Regal Princess- St. Thomas Question

blueseas4me2

We are planning to head to Trunk Bay on our upcoming cruise.

It appears that we will be docked in Havensight. How close is that to Red Hook? Any idea what the cab ride might run?

Its about a 20 minute drive, not sure what it costs anymore.

Be careful returning as the traffic back from Redhook to Havensight almost cost us a missed ship. It can get really bad when everyones returning at the same time.

If the ship ends up at Crown bay you will really need to watch your time.

Its about a 20 minute drive, not sure what it costs anymore.

Be careful returning as the traffic back from Redhook to Havensight almost cost us a missed ship. It can get really bad when everyones returning at the same time.

If the ship ends up at Crown bay you will really need to watch your time.

I agree. We rented a condo on St Thomas for a week and had a car. It is not the fastest place to get around and Red Hook is on the other side of the island. Trunk Bay is beautiful but PLEASE make sure you leave yourself lots of time on the return. IMO I wouldn't do St. John if your sailing time is 4 or 5pm. If you want a beautiful alternative on the island of St. Thomas try Secret Harbour.

We are planning to head to Trunk Bay on our upcoming cruise.

It appears that we will be docked in Havensight. How close is that to Red Hook? Any idea what the cab ride might run?

Last time we took a cab to red hook it was $10 pp and they crammed us in a van with about 10 other people. We made sure to be first off the ship so that we could get on an early ferry, 9:00 am ferry I think? From there, we took a tram for $7 pp to trunk bay. We beat the cruise ship crowds by a couple hours. I know many cruise lines offer a transfer option to go to at John on your own, and last time I looked it didn't cost much more than truly doing it on your own. I will say, we took the 2:30 ferry back from St. John and the traffic from red hook to havensite was awful Our ship didn't depart until 6 pm, but if it had left at 5:00 I would have been sweating bullets. We did make it back to the port at 3:30-3:45. We were only one of three cruise ships in port, so plan accordingly.

And to address the 20 minute estimate, yes, it seemed about 20 minutes going and 45 minutes coming back. One road, and it backs up. Also, I should add that the tram right back from trunk bay to the ferry at at John costs $7 pp plus the cab ride back was another $10 each, so you spend a lot in transportation fees. It's baloney how much they charge people in st Thomas for cab rides. It used to be about half the price a decade ago

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by 4cats4me

Just checked and princess does still offer an on your own option for $40 pp, and they pick you up pier side by boat and you go directly to St. John from the pier, but we did this option a couple years ago and it was about a 45-minute extremely rough, as in turbulent, ride over as opposed to riding from red hook (approx 20 min ride). I will say this, if your ship departs at 4 or 5:00, I highly recommend the Princess transfer option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk3e8c2ccbd79531aee8f5d15ef3d85ba2.jpg

Edited by 4cats4me