What to do with the car ???

- when I am away for 3 and a half months on a Round The World cruise

I live 'right on the ocean', close enough to have to clean the salt spray on the windscreen each day I drive - but mechanically, is there anything in particular I should put in place

Car will be in a carport and Im not keen on leaving keys with anyone (outside the family who all live 100's of ks away

Thankyou

For that length of time I would remove (if it was garaged there would be no need to remove it) the battery and place in on a maintenance charger.

Two reasons, if someone tries to steal it it ain't going to go anywhere and you'll have a full charge in the battery on your return.

Could you ask your dealer and leave the keys with them? I would have thought it would be good to have it started and kept going long enough to burn the water out of the exhaust every month or so but I have the mechanical knowledge of the average non mechanic!

Very jealous of the cruise, btw.

Edited by Swissmiss6253

Thanks lyndarra - good idea re charger :)

I will ask the Service Dept what they think Adidas when I take it in next

Swissmiss - don't be jealous :) - I know what you mean :) - its been a plan for a long time, when my kids were little - they are still teens/20s and 'ohhh no mum - you are spending the inheritance'!!! lol - I do like that TV ad hahaha - noooo - they are happy as - although its been a budgeting/work and time off decision - but - bursting with happiness - its definitely going to happen -

Here's for the silly stuff. Make sure you have your radio pin handy. ;) Can always get it from the car manufacturer when you quote your VIN number if you can't find it. (Gotta get the important things sorted :D)

A must to get a vehicle technician to advise you on the best method of storage - depending on the age of the vehicle/the electrical circuitry - the diagnostics need to be considered. Usually removing the rotor arm stops a vehicle being stolen - but then again......who knows these days :eek:

By the way - can you see my face going green :p enjoy your cruise

Edited by dizzy1948

If it's a modern car, disconnecting the battery is a bad idea. If it was me, I'd clean the car and wax if before I left, put a good car cover on it, and get a solar car charger. That will keep the battery charged. see

for an example of a car left in a marina carpark for 2 months!

I'm pretty sure if you are an RACQ member in Queensland they will do long term storage including turning over the car to keep it going, for a fee of course. Maybe contact your local automobile club and see if they will do something similar.

I agree with cme2c, another option if you have someone checking the house (friend) to just keep an eye out on things and water the plants, etc, they could always take the car for a 15 minute drive every other week to keep it charged. You could also ask a neighbour to do these things.