Need advice about issue with cabin

KCCruisin'

I am looking forward to your thoughts on this matter.

We are a family of 3 and booked a cruise on the Breeze. We chose an aft balcony. Our final payment isn't until April 26th. We already know that my daughter, the third person in the cabin will not be able to sail with us. I called carnival and they told me that her deposit of $250 minus $50 will go toward a future cruise credit; that's ok however, she also said that we would have to switch cabins. If we don't make up our minds before the final payment then there will be more penalties, i.e more money from the deposit kept for "processing".

What if we just keep things as they are and just show up at the terminal on embarkation day and say that the third person isn't coming? Just trying to sort this out and make the best decision. Thanks in advance.

The longer you wait, the more costly it becomes. For a no show on the cruise date, you will likely be out her entire fare (less port fees and taxes). I suggest you cancel her now and pick out your new cabin now. She will have a $200 credit.

i don't see why you would have to change rooms it's a 3 max in the room not 3 min

Because certain times of the year they can sell that third berth.

Edited by SadieN

If you definitely want to keep your room, then do the no-show thing. You will be out the entire cruise fare, but you would get to keep that room. I can see something like that being worth it if it's a very unique room that you really really want. We once entertained the option of getting one of those awesome scenic oceanview room with floor to ceiling windows. As a party of 3, we would have booked it for 4 if we had to, and just been out that extra money.

If the room isn't worth that extra money, go ahead and cancel the 3rd before final payment and move yourself into an equally good 2-person room. After final payment, the minimum penalty is the entire deposit; nothing held for a future cruise.

If you definitely want to keep your room, then do the no-show thing. You will be out the entire cruise fare, but you would get to keep that room. I can see something like that being worth it if it's a very unique room that you really really want. We once entertained the option of getting one of those awesome scenic oceanview room with floor to ceiling windows. As a party of 3, we would have booked it for 4 if we had to, and just been out that extra money.

If the room isn't worth that extra money, go ahead and cancel the 3rd before final payment and move yourself into an equally good 2-person room. After final payment, the minimum penalty is the entire deposit; nothing held for a future cruise.

This is what we will do, we really want to keep the cabin; didn't care about the money too much and her not coming couldn't be avoided. Thanks

We do have the cruise insured and it's cancel for any reason...maybe I could recoup some loss there.

If you keep the cabin and she's a no-show then you won't be able to use the cancellation benefits of the insurance.

If you cancel her prior to the cruise (and change cabins) then you can use the Cancel for any reason - if it's Carnival policy you have, that will be a 75% future cruise credit (you'd also get back Govt Fees & Taxes and any pre-paid gratuities either situation).

Ken

If you keep the cabin and she's a no-show then you won't be able to use the cancellation benefits of the insurance.

If you cancel her prior to the cruise (and change cabins) then you can use the Cancel for any reason - if it's Carnival policy you have, that will be a 75% future cruise credit (you'd also get back Govt Fees & Taxes and any pre-paid gratuities either situation).

Ken

Thank you, this was very informative.

Carnival wants to sail at capacity which is why they won't put 2 people in a 3 person room. That is one less fare they get. There are 2 person aft balconies so maybe you can switch to one if open. You either have to remove your daughter before final payment is due or pay for her and let her be a no show, which would cause you to lose the full amount of her fare.

If you change ext afts beware of the 2 ext aft on Deck 7 next to the corner wraps. They are much smaller than the middle ext afts. They are minus the sofa and coffee table, also the tv might be in a strange place. The ext balconies are the same. We got stuck in one of these weird ext afts a couple of yrs, ago, so now I always check the Carnival website, Plan, Deck Plans- go the the cabin and click on details. This tells you what is exactly in the cabin. If it says no sofa or coffee table then it is the smaller ext aft. I didn't like the cabin at all and we paid just as much as the the other middle, larger ext aft cabins.

I just looked, and there are still aft balconies available for 2, but they are only on deck 6, which is right above the comedy club. So that is an option if you don't think you will mind the noise, but they do have late comedy shows so you may hear noise after midnight. If you are a light sleeper or go to bed early, it might bother you. I've been in that area of the ship, but above the piano bar, and we could here everything when the music was going. It didn't bother us since we were out and about anyway.

As far as the insurance, you would have to actually cancel your daughter out of the reservation to receive the benefits, so if she was a no show you wouldn't be able to use it. It will depend on your insurance, so I'm not sure how much you would get back if you canceled now and used the insurance. I would think it will just be the $50 since you are getting the other $200 as a future cruise credit, but that would be something to ask the insurance company.

I am looking forward to your thoughts on this matter.

We are a family of 3 and booked a cruise on the Breeze. We chose an aft balcony. Our final payment isn't until April 26th. We already know that my daughter' date=' the third person in the cabin will not be able to sail with us. I called carnival and they told me that her deposit of $250 minus $50 will go toward a future cruise credit; that's ok however, she also said that we would have to switch cabins. If we don't make up our minds before the final payment then there will be more penalties, i.e more money from the deposit kept for "processing".

What if we just keep things as they are and just show up at the terminal on embarkation day and say that the third person isn't coming? Just trying to sort this out and make the best decision. Thanks in advance.[/quote']

Call again and talk to a different agent. There should be no problem in dropping a passenger and staying in the same cabin.

Call again and talk to a different agent. There should be no problem in dropping a passenger and staying in the same cabin.

That is sometimes possible, but they are sailing in July. Since that is a peak time they usually don't allow 2 people in a cabin for 3.

Because Carnival's reps always give different answers it is totally possible that if you call again you will get someone to drop the 3rd passenger and keep your cabin. However, at that point they can move you at anytime without your input as long as it is to an equal or higher category. Depending on what category you are in now, you could either be on deck 6 above the comedy club, in a spa balcony that is not an aft balcony, in a premium vista balcony, or in a suite.

We were on a summer cruise where we had 4 people in a 4 person cabin. We had to remove one of the people and we were told we either had to move to a 3 person cabin or pay the full fare for the 4th person to remain in that 4 person cabin. Three and 4 person cabins are in high demand during the summer.

If you change ext afts beware of the 2 ext aft on Deck 7 next to the corner wraps. They are much smaller than the middle ext afts. They are minus the sofa and coffee table, also the tv might be in a strange place. The ext balconies are the same. We got stuck in one of these weird ext afts a couple of yrs, ago, so now I always check the Carnival website, Plan, Deck Plans- go the the cabin and click on details. This tells you what is exactly in the cabin. If it says no sofa or coffee table then it is the smaller ext aft. I didn't like the cabin at all and we paid just as much as the the other middle, larger ext aft cabins.

According to his roll call, he's booked 7462. Also, if he's required to move with only 2 booked, it's likely because he's cruising in July, a busy season.

Thanks again for all the replies, many of them were helpful and I think we are just going to bite the bullet on this one. We really don't want to give up the cabin. We are just going to pretend we really didn't pay for a third person and enjoy the cruise no matter what.:)