RC VisA rewards...

springmac

Has anyone has any luck lately redeeming RCCL BOA points for the fee cruise (125k points). It seems with the "sales" it is hard to use.

If you are able to use the points for a free cruise they will calculate the value at the cruise fare before any BOGO or whatever prom is currently running

I would book the cruise you want, with the type of room you want. Take advantage of whatever promo you like. Use your BOA card to book and pay for the cruise (double points). If you have enough points to get a free cruise already that tells me you have a sizable amount, so after you have booked, use the points to have them apply the cruise discount option before the final payment is due. I have found it works out to be the same value for points but gives you much more flexibility on cabin or suite options. Anything applied inside 14days I think would go to OC I believe, so cash in early enough.

One other scenario, because this happened to me. I booked and paid for my cruise using my RCL card. I was in a suite and it was pretty expensive, so the double points had relevance...so to be clear cruise was paid for completely, then I had them apply the cruise discounts. They refunded me the dollar value to my next CC statement. I did this because the math worked to get my to the next benchmark for cruise discount.

Edited by Bdchili

I would book the cruise you want, with the type of room you want. Take advantage of whatever promo you like. Use your BOA card to book and pay for the cruise (double points). If you have enough points to get a free cruise already that tells me you have a sizable amount, so after you have booked, use the points to have them apply the cruise discount option before the final payment is due. I have found it works out to be the same value for points but gives you much more flexibility on cabin or suite options. Anything applied inside 14days I think would go to OC I believe, so cash in early enough.

One other scenario, because this happened to me. I booked and paid for my cruise using my RCL card. I was in a suite and it was pretty expensive, so the double points had relevance...so to be clear cruise was paid for completely, then I had them apply the cruise discounts. They refunded me the dollar value to my next CC statement. I did this because the math worked to get my to the next benchmark for cruise discount.

If you are able to use the points for a free cruise they will calculate the value at the cruise fare before any BOGO or whatever prom is currently running

To Bdchili be careful what you are doing, as molly361 says and she is quite correct, when you use points for a free cruise (if that is what you have enough points to do) it needs to be done at the time of booking and they calculate the cost WITHOUT any promotional offers. So, often times it is BETTER to book the best promotion available and then redeem the points in 50K increments or $500 reduction in price (as a form of payment). You can redeem multiple points to get for example $1000 reduced from the cost prior to final payment.

To Bdchili be careful what you are doing, as molly361 says and she is quite correct, when you use points for a free cruise (if that is what you have enough points to do) it needs to be done at the time of booking and they calculate the cost WITHOUT any promotional offers. So, often times it is BETTER to book the best promotion available and then redeem the points in 50K increments or $500 reduction in price (as a form of payment). You can redeem multiple points to get for example $1000 reduced from the cost prior to final payment.

I agree, I that is what I was communicating...but obviously not clearly enough. It is in my opinion, it is always better to use points for applied discount. If for no reason other than flexibility.

Edited by Bdchili

This intrigues me. I need to start using 140k points (I used to think we'd be able to get a free cruise for 125k, but I've finally accepted it's next to impossible to get the quadruple value I had once imagined). Our cruises are always subject to late cancellation due to DH's health and I don't want to waste the points. We have an expensive October cruise that I would like to apply $1000 to as a "cruise discount". Final payment will occur in late July. Are you saying that even though the cruise will have been paid in full, I could have my travel agent apply $1000 more to the cruise as a payment overage during the last month before we sail? I guess another way to do it would be to order tons of OBC and get it credited back when it wasn't used.

Does anyone know if you can still redeem for Celebrity OBC or Celebrity cruise discounts? I don't see it listed on the Rewards site anymore.

Edited by MindyJohn

We were not able to and we cruised last week. But the OBC was on our account when we boarded, so all was well. Does it make sense that some can see it and others can't on their reservation -- no.

When do you see your OBC summary first?

Is there something that they hand you upon boarding or do you have to wait to view it on your TV in your cabin?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

When do you see your OBC summary first?

Is there something that they hand you upon boarding or do you have to wait to view it on your TV in your cabin?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We walked over to Guest Services when we boarded and they looked it up and told us it was there.

My grandmother has a Royal Caribbean Visa, with a crazy amount of points built up. With my grandfather passing recently, she isn't sure when/if she will be going again. I am going in November, and she wants to try and give me her points, if she calls will the allow this?

This intrigues me. I need to start using 140k points (I used to think we'd be able to get a free cruise for 125k, but I've finally accepted it's next to impossible to get the quadruple value I had once imagined). Our cruises are always subject to late cancellation due to DH's health and I don't want to waste the points. We have an expensive October cruise that I would like to apply $1000 to as a "cruise discount". Final payment will occur in late July. Are you saying that even though the cruise will have been paid in full, I could have my travel agent apply $1000 more to the cruise as a payment overage during the last month before we sail? I guess another way to do it would be to order tons of OBC and get it credited back when it wasn't used.

Does anyone know if you can still redeem for Celebrity OBC or Celebrity cruise discounts? I don't see it listed on the Rewards site anymore.

If after final payment you apply points to your cruise, as an 'over payment', and BofA with Royal credit back money to your account you will also LOSE double points going back as a refund. If they will do it at all, after final payment. We always do ours before final payment, and if we have some reason to cancel (we do take insurance), we will worry about it then. Although that has never happened.

My grandmother has a Royal Caribbean Visa, with a crazy amount of points built up. With my grandfather passing recently, she isn't sure when/if she will be going again. I am going in November, and she wants to try and give me her points, if she calls will the allow this?

I don't think it matters whose credit card earned the points, nor what the cruisers name is that is going....when it is done, you need the reservation number for the redemption.

I don't think it matters whose credit card earned the points, nor what the cruisers name is that is going....when it is done, you need the reservation number for the redemption.

Thank you! I will let her know. 😆

Yes you can have them apply the discount value even after its paid in full and if you are outside the 14 day window it will be credited back to your credit card on next statement. If inside 14 days they will issue OBC but a good thing is these points are the only kind of OBC that can be turned into cash on board.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. Before the promotions were an everyday thing, I took advantage of two free cruises and paid for an upgrade to get a balcony. Can't beat two cruises for a few hundred dollars. I have enough for another two free cruises but looks like I will need to use a new strategy!

Thanks everyone for the ideas. Before the promotions were an everyday thing, I took advantage of two free cruises and paid for an upgrade to get a balcony. Can't beat two cruises for a few hundred dollars. I have enough for another two free cruises but looks like I will need to use a new strategy!

Book a cruise for the best price from the best promo available and redeem points to pay down the cruise in 50K increments for $500 cruise credit. It works out well....use the system they give you, don't fret over it.

Yes you can have them apply the discount value even after its paid in full and if you are outside the 14 day window it will be credited back to your credit card on next statement. If inside 14 days they will issue OBC but a good thing is these points are the only kind of OBC that can be turned into cash on board.

Thanks - just trying to line up all my options! I have a big final payment due in July and I think I'll use a different card. The new Costco Citi card which is replacing their AX card will give 3 points per dollar on travel purchases and we are Costco members so the card doesn't cost anything but our annual membership fee which we would pay anyway. The only hitch is you only get your cash back reward once per year. For anyone interested it also gives 4 points for gas purchases up to $7000 annually.