Breakfast on the high seas

Honolulu Blue

Where do you MOST OFTEN eat breakfast when you are cruising?  

230 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you MOST OFTEN eat breakfast when you are cruising?

• Main Dining Room (MDR)
    • Buffet
    • Specialty restaurant (free)
    • Specialty restaurant (a la carte or extra fee)
    • Private lounge or dining room
    • In port
    • Room service
    • Bring my/our own food to eat in cabin
    • Don't eat breakfast
    • Other (please describe)

...I must be the only guy on here who doesn't like fruit in the morning. HATE it. (my wife loves it, though) Mornings I'm strictly an eggs/bacon/toast and lots of coffee kind of guy, with maybe a danish or yogurt thrown in. I love the MDR because that's usually the only place I can get a hot, cooked breakfast. We occasionally do the buffet or room service, but MDR our main gig.

Hi, it's me again. Two weeks ago I asked about eating dinner while on cruises. You can view that thread and those results here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2312628

This time I'm doing the inevitable follow-up. For those of you who can't read the poll for whatever reason, here's the question asked: Where do you MOST OFTEN eat breakfast when you are cruising?

Again, thank you for your answers and replies.

We grab a lite fruit mix at the lido and sit in a sheltered area at the back of the ship or search out a window table mid atrium them order hot tea or something warming before a brisk walk around the promenade--we are morning people!

I love the concept of room service breakfast but in reality, when we get the breakfast delivered, it's a sad cold Egg McMuffin, tiny cup of juice and some tiny fruit pieces. We've ended up using the room service as a wake up call, and eat the room service breakfast as an appetizer of sorts, then go to the buffet. We eat breakfast as our main meal and eat a lot, then smaller for lunch, and usually a snack or bite for dinner (which is why we again prefer the buffet for dinner vs the MDR so we don't have to sit for an hour or so and hardly eat anything). I realize most people have the opposite eating habits of us. I cannot understand how people don't eat breakfast or don't like breakfast foods! Even if I don't eat breakfast right away, like sometimes I wait until noontime for my first meal, my first meal is still my largest of the day.

Edited by whataboutport

I love the concept of room service breakfast but in reality, when we get the breakfast delivered, it's a sad cold Egg McMuffin, tiny cup of juice and some tiny fruit pieces. We've ended up using the room service as a wake up call, and eat the room service breakfast as an appetizer of sorts, then go to the buffet. We eat breakfast as our main meal and eat a lot, then smaller for lunch, and usually a snack or bite for dinner (which is why we again prefer the buffet for dinner vs the MDR so we don't have to sit for an hour or so and hardly eat anything). I realize most people have the opposite eating habits of us. I cannot understand how people don't eat breakfast or don't like breakfast foods! Even if I don't eat breakfast right away, like sometimes I wait until noontime for my first meal, my first meal is still my largest of the day.

Noting your cruise history, may I suggest you sail on a Holland America Line ship. They have learned how to deliver a Room Service breakfast to one's stateroom that is still at the proper temperature that one would expect. Only negative that I recall: toasted English Muffins just are not as warm as I would like. (Why? They are in the ordered bread basket and not under the metal plate cover with a metal warming plate underneath.)

Noting your cruise history, may I suggest you sail on a Holland America Line ship. They have learned how to deliver a Room Service breakfast to one's stateroom that is still at the proper temperature that one would expect. Only negative that I recall: toasted English Muffins just are not as warm as I would like. (Why? They are in the ordered bread basket and not under the metal plate cover with a metal warming plate underneath.)

I've been thinking about it, but many people telling me not too bc most of the other pax are too old for us. We are in our late 30s. I love the classic look of their ships with brass and teak, but we'll see. I'm more about itinerary and price than cruise line, so it may be in the future.

I've been thinking about it, but many people telling me not too bc most of the other pax are too old for us. We are in our late 30s. I love the classic look of their ships with brass and teak, but we'll see. I'm more about itinerary and price than cruise line, so it may be in the future.

Did you have a problem with RS on Allure? I only ask because I've never had a problem with hot breakfast on RCI.

As for HAL, in your 30s, you'll be the babies on board. Trust me....I'm 40 even I am a youngster on those ships. ;)

Room service on my balcony. It's one of my favorite cruise activities.

Totally agree. Having a quiet breakfast on your balcony is the best way to start each day. Why get dressed and stand in line at buffets or sit and order with others all around you when you can stay in your dressing gown and sip hot coffee while watching the waves. :)

Anybody know of a cruise line that offers RS with hot, cooked meals? The ones we've been on (Carnival and Costa) only offer cold items like cereal, toast, yogurt, and fruit.

I see you have an upcoming cruise on Adventure of the Seas. RCI has hot room service breakfast including eggs, sausage, bacon, ham, toast etc.

I see you have an upcoming cruise on Adventure of the Seas. RCI has hot room service breakfast including eggs, sausage, bacon, ham, toast etc.

We do, and your post just made my day! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you have a problem with RS on Allure? I only ask because I've never had a problem with hot breakfast on RCI.

As for HAL, in your 30s, you'll be the babies on board. Trust me....I'm 40 even I am a youngster on those ships. ;)

You know I"ll have to go back in my review and refresh my own memory. I just remember we did multiple RS at night on Allure. Everything was outstanding! The food on Allure was much better than on Celebrity Equinox. X's RS was pretty dismal as far as included choices.

Even on Equinox we were the babies on board. We saw maybe one other couple that was about our age, and they were European. Everyone else was about 50s-60s. But the atmosphere onboard was more festive and party like. Martini bar was packed every night. Everyone dressed to the nines. I actually prefer Princess, a little more quiet without being like a retirement home (which is what I have heard about HAL).

We tend to go to the MDR on sea days when we can enjoy a leisurely breakfast, while we generally go to the buffet on port days for a quick bite before heading ashore.

Both options are great on Celebrity, so happy with either.

Even tho I wasn't able to use the poll, I always have breakfast in the buffet.

I enjoyed the buffet restaurant on my one and only cruise, but sometimes room service was nice, if I were going somewhere and wanted a coffee and continental breakfast,

After all you can always have a 2nd breakfast if you get hungry again.:)

Princess Cruise, carribbean