nice beach in Barbados

bridmo

Hi all

Could anyone tell me a nice beach we can use as doing an overnight stay :)

thanks

Carlisle Bay is popular - it's only the other side of Bridgetown from the port so not expensive for a taxi - we have even walked it. Nearest area is the Boatyard with a bit of life and activities - further along Harbour Lights is nice with facilities, bar, loungers, umbrellas for hire etc. Google them and see whether it's your kind of thing.

A bit further along the coast is Accra Beach which is a bit more typical lined with palm trees - Carlisle Bay is lovely sand and good swimming but it's a fairly open sweep of beach. Accra we really like and has beach shacks and facilities. Can't remember how much a taxi is but have also done it by bus from the bus station near the bridge in the town centre.

Brandon's beach is close to the port in the opposite direction to town - walkable past the Kensington Oval but probably best taking a taxi - don't think it would cost much as it's not far. It's popular with locals but not sure what facilities are there if any - we just walked to the top of the bay and looked down on the beach on our last morning before flying home. I don't think I'd target that one as we like to have umbrellas etc. but I have read good reports - it all depends on what you're looking for.

If you want more exclusive style beaches you could get a taxi or the bus from the bus station close to the port on the way into Bridgetown - it's across the road on your left as you walk along the promenade from the port to Holetown (where Simon Cowell etc go to their exclusive hotels). You need to buy your token at the little booth before getting on the bus - I think the destination is Speightstown. At Holetown you will see some lovely beach restaurants there . The beach is a bit narrow though and we didn't stay and get loungers etc so I think you'd have to research that a bit more to be sure it's got what you want but it certainly looks an idyllic Caribbean beach.

If you're there overnight Fri/Sat you might like to look up Oistin's Fish Fry. I've never been but read a lot about it. Seems to have a buzz.

Hope this helps with your research but one thing for sure, Barbados isn't short of fabulous beaches! Enjoy!

Edited by kruzseeka

Thanks Kruzseeker that's great will definitely check them out and decide which one to go for, we land about 3.30 on the Friday so will look into the fish place. We just want a nice beach fairly close to spend the morning umbrellas & sunbeds and maybe a beach bar:)

Paynes Bay is beautiful,it's only 10 min taxi ride from port to Paynes.

Once on beach you can swim out to snorkel with the turtles without having to take an expensive tour. There are umbrellas/beds available to hire and the water is very shallow easy to get into. There is a beach bar with toilet facilities available which are very clean, cost 1$US to use facilities.Food ,snacks also available from beach bar which is also good. As you are staying overnight in Barbados and available to visit the beach on the Saturday you will find this beach very quite due to the large changeover of guests boarding and leaving ships in Barbadod that day. :)

Hi yes can highly recommend the beaches at Holetown grab a yellow and blue

Bus from the station outside of port gates pass Pelican Village think it's a dollar each

the bus is to Speightstown takes about 20/30 mins depending on traffic

Once at Holetown there is a small street to Surfside Bar, hires out loungers

etc, we usually stop here for the morning then walk to Paynes Bay some lovely beaches

on route pass Almond Village Spa then Sandy Lane Hotel, Sandy Lane number one Rhianna

has a place here :) carry on treasure beach tamarind Cove hotels, we get off at a fish market

shop there is a bus stop opposite most buses

Go direct to bridgetown again one dollar and the bus is quite an experience not too miss:):) the beaches on this part are stunning

Mrs Blue Sky

Kruzseeka

Pistons Fish Fry is great. When we went there we were on a land holiday, not a cruise. We took one of the public transport mini buses.

Food and drink is great, but atmosphere is fantastic. It really is good fun as everybody sits at communal tables. Can definately recommend.

OMG this predictive text drives me mad. I meant to write Oistins.

I had made the correction. At least it wasn't an embarrassing alternative. :D Thanks for the first-hand recommendation. Next time we're there we'll try it out - sounds great! :)

Thanks everyone I've a lot to research6 but thinking maybe the boatyard or carlisle

The Boatyard is on Carlisle Bay - these areas are named after the beach bars where there are facilities and you can get loungers, drinks etc. The Boatyard is at the nearest end of Carlisle as you come out of Bridgetown town centre. I think there is a charge p.p. $15(?) which includes lounger, umbrella, drink and taxi back to the port. It's very convenient. Hope you enjoy your visit.

The Boatyard is on Carlisle Bay - these areas are named after the beach bars where there are facilities and you can get loungers, drinks etc. The Boatyard is at the nearest end of Carlisle as you come out of Bridgetown town centre. I think there is a charge p.p. $15(?) which includes lounger, umbrella, drink and taxi back to the port. It's very convenient. Hope you enjoy your visit.

Thanks for that kruzseeka I'm sure we will I've only ever disembarked and gone to airport so looking forward to spending some leisurely time :)

Sorry to hijack the thread but would any of these beaches be suitable for a Saturday afternoon, we land at 2pm and the ship doesn't leave until 9. I was thinking of trying to get to a beach for a couple of hours from about 4 til 6. Perhaps watch the sunset from a beach bar before aiming to get back to the ship for 7.30 - guessing muster will be about 8 as that is the time I have seen on other forums for this cruise.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Fiona

Sorry to hijack the thread but would any of these beaches be suitable for a Saturday afternoon, we land at 2pm and the ship doesn't leave until 9. I was thinking of trying to get to a beach for a couple of hours from about 4 til 6. Perhaps watch the sunset from a beach bar before aiming to get back to the ship for 7.30 - guessing muster will be about 8 as that is the time I have seen on other forums for this cruise.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Fiona

Hello Fiona. Sounds doable if the timings you suggest work out. There are plenty of taxis outside the port and it's only a short ride over to the other side of the town centre to such as the Boatyard or one of the other beach bars along this stretch. Perhaps if there is a charge for the Boatyard to spend a relatively short time there you could go a bit further down to the Harbour Lights or another bar in the area - not short of choice.

Given your timescale I'd definitely try something like you suggest. Bit warmer than the beach here at the moment! ;)

Hi yes can highly recommend the beaches at Holetown grab a yellow and blue

Bus from the station outside of port gates pass Pelican Village think it's a dollar each

the bus is to Speightstown takes about 20/30 mins depending on traffic

Once at Holetown there is a small street to Surfside Bar, hires out loungers

etc, we usually stop here for the morning then walk to Paynes Bay some lovely beaches

on route pass Almond Village Spa then Sandy Lane Hotel, Sandy Lane number one Rhianna

has a place here :) carry on treasure beach tamarind Cove hotels, we get off at a fish market

shop there is a bus stop opposite most buses

Go direct to bridgetown again one dollar and the bus is quite an experience not too miss:):) the beaches on this part are stunning

Mrs Blue Sky

Thanks for that Sue , we are planning a beach day as i want to stay until sunset take some hopefully stunning stuff !! we had looked at Paynes and decided that would do , i will make a note of your hints re bus etc , thank you

Hello Fiona. Sounds doable if the timings you suggest work out. There are plenty of taxis outside the port and it's only a short ride over to the other side of the town centre to such as the Boatyard or one of the other beach bars along this stretch. Perhaps if there is a charge for the Boatyard to spend a relatively short time there you could go a bit further down to the Harbour Lights or another bar in the area - not short of choice.

Given your timescale I'd definitely try something like you suggest. Bit warmer than the beach here at the moment! ;)

Thank you for your reply, now I just have to hope the flight isn't delayed and we aren't too exhausted. As you say Bournemouth beach is a bit chilly at the moment and doesn't quite have the same appeal!

Thanks for that Sue , we are planning a beach day as i want to stay until sunset take some hopefully stunning stuff !! we had looked at Paynes and decided that would do , i will make a note of your hints re bus etc , thank you

Hi John

No problem, if it helps I can email the info to you

Sue

Get a cab to the Tiki Beach Bar, Lovely beach, cold beer and nice people.

You can hire a chair and use the facilities for BD$30 but you get that much back in 'Tiki' vouchers so if you're planning to have 3-4 drinks it pays for itself.

had a great half day there..

Dean

Is Tiki Beach Bar on Carlisle too Dean? Sounds good!

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks everyone I've a lot to research but thinking maybe the boatyard or carlisle

Carlisle Bay is a great but personally would avoid the Boatyard, the sun umbrellas are cheap, nasty with little UV protection. Their food is very expensive and of poor quality. Suggest you walk a little further to Lobster Alive or Harbour Lights you wouldn't regret it.

Carlisle Bay is a great but personally would avoid the Boatyard, the sun umbrellas are cheap, nasty with little UV protection. Their food is very expensive and of poor quality. Suggest you walk a little further to Lobster Alive or Harbour Lights you wouldn't regret it.

We liked Harbour Lights too.