Earliest flight out of Ft. Lauderdale after cruise

Nurse502

Enough room on your credit card to purchase another flight.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Booking a flight before noon is asking for trouble imo. You never know how long customs is going to hold you up at the port or how long the lines at security will be.

Last two times out of Port Everglades we would not have made a 10:20 flight. Mid week such easier, Saturday and Sundays increases the delays as there are more ships, fewer agents and fewer taxis for each ship.

DD and I decided to take a late afternoon flight. We rented a car for 6 hours and went to Sawgrass Mills Outlet Mall. If it had been nice weather, we would have gone to a beach. It also would have been much cheaper to go to a beach!

What is the best place to pick up a rental car when I get off the ship? I noticed some are closer than others.

This post lists the nearby rental agencies that have shuttles that will come to your terminal:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48314296&postcount=3

I believe I read today that Alamo has a shuttle that comes from the airport.

I'll add that I've used Avis quite happily pre- and post-cruise, each with one-way rentals between the port and the airport.

When booking (at least with Avis), choose the location that mentions the port. In the case of Avis, location code QF1 is "Port Everglades Shuttle for Cruise Ships".

Our last cruise in October we were on Indy, which docked at 7:30am. We did self-assist and got in line by 7:00. They didn't start debarkation until nearly 8:00 and we were at the airport by 8:45 to catch our 10:40 flight with time to stop for coffee at Starbucks and enjoy it.

As long as there aren't any delays, you should be absolutely fine!

There seems to be a wide variety of experiences in FLL. After 33 cruises, this was our first in and out of FLL. Not sure if is always like this, but we got off of the Serenade on the 15th and it was the worst we've ever encountered. Walk off was supposed to be called at 7:15. Ship wasn't cleared until much later. Not exactly sure when they got off, but well after 8. We were to meet for an excursion at 7:30 and be called off next. It was after 8:30 when we got off. That's to be expected sometimes. However, I did not expect three or four customs agents for all of those people in the terminal. I was probably on the same ship as one of the pps who mentioned 300 people waiting. At least! It took over an hour to get through after we claimed our luggage. We got out after 9:30. We would not have made your flight.

So, if you're lucky and all goes well, it will be fine. On our disembarkation it would not have worked. Personally I wouldn't take that chance on having to pay more for a rearranged flight.

Ask yourself just how stressed you are going to be about making this flight? You have just had a lovely holiday vacation, and now you are stressed to the max on the last day. Not the way that I personally would want to end my vacation.