Jolly Pirates

descotes

I was thinking of doing this excursion when we're in Aruba in June.

Wondering if anyone knows if it fills up quickly or how far in advance you have to book? They take full payment and tickets are non-refundable so I didn't want to do it too early if I could wait a bit.

Also if anyone knows where we get this tour in relation to the ship? Do we have to take a taxi from the port? Second I am wondering where it ends? I think I read somewhere that the tour ends by a beach. Are we allowed to stay at the beach when the tour ends?

Thinking this would be a fun thing with 2 teenage boys and I thought I read that we can maybe stay at the beach longer rather than going back when it was over. Can anyone confirm that?

Edited by descotes

We are going in March so I will have to report back and tell you how it was but so far I can tell you:

1- I paid in full back in December just in case it does fill up (we are traveling Spring Break peak week)

2- You have to take a taxi from the port to Moomba beach. I read it should be about $15 for a family of 4. I also read it is about 10 minutes away.

3- I read Moomba Beach is a pretty popular beach so after the tour we could easily hang out on the beach and catch a cab when we are ready to leave.

4- I also read that the buses are safe, cheap, and plentiful so it may make more sense to catch the bus back from the tour to save some money since we won't be in a rush. However, we will need to taxi to get out to the tour on time because ship doesn't arrive until 8am and check in for Jolly Pirates is 8:30am and starts a 9am.

Anyone who has done this tour please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I have just been trying to research myself to prepare when we go next month. :)

Jolly Pirates is a great excursion for kids of all ages. I think that teenage boys will love it. Take a taxi. Depending on traffic, which is very heavy downtown, it can take up to twenty minutes to get there. You can definitely hang out at Moomba in Palm Beach when you are finished. There are lots of vendors in that area that rent chairs and umbrellas.

I just booked their sunset tour for March, waiting for an email to see if they had availability. Fingers crossed, hoping it isn't already full because we are traveling during spring break! Their site does say that there are no refunds unless the ship doesn't dock or is delayed, or the tour is cancelled due to weather. (Look at refund question in the FAQ section).

I just booked their sunset tour for March, waiting for an email to see if they had availability. Fingers crossed, hoping it isn't already full because we are traveling during spring break! Their site does say that there are no refunds unless the ship doesn't dock or is delayed, or the tour is cancelled due to weather. (Look at refund question in the FAQ section).

If this doesn't work out, try Black Pearl or Mi dushi. If you are traveling without kids, I highly recommend Black Pearl. It is very laid back and relaxing.

Edited by Hatteras51

If this doesn't work out, try Black Pearl or Mi dushi. If you are traveling without kids, I highly recommend Black Pearl. It is very laid back and relaxing.

Thank you for the suggestion! I just received confirmation that we are booked with Jolly Pirates today. So to the OP, I just booked one month out during Spring Break and they still had availability. But this is just for the Sunset cruise, not one of the snorkeling ones so I don't know if that will make a difference.

I will have my two daughters with me, when I first mentioned going on a pirate ship my 11 y/o said no way, the only one she was imagining was the black pearl from Pirates of the Caribbean! So I don't think she would have wanted to go on a ship called the Black Pearl! Lol!

We went on the Jolly Pirates in December. I could not imagine a better way to spend Christmas or any day in Aruba. The snorkeling was excellent, the crew is amazing and fun. FlaMommy75 has all the details!

Edited by Arubalisa

We are going in March so I will have to report back and tell you how it was but so far I can tell you:

1- I paid in full back in December just in case it does fill up (we are traveling Spring Break peak week)

2- You have to take a taxi from the port to Moomba beach. I read it should be about $15 for a family of 4. I also read it is about 10 minutes away.

3- I read Moomba Beach is a pretty popular beach so after the tour we could easily hang out on the beach and catch a cab when we are ready to leave.

4- I also read that the buses are safe, cheap, and plentiful so it may make more sense to catch the bus back from the tour to save some money since we won't be in a rush. However, we will need to taxi to get out to the tour on time because ship doesn't arrive until 8am and check in for Jolly Pirates is 8:30am and starts a 9am.

Anyone who has done this tour please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I have just been trying to research myself to prepare when we go next month. :)

Thank you! Please report back after you go. I'd love to know how you liked it.

I am booked to go on my second excursion with Jolly Pirates.. I had a great time last year... so I booked again for this March.

I don't really like paying for stuff up front, with no refunds if we miss the port.. but..... they were definitely worth it... so I had no problems giving them my money.

It was a wonderful family day... and also a party day, for those who wanted to party... nothing wild.. just fun.

Food was good, and drinks were flowing... a very fun day for everyone on board. I cant wait to do it all over again!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Please verify the time of your ship arrival and the Jolly Pirates tour departure! I had an issue in December. The ship was arriving at 1pm SHIP time and the Jolly Pirate tour was leaving at 2pm ISLAND time. During Daylight Savings time (mid March - early Nov), Aruba is 1 hr ahead of ship time. SO when the ship arrives at 8am ship time, that is 9am Aruba time. Depending on what dates you are traveling, this could be an issue.

Please verify the time of your ship arrival and the Jolly Pirates tour departure! I had an issue in December. The ship was arriving at 1pm SHIP time and the Jolly Pirate tour was leaving at 2pm ISLAND time. During Daylight Savings time (mid March - early Nov), Aruba is 1 hr ahead of ship time. SO when the ship arrives at 8am ship time, that is 9am Aruba time. Depending on what dates you are traveling, this could be an issue.

I thought it was the other way around, right now Aruba is one hour ahead of us, when clocks change in March we will be on the same time.

Edited by AnnaBeth

I thought it was the other way around, right now Aruba is one hour ahead of us, when clocks change in March we will be on the same time.

Apologies....You are correct! It is early Nov- Mid March when Aruba is 1 hr ahead. During Daylight Savings time, the time is is the same.

Thanks so much,hallsn3961! I am loving your videos. We are on the Breeze, same itinerary as you, and your videos are so helpful. We pretty much have the same excursions planned that you did at each port...any chance you will be posting Irie Tours in Curacao next? :)

• 5 months later...

So I read different places on the best way to get to the beach. Most say take a taxi but some say that the bus is very easy and much cheaper. We will be there in about a week do any first hand knowledge would be helpful.

So I read different places on the best way to get to the beach. Most say take a taxi but some say that the bus is very easy and much cheaper. We will be there in about a week do any first hand knowledge would be helpful.

Both are very easy. The bus is right across the street and cheaper. The taxis should be available when you get off of the ship. People do both. It is up to you. The taxi will get you to wherever you want to go quicker. If you want to beat the crowds to the beach, the taxi is the way to go.