Jeans on Houston ships- do you agree?

karen2cruz

I'm looking forward to wearing jeans every night, in every dining room. So I guess you can say I enthusiastically agree.

Me too! In fact I cannot believe I don't have to pack a suit or jacket at all!

I've been on 2 Texas based cruises and I live in the Dallas area. The one cruise was very inexpensive, so it attracts a different type of people. I think they're blaming the casual dress on Texans, but it's actually that they are trying to appeal to a lower class of people. My husband doesn't really like to dress up, but even he commented on the tackiness and poor table manners of some of the people. We had a great time, but we knew what we were paying for.

• 3 weeks later...

Having lived in Texas my entire life and being that we dine out at least 2-4 times a week, I have seen a thing or two--in fact all kinds of things when at restaurants. Seriously, we eat out at least 100 dinners a year in the Houston area. Now I will say that I LOVE jeans because I cannot wear them to work. I do not equate jeans with work clothes at all. Maybe I would on a ranch, but otherwise they are my RELAX clothes. But, in all but the most upscale of restaurants I see jeans on half the people in restaurants in Texas. You can go to a restaurant called Taste of Texas (for example), and have the best steaks of your life and a good many people are in jeans because the entire theme is western and Texan. You will also see people dressed to the nines there too. Now if you go to Morton's, another common steak house (not as good as the previously mentioned one IMHO), you will see people dressed up because that is the nature of the restaurant and its ambiance. IF you go to Vargo's or Tony's or other well known (non-chain) restaurants, people will dress nicely. I have seen many people eat at decent, though not trendy restaurants in shorts at dinner in Texas ALL THE TIME. When temps are 90-100 degrees for 4-5 months a year, comfort is probably a big factor I suppose. So many people just don't really care--they feel it is their money and they will wear what they want I guess. Texas has a very laid back culture for dress in restaurants-particularly the chain type. BUT I would not dress in jeans in a nice restaurant with a dress code. I will certainly follow what I am asked to wear. Do I care if others wear jeans? Absolutely not- Just cover your butt, be clean, and I don't want to see your thongs--(on either your tush or your feet!)

Wow, 78 posts offering different levels of "advice" for a RULE that NCL came up with for its Houston-based ships.

NCL owns the ship, NCL makes the rules - period.

I agree that wearing a pair of jeans that look as if they had been worn at home while cleaning the yard would not be acceptable, same goes for someone wearing a tuxedo with a torn pocket and a big stain on the front of the jacket.

In Texas, especially West Texas, jeans (nice cleaned ones) and boots, are worn with a jacket and tie to good restaurants and even funerals. It IS a custom here.

Further, all of you that stated "cowboy hats" and "cowboy boots" are also probably from the north or watched Urban Cowboy one too many times. True Texans know it is a "Western hat" and "Western boots. My boots cost $300.00, I dare say that most pairs of shoes don't cost that much.

I have worn black jeans on every cruise I've been on in the dining rooms (except on formal nights). I have never been asked to leave. I've gone out of my way to ask the Maiter'D (sp?) if this was acceptable and they all said yes.

I'm one of those that really hates to dress up. However, rules are rules. On a particular formal night, if I don't feel like dressing up, I don't take the "I paid for this cruise so I can do what I want" attitude, I eat at the buffet restaurant that is there especially for those like me that have made that decision.

I'm not trying to insult anyone here, really, but I find it strange that there are 78 posts about a rule that can not be changed by any one of you. I can equate wearing blue jeans on a Houston-based ship as I can with wearing bermuda shorts and tall stockings on Bermuda cruises, or Hawaiian shirts on Hawaii cruises.NCL is simly trying to equate itself with the location of their ships. If the "rule" does not work, or if they receive many complaints about it, it will change, believe me.

Thanks for listening.

Okay, flame away if you must.

No Flame here - good to hear you wear colored jeans too. My hubby wears white or black and has on every one of our 18 cruises and will again. I have learned in 15 years of marriage to pick your battles and this one I lost and let go after the first cruise. Technically he is more dressed up than me in a little sundress... :) I dont understand the whole problem at all and why people worry about such a thing as how someone else is dressed except that i do have to admit I don't like to see young 13-15 year old girls wearing the style of clothing that is so low it is undecent. that does bother me but I don't go out of my way to point it out to anyone. Hubby didn't think much about it till I asked if I could wear the clothes those girls were wearing (I could easialy fit in them) and he looked at me and said "H*** NO" Funny! Debbie

Isn't it strange that a topic which so many profess to not have a problem with, causes such adamant response?
People like to say that they don't give a rip what someone else wears, and
that may be true, but if so, why the fervor of a thread such as this.
The entire thing about Texans being given a special dress code seemed
strange when I first read it. But, if it works, so be it.
NCL has made this rule, so stand by it.
Obviously, they have asked folks to abide by the "Freestyle Resort Casual" dress code, which is not being taken seriously by many.
I wonder where it will end, and what the dress code means
to folks today, and will mean down the road.
Where did I put that crystal ball, anyway!

Archived