Jeans on Houston ships- do you agree?

karen2cruz

In my humble opinion, the European based Executives of NCL have seen the movie "URBAN COWBOY" once too many times and have based a major marketing strategy on their perceived Texas Sterotypes.

I was under the impression that NCL executives were based in Miami. Are they not? I do know that NCL's owners are in Asia.

I was borned and raised (notice I did NOT say bred) in Texas and do not own a pair of cowboy boots.

It appears that NCl is giving in to some type of Texas stereotype. There are some of us that have never been on a horse, can walk and talk at the same time and know how to dress for dinner.

Just my own personal opinion.

Have at it.

Karen

Although my slacks of choice are Docker type (Savane in particular) I don't have any problem with denim. I woulldn't even mind shorts in the dining room. What I do vehemently object to is caps and hats at any of the dining venues where the wearer is seated. That includes the buffet. Besides being very poor manners I'm tired of hearing my wife's complaints.

To add to what I wrote before.

The jeans thing being acceptable for ships sailing from Texas ports is obviously a marketing strategy by NCL. Not everyone likes Country and Western music, as not everyone likes Jazz or Swing music. I see nothing wrong marketing a cruise to those who do like Country and Western music, or to the Texas culture.

Considering the competition in the Houston/Galveston market are RCL, Celebrity, and Carnival, with their Traditional dining and very Formal nights, what's wrong marketing Freestyle dining with Texas culture. Can you imagine a cowboy wearing a tuxedo? Talk about fish being out of water........

There are plenty of Texans who wouldn't sail on the other lines because they are TOO formal.

electricron, you make very good sense. That is what I was trying to say, but did not do as good a job as you. ts01854, joking or serious I don't think polical views and remarks should be part of these threads. this is just my opinion, you may be opening a can of worms; before we know it there will be 10 people commenting on what you said and the subject of jeans and dressing will be lost somewhere. NMnita

Are we getting into stereotypes here:o If anyone of you had seen the marketing of the Tex-a-ribbean sailings you can understand why NCL would allow jeans.

We all know Texans are not all "cowboys" nor do they all dress like one. But some do...........and some people "pretend":D

BTW......there are Tuxedos that are made in the Western Fashion.

The guys who play cowboy dress-up and work as stockbrokers, probably also drive around in Ford 250s with gun-racks, rebel front plate etc, etc.

It is silly, but it is also symptomatic of the decline in societal standards. It started with LBJ and went downhill from there.

It is also phony. I know one son-in-law who moved south and inside a year was talking like a regular on Grand Ole Opry.

Let's get some class and return to the style and language of the Northeast.

The guys who play cowboy dress-up and work as stockbrokers, probably also drive around in Ford 250s with gun-racks, rebel front plate etc, etc.

It is silly, but it is also symptomatic of the decline in societal standards. It started with LBJ and went downhill from there.

It is also phony. I know one son-in-law who moved south and inside a year was talking like a regular on Grand Ole Opry.

Methinks someone is trying to start trouble:rolleyes:

I won't be wearing jeans in the dining room, but it certainly won't offend me if anyone else does. Doesn't make any difference as long as clothes are clean & neat. Think NCL is just trying to get everyone to "relax". That's ok with me & I'm not even from Texas!! Have a great cruise!

Methinks someone is trying to start trouble:rolleyes:

Agree. I know people from the NE and have had good visits with many more. These people have class. Too much, in fact to look down their noses at the cultures, speech, and customs found in the diversity across this nation. Don't worry New Englanders. We know this one doesn't represent most of you.

What an attitude!! If people want to play cowboy as you call it why does this bother you so much? No, I don't want to see torn jeans, shorts, baggy clothes etc in the dining room or anywhere for that matter, but if people feel comfortable in nice jeans and shirts and come from a part of the country where this is acceptable dress what difference does it make? BTW: I would not wear jeans to dinner nor shorts. I don't like to see them in church and I certainly wouldn't want to see them on formal nights. NMNita

What really counts is what the Hostess who is going to assign your seating says. We just got off the Dream and our friend was denied access twice for wearing "resort casual" in the evening, one time it was jeans and the other was bermuda shorts. Jeans were allowed in the Trattoria in the evening, however, but not in the Terraces and the Four Seasons. Spots bar, you could probably get away just wearing at Ten Gallon hat:eek:

I agree with jeans period - no matter where you're from. Jeans are a fashion staple. When women wear jeans with a sequin top or dressy jacket, jeans become dressy. When men wear jeans with a blazer, jeans become more formal. Jeans are not the problem....what you wear with them is.

Although I live in Virginia, for 28 yearsI lived in Houston, so I can certainly understand and relate to the "texas culture.". That being said, my initial reaction to the jeans allowed policy is negative. I wouldn't wear jeans to a fine restaurant and I consider the dining rooms to be just that. The look and feel of the main dining rooms is meant to convey an upscale and elegant look, (food quality may be another issue), and both my wife and I enjoy dressing accordingly. We'll certainly be decked out in our finery during formal night.

The other issue that I see with a jeans allowed policy is the fact that jeans can really mean a lot of different things to a lot of people. Yes, nice clean pressed jeans may be fine with a nice shirt and/or sportcoat, but "work" jeans probably aren't.

I sit on the board of our country club and we have a no jeans allowed policy. We've discussed changing it, but we've determined it's too slippery a slope. Jeans is just too broad a category. We'd probably be OK with nice dress jeans, but we don't want someone coming in with their grass stained jeans right after they finish mowing the lawn.

Long story short, I don't really care what others wear, but I'm not in favor of the policy.

OK - I'm from New York - born and raised. I moved to Texas senior year high school and met a guy deep sea fishing with my parents. We got married. Now I was sitting on the corral watching them brand cattle (15 years ago) on their land and I was thinking "Now THIS is TEXAS!" I love it!! Now he looks great in a tux and a suit but he is not really all for dressing up. 18 cruises and he wears a suit on formal night but other than that it is jeans. Now white jeans or black jeans (not blue) and really unless you are looking close you won't even know they are jeans. He has worn black or white jeans to the dining room on CCL and RCL and NCL. No problem. If there was a problem they would not be getting the money we dish out for cruises. None has ever worried about our dress and we usually get to know half the ship before we leave. Been all over including Panama Canal full transit and Hawaii and it hasnt' been an issue with anyone. Marriage is hard enough without sweating the small stuff. He also wears dockers some nights but he always wears jeans black or white at least one or two nights of the cruise. Great guy and everyone loves him. I married a real - not play - Texan and we have been all over and nobody has complained! Certainly not me! 15 years and I am very very happy! LOL Debbie

I've been in Texas for more than 16 years now. A lot of people wear jeans here. Certainly those who live and work on ranches wear them. The rodeo people wear them. But, unless you work in a very casual place, you don't wear them to work. Of course there is always that casual Friday thing where some companies allow jeans.

In my 16 years here I've had the opportunity to eat in some fine restaurants. I don't believe I ever saw jeans in any place that had a dress code. Now, in places that used to require a jacket and tie have eased up a bit and make it jackets and collared shirt with no tie required. In my opinion, there should be no jeans allowed on the cruise in the nicer restaurants with a nice blazer or dressy tops for the ladies or not.

One last point, everyone getting on the cruises out of Houston and Galveston are not from Texas so why give this cruise a jeans waiver and not all the rest?

Archived