite close to the port exit. The tours seem to use the same public ferry as you would if you were to go independently. Our tour ferry was late getting back so of course the ship waited but if I was doing DiY I'd be very careful to make sure I'd built in a good margin for getting back. It's a much longer trip than from Sorrento and I have heard of ferries being suspended in bad weather so although we're keen on DiY on account of that I didn't have the confidence to try Naples to Capri on our own although I know many successfully do. Hope you enjoy it - we had a great day there.

I have used the hydrofoil, I think it was a hydrofoil rather than a ferry, from Naples to Capri. Did it independently with no issues. Was only a 5 minute walk from the ship to the ticket office. Weather was good so was fairly confident that there would be no cancellations, but it was a consideration. We went quite early and made sure we were going to be back with a couple of hours to spare before sail away just in case there were delays.

We had a lovely day, it was an October cruise so weather was warm but not unbearable. Beautiful island, hope you enjoy it.

Linda

I have used the hydrofoil, I think it was a hydrofoil rather than a ferry, from Naples to Capri. Did it independently with no issues. Was only a 5 minute walk from the ship to the ticket office. Weather was good so was fairly confident that there would be no cancellations, but it was a consideration. We went quite early and made sure we were going to be back with a couple of hours to spare before sail away just in case there were delays.

We had a lovely day, it was an October cruise so weather was warm but not unbearable. Beautiful island, hope you enjoy it.

Linda

You are right, it is a hydrofoil. I think it took getting on for an hour iirc.

Just a quick tip - we took the hydrofoil to Capri. Left the ship as early as possible and didn't have to wait long in the queue. When we arrived in Capri, we went straight to the ticket office and booked our return ticket so that we were sure of getting the hydrofoil time we wanted as everyone is wanting to leave around the same time.

Also, we wanted to go to AnaCapri to take the chairlift to the top. The queues for the bus were horrendous and the buses are small and only take a few passengers. We talked to another couple in the queue and decided to share a taxi, great move as it saved us loads of time.