booking/canceling fee haven rooms?

luckyinpa

ive clicked through to the point where the total is given for the cruise and then onto the cancel policy. they need a deposit in the next few days then the rest of the payment in july for a november booking.

if i read the cancel policy correct. as long as i cancel at 120 days i get my entire deposit back. but can you confirm this?

the reason i'm unsure about this is i'm confused by the lower part of the chart. it appears the lower priced rooms have zero chance of getting 100 percent of your money back which doesnt seem right. so i must be reading this wrong.

I assume you are referring to this chart: Cancellation Fee Schedule

As you said, you can cancel a Haven/Suite booking more than 120 days before sailing for $0 penalty.

For lower categories on non-holiday sailings, you can cancel up to 90 days before sailing and there is no penalty (75 days for short cruises). You are right that they didn't bother putting the $0 line for those categories. It works the same for all categories, it's just that the cut-off dates are different.

yes that schedule. if there is zero for all cabins for 'any' date it should be on there. this is why i was confused as to why haven appeared to have a more generous schedule

from what you say it does not.

i'm still on the fence about my november cruise but if i can put my 1500 deposit on the CC and get it back if i cancel before july. thats something i can live with as i had very specific room/s in mind and would hate to lose them. i already lost my preferred sailing date by researching things too long on here as a first timer.

has anyone actually canceled 120 days out and gotten money back? i gotta admit i'm nervous about doing it but i dont want the cabin i want to get booked. so if i can book now and i have until june for a november cruise to decide for sure. i think i may do that. still on the fence about going as of this minute.

well i decided to brave the phones...1st person at NCL was somewhat helpful but i knew she was telling me something wrong. then i called the travel insurance directly to ask questions..then i called NCL back to get another agent

i am now pretty confident about what goes on. before 120 days when you make your final payment you do get it all back, including insurance fees etc. this is good news.

if the partner or their family gets sick and its a legit reason, you both get your cash back. which is how i hoped it worked. but i'm cynical. what can i say

if you just decide not to go. the 75% or 90% within one year cruise credit applies. though 500 bucks for a 5K cruise is a lot. i'm willing to pay that for the comfort knowing no matter what i'm 90% insured as this is a lot of money for us.

well i decided to brave the phones...1st person at NCL was somewhat helpful but i knew she was telling me something wrong. then i called the travel insurance directly to ask questions..then i called NCL back to get another agent

i am now pretty confident about what goes on. before 120 days when you make your final payment you do get it all back, including insurance fees etc. this is good news.

if the partner or their family gets sick and its a legit reason, you both get your cash back. which is how i hoped it worked. but i'm cynical. what can i say

if you just decide not to go. the 75% or 90% within one year cruise credit applies. though 500 bucks for a 5K cruise is a lot. i'm willing to pay that for the comfort knowing no matter what i'm 90% insured as this is a lot of money for us.

We've cancelled many times, and always gotten 100% of the deposit back.

And the deposit for a suite/haven reservation can be rather high if there's no special promo with reduced deposit.

Just make CERTAIN that you cancel BEFORE the cancellation date.

Also, we never get trip insurance through the cruise line.

You might want to compare third-party insurance with what the line offers.

Ask the folks at

TripInsuranceStore.com

CALL them, don't just read the online summaries, as there is lots of fine print.

Explain what your specific concerns are, and you can ask them to compare policies to the one you are considering from the cruise line.

There is more flexibility in types of coverage with third part coverage.

And the coverage includes airfare we purchase, plus extra nights at hotels before/after the cruise, etc., if those are non-refundable or have penalties.

We get insurance to cover us from the time we walk out the door until the time we plan to arrive back home.

One main "downside", IF this is important, is that "CFAR" (Cancel For Any Reason) is probably going to refund 75%, and not 90%.

However, "ANY" reason is truly "any" reason; you can just change your mind, etc.

But that's only relevant for the penalty period, because before that, one can get all of the money back anyway.

We've had to collect twice on rather high claims, and it was quite straightforward.

We have no experience with cruiseline coverage.

Good luck.

TY for all the info. i think first hand info is the best!!! 1500 deposit on 5K haven room.

we are close to NYC so no travel expenses to worry about really regarding air and hotel. the CFAR is 90% if i pay 500 for the platinum plan so its basically a 10% of the cruise price fee versus $400 for 75% coverage. so i have to decide if 100 for 750 of coverage is reallllllly worth it. but then again they do double the evac/medical etc for the 500 dollar plan.

i have not seen anything close to even the 75% CFAR even on plans ive researched on a website i looked at. most everything is 50% cash back. what i did on that site is choose the most expensive 3 plans from different places and look at the summary page. i guess wouldnt hurt to call the independents just to confirm though.

TY for all the info. i think first hand info is the best!!! 1500 deposit on 5K haven room.

we are close to NYC so no travel expenses to worry about really regarding air and hotel. the CFAR is 90% if i pay 500 for the platinum plan so its basically a 10% of the cruise price fee versus $400 for 75% coverage. so i have to decide if 100 for 750 of coverage is reallllllly worth it. but then again they do double the evac/medical etc for the 500 dollar plan.

i have not seen anything close to even the 75% CFAR even on plans ive researched on a website i looked at. most everything is 50% cash back. what i did on that site is choose the most expensive 3 plans from different places and look at the summary page. i guess wouldnt hurt to call the independents just to confirm though.

Yes, do call.

ALL of the policies we get have 75% CFAR coverage.

And our understanding (but please double check, as we have no direct experience other than reading here on CC) is that cruiseline "cancel" coverage is not truly "any reason".

We've read about several cases where the "reason" wasn't covered.

That is NOT "Cancel for ANY Reason" coverage.

You'd need to decide if what might make you cancel after full payment is covered by 100% or the 75/90% - or not at all (such as changing your mind or thinking there might be security concerns, or a new deadline at work, etc.)

The call is free, so check for yourself what the *best* coverage is for *your* situation (and also to compare prices).

It's almost impossible to compare all of the possibilities online, as there are so many, and there is also a lot of fine print.

i'm relying on my 3 calls plus in their ad:

You're covered for trip cancellation, trip interruption and trip delay.

BookSafe provides reimbursement for the prepaid, non-refundable, unused portion of your vacation should you need to cancel or interrupt your vacation due to unexpected illness, injury, job termination and other covered reasons as listed in the plan. The plan also covers additional out-of-pocket expenses for meals and accommodation, as well as for travel expenses to catch up to the vacation due to covered travel delays. Best of all, if your reason for cancellation is not covered for reimbursement under the plan, we provide you with a credit for a future cruise.

also in the policy itself it says

Enhanced Trip Cancellation Protection(provided by Norwegian Cruise Line) In the event you choose to cancel for a non-insured reason at any time up until departure and you have purchased BookSafeTravel Protection Plan, you will receive a Norwegian Cruise Line cruise credit equal to 75% of the penalty amount imposed for your use toward a future cruise. If you purchased BookSafe Platinum Travel Protection Plan, you will receive a Norwegian Cruise Line cruise credit equal to 90% of the penalty amount imposed by Norwegian Cruise Line for use toward a future cruise. Certain restrictions on the use of these cruise credits may apply. To be eligible for credits, notification of cancellation must be given to Norwegian Cruise Line prior to the ship’s departure

i'm relying on my 3 calls plus in their ad:

You're covered for trip cancellation, trip interruption and trip delay.

BookSafe provides reimbursement for the prepaid, non-refundable, unused portion of your vacation should you need to cancel or interrupt your vacation due to unexpected illness, injury, job termination and other covered reasons as listed in the plan. The plan also covers additional out-of-pocket expenses for meals and accommodation, as well as for travel expenses to catch up to the vacation due to covered travel delays. Best of all, if your reason for cancellation is not covered for reimbursement under the plan, we provide you with a credit for a future cruise.

also in the policy itself it says

Enhanced Trip Cancellation Protection(provided by Norwegian Cruise Line) In the event you choose to cancel for a non-insured reason at any time up until departure and you have purchased BookSafeTravel Protection Plan, you will receive a Norwegian Cruise Line cruise credit equal to 75% of the penalty amount imposed for your use toward a future cruise. If you purchased BookSafe Platinum Travel Protection Plan, you will receive a Norwegian Cruise Line cruise credit equal to 90% of the penalty amount imposed by Norwegian Cruise Line for use toward a future cruise. Certain restrictions on the use of these cruise credits may apply. To be eligible for credits, notification of cancellation must be given to Norwegian Cruise Line prior to the ship’s departure

Um, where does that state that OTHER travel insurance "only covers 50%" for CFAR coverage?

Also note that under the above terms, cancellation for a NON-covered reason will get you a cruise credit with some restriction, not a specified percentage of your money back.

Up to you if you don't want to *call* an insurance broker to compare a variety of outside insurance companies' policies, including actual pricing, in addition to coverage amounts.

it's very clear that its 90% of the penalty amount.

restrictions:

Important note: Cruise credits cannot be applied to government taxes and fees, port expenses, air add-ons, land packages, travel protection, Shore Excursions, gratuities, incidentals, or any purchases of a personal nature. They are non-transferrable and may not be combined with other cruise credit certificates or fare reduction coupons.

so basically, the room

it's very clear that its 90% of the penalty amount.

restrictions:

Important note: Cruise credits cannot be applied to government taxes and fees, port expenses, air add-ons, land packages, travel protection, Shore Excursions, gratuities, incidentals, or any purchases of a personal nature. They are non-transferrable and may not be combined with other cruise credit certificates or fare reduction coupons.

so basically, the room

Yes, as I wrote, you'd get the specified percent as a "cruise credit" (and check if there are any deadlines for use)... but NOT "money back" to do with as you please, for an NCL cruise, a different cruise, or perhaps a land-based vacation, or whatever you please, with no restrictions on purpose or timing.

And again, you haven't shown us that there isn't more than 50% back for OTHER policy CFAR coverage (and that is just incorrect, by the way).

If you don't want assistance comparing travel insurance coverages, why did you ask here?

You seem determined to use what you already found, without comparing (and without paying attention to concerns that your assumptions were not entirely correct about outside coverage).

But that is indeed entirely your choice.

But if you DO want input from others, given that this has now changed from "getting your deposit back" to "travel insurance", you might want to post on CC's travel insurance sub-forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

There is a vast wealth of collective information there, including from folks that have experienced the good, the bad, and the ugly, so to speak...

i dont have time to go back and create the search on insurmytrip and post screenshots but i picked the 3 highest prices ones from aig, john hancock and i forget what other brand, they were near the top of the search. im sure it would be easy to reproduce if someone wanted to look

and yes its one year for NCL cruise credits as i found out in my research. which is why you gotta read all the fine print :)

when i called the other company, i just said can you tell me which of your plans would be better than NCL. he said the only reason you would choose NCL is if the CFAR is important to you. then he said about 300 for a 75% cfar plan for 2 days before the cruise (global alert). i didnt get into all the other coverage because he said he would email me the details so ill look over it when he does. i'm just assuming it will have the normal evac/medical

when i called the other company, i just said can you tell me which of your plans would be better than NCL. he said the only reason you would choose NCL is if the CFAR is important to you. then he said about 300 for a 75% cfar plan for 2 days before the cruise (global alert). i didnt get into all the other coverage because he said he would email me the details so ill look over it when he does. i'm just assuming it will have the normal evac/medical

There is no "normal" "evac/medical".

The limits can be *very* different for different policies.

Some limits for medical are, in the opinion of many, woefully inadequate, should there be a major medical problem.

(And some people may have their own medical coverage for some destinations, so that wouldn't matter at all.)

Some people may want medical coverage that can advance the funds to the hospital if required; other policies specifically will not do that.

There may be other differences too, if one compares all of the different parts of the coverage.

Some may be important for one person or one trip, but not for another.

We've cancelled many times, and always gotten 100% of the deposit back.

And the deposit for a suite/haven reservation can be rather high if there's no special promo with reduced deposit.

Just make CERTAIN that you cancel BEFORE the cancellation date.

Also, we never get trip insurance through the cruise line.

You might want to compare third-party insurance with what the line offers.

Ask the folks at

TripInsuranceStore.com

CALL them, don't just read the online summaries, as there is lots of fine print.

Explain what your specific concerns are, and you can ask them to compare policies to the one you are considering from the cruise line.

There is more flexibility in types of coverage with third part coverage.

And the coverage includes airfare we purchase, plus extra nights at hotels before/after the cruise, etc., if those are non-refundable or have penalties.

We get insurance to cover us from the time we walk out the door until the time we plan to arrive back home.

One main "downside", IF this is important, is that "CFAR" (Cancel For Any Reason) is probably going to refund 75%, and not 90%.

However, "ANY" reason is truly "any" reason; you can just change your mind, etc.

But that's only relevant for the penalty period, because before that, one can get all of the money back anyway.

We've had to collect twice on rather high claims, and it was quite straightforward.

We have no experience with cruiseline coverage.

Good luck.

exactly what policy did you have. after one call and one email from him I never got email back from steve after 2 more times of me asking some questions. maybe he's on vacation lol

global alert plus is what he steered me toward. also from reading the fine print i'm just curious if something like a trip to the doctor for a cold on the ship is covered. I know serious stuff for sure is. I have to order insurance soon as I just booked this week.