Gluten Free On Emerald Princess

Millygirl

Me, my husband, and my parents were on Emerald Princess last week and enjoyed a wonderful 7 day cruise! I wanted to just share my experience on my first cruise as a Gluten Free person.

We booked the cruise almost a year before. A couple of months ago I was diagnosed with Graves Disease and just 3 weeks before we cruised, my Dr. told me I needed to start eating Gluten Free. That made me really nervous about going on this cruise. I love cruising but I still don’t always feel that great and I don’t have all of my ducks in a row yet as far as what I can and can’t eat. I want to feel as good as possible though so I’m doing the best I can. I updated my cruise personalizer to show a Gluten Free diet and I made myself a plan to just eat the same things every day for Breakfast and Lunch. That actually worked out pretty well. For Breakfast in the Horizon Court they always had Rice Crispies and fruit. For Lunch I ate a big salad with fruit and whatever Gluten Free dessert they had on offer. I must say I looked forward to seeing what the new lunch dessert would be each day. Dinner was a whole different ballgame since the menus change every day. We really enjoy Traditional Dining and had the early seating. Since I had noted my diet preference ahead of time I was hoping to get a Gluten Free menu or to at least see something noted on the menu. I was just about to ask our wonderful Waitress about it on our first night when a Head Waiter came over to our table. His name is Francesco. He introduced himself and told me that he would be taking care of me as far as my Gluten Free needs. I explained that it was a recent change for me and that I was a bit nervous about the whole thing. He assured me that I didn’t need to be afraid. That I could choose what I wanted from the menu each night and if I chose something that could not be made Gluten Free, he would modify my choice or make substitutions for me. Each night he would give me the next day’s menu so that I could make my choices. He quickly learned that if he gave me something that was not on the regular menu, my husband and parents would have their forks in for a taste so, he always gave us extra. His knowledge of the menu and of my needs was amazing to me. I can’t tell you what an amazing comfort it was to have him looking out for me every night. My anxiety about food vanished completely and I was able to truly relax and enjoy myself! I’m certain that there were many other Gluten Free diners on our cruise. Whenever I looked up I would see Francesco running here and there…always very busy. But when he came to our table he was always so friendly and concerned. Always taking time to be sure I was happy with what I was eating and feeling good. If you’re cruising on the Emerald and are Gluten Free like me, I suggest you request Francesco. I’m sure other Head Waiters would be helpful but he was truly amazing!

To sum up I’d like to say that if you’re eating Gluten Free, definitely note it in your cruise personalizer. Even if you’re already comfortable with eating that way, it’s always nice to not have to think too much when you’re on vacation. :)

Me, my husband, and my parents were on Emerald Princess last week and enjoyed a wonderful 7 day cruise! I wanted to just share my experience on my first cruise as a Gluten Free person.

We booked the cruise almost a year before. A couple of months ago I was diagnosed with Graves Disease and just 3 weeks before we cruised, my Dr. told me I needed to start eating Gluten Free. That made me really nervous about going on this cruise. I love cruising but I still don’t always feel that great and I don’t have all of my ducks in a row yet as far as what I can and can’t eat. I want to feel as good as possible though so I’m doing the best I can. I updated my cruise personalizer to show a Gluten Free diet and I made myself a plan to just eat the same things every day for Breakfast and Lunch. That actually worked out pretty well. For Breakfast in the Horizon Court they always had Rice Crispies and fruit. For Lunch I ate a big salad with fruit and whatever Gluten Free dessert they had on offer. I must say I looked forward to seeing what the new lunch dessert would be each day. Dinner was a whole different ballgame since the menus change every day. We really enjoy Traditional Dining and had the early seating. Since I had noted my diet preference ahead of time I was hoping to get a Gluten Free menu or to at least see something noted on the menu. I was just about to ask our wonderful Waitress about it on our first night when a Head Waiter came over to our table. His name is Francesco. He introduced himself and told me that he would be taking care of me as far as my Gluten Free needs. I explained that it was a recent change for me and that I was a bit nervous about the whole thing. He assured me that I didn’t need to be afraid. That I could choose what I wanted from the menu each night and if I chose something that could not be made Gluten Free, he would modify my choice or make substitutions for me. Each night he would give me the next day’s menu so that I could make my choices. He quickly learned that if he gave me something that was not on the regular menu, my husband and parents would have their forks in for a taste so, he always gave us extra. His knowledge of the menu and of my needs was amazing to me. I can’t tell you what an amazing comfort it was to have him looking out for me every night. My anxiety about food vanished completely and I was able to truly relax and enjoy myself! I’m certain that there were many other Gluten Free diners on our cruise. Whenever I looked up I would see Francesco running here and there…always very busy. But when he came to our table he was always so friendly and concerned. Always taking time to be sure I was happy with what I was eating and feeling good. If you’re cruising on the Emerald and are Gluten Free like me, I suggest you request Francesco. I’m sure other Head Waiters would be helpful but he was truly amazing!

To sum up I’d like to say that if you’re eating Gluten Free, definitely note it in your cruise personalizer. Even if you’re already comfortable with eating that way, it’s always nice to not have to think too much when you’re on vacation. :)

Agree with your comments, I am a Coeliac (Celiac in USA) I have no major food problems on board Princess ships and as with you select next nights dinner previous night.

Great to hear! If its the Francesco I think it is he has been with Princess for a long time and really knows his job and people. Very gracious host. :)

I don't usually eat gluten free deserts unless the don't have the regular dessert offered so I might not be the best judge but I thought the gluten free items on the Emerald weren't prepared very well compared to other ships like the Royal or Regal. The tapioca & rice pudding were always mushy as were some others. I don't know if is was the missing gluten or just because of the preparation.

When we were on the Coral last month there was a older women at our table one night who also was on a gluten free diet. The maitre'd knew her and came over and reassured her that she would be taken care of, and she was.

It appears Princess takes gluten sensitive passengers concerns very seriously.

Sorry about your diagnosis but it's great to hear that Princess took care of you and your needs. You might think about reposting this on the Disabled Cruise Travel forum under Special Interest Cruising. I regularly go to that forum (my sister uses a scooter) and there are always questions about gluten free cruising.

I don't usually eat gluten free deserts unless the don't have the regular dessert offered so I might not be the best judge but I thought the gluten free items on the Emerald weren't prepared very well compared to other ships like the Royal or Regal. The tapioca & rice pudding were always mushy as were some others. I don't know if is was the missing gluten or just because of the preparation.

My wife just started eating gluten free. She isn't Celiac, it is a sensitivity and her doctor told her to go gluten free since she feels better when she does. Anyway, I have had a chance to taste the gluten free desert items available at the grocery store and in restaurants. In my opinion they are not as good as traditional desert recepies that contain gluten. The wheat flour substitutes seem to be more grainy, and they also seem to be sweeter. It comes across as your child's first attempt at cooking, and while it isn't burned or made with spoiled ingredients, it isn't quite right, but you eat it anyway

However, it is comforting to know that she will be well taken care of on our Alaska cruise this summer.

Thank you for the suggestion, jpcello. I will copy and repost in the Disabled/Special Interest forum. ChiefSealthCruz, first, your dog is adorable :-). I am very big on dessert and I haven't found much at the grocery store that appeals to me either. I love to bake though and am in the process of altering some of my favorite recipes to a Gluten Free version. I have to say though that the GF desserts on the Emerald were fabulous. I especially enjoyed the fresh strawberry pudding on the buffet at lunch. All of the dining room desserts were wonderful.

You can get the same type of help for breakfast and lunch.

If you are eating at the buffet tell one of the cooks/waiters that you need help for gluten-free. They will introduce you to a manager who can go over the available dishes.

I have always been given the next day's lunch menu at the same time as the dinner menu, in case I want to eat lunch in the dining room. When I am seated for lunch I tell the waiter my meal is pre-ordered and my evening table number. Waiter can then retrieve my order, verifies it and serves my food with my tablemates.

No problem if you have placed your order but don't actually get to the dining room for lunch.

• 10 months later...