Jeans on Houston ships- do you agree?

karen2cruz

Hi,

The NCL website says that jeans are allowed for dining in the evenings on all cruises leaving Houston. How many of you agree or disagree with this allowance/policy for Houston sailings? And how many of you plan to dress this way?

from the website:

Below are a few exceptions to the dining room dress code:

Blue Jeans will be allowed in all dining rooms on all Houston departures, due to the Texas culture.

Blue Jeans will be allowed in the Trattoria's in the evenings.

Jeans have no place in a Norwegian main restaurant at dinner whether in Texas, California, Alaska, New York, or Miami. Yes, for breakfast and lunch, no for dinner. NCL should drop this policy and stick with one policy fleetwide.

Is "resort casual" asking too much for Norwegian cruisers to dine in NCL's restaurants for dinner?

when some men wear starched clean wranglers with shirt and jacket they can look as good as casual - and on the other hand when they are raggey with a t shirt I would not be happy. Will be on the Dream soon so it will be interesting to see the outcome.

I could care less. I'll dress up a little more because that's how "I" am comfortable. As long as their thong isn't poking up from the waist band or I'm staring at lovely bare love handles and trying to eat, I feel it's none of my business. Jeans can be a lot classier than many styles I'm seeing.

My Opinion -

NCL has committed to a new marketing campaign that they have dubbed "Tex-Caribbean".

They are targeting Texans.

In my humble opinion, the European based Executives of NCL have seen the movie "URBAN COWBOY" once too many times and have based a major marketing strategy on their perceived Texas Sterotypes.

Jeans are allowed.

Six Shooters are not.

PolishFalcon....

Then if they're targetting jean-totin' Texans, I'd like see a Board-Short-Saggin' Flip-Flop-Wearing California marketing campaign. LOL Just kidding! I really don't care, I just thought that was cute what you said.

I completely agree with NCL's policy.

Denim jeans can be dressed up. Take a look at this web site:

http://www.sheplers.com/cat.cfm?TID=022665&Start=1&page=category

Sheplers is amongst the largest western wear clothing and boot stores in Texas. While they do have slacks for sale to go with their shirts, jackets, and suits: starched pressed denim jeans is a very popular choice for evening wear in Texas, for men and women. At any lounge/restaurant in Texas requiring jackets for entry, denim western wear is acceptable at most. At cowboy and western lounges and Texas steak restaurants in Ft. Worth, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, and Houston, more than half the customers are wearing denim.

I agree tattered denim jeans is very tacky for formal dining; starched and pressed denim jeans with a jacket or in a denim western suit is acceptable in Texas.

What about the ten gallon hat? And machetes for brush cutting? And mountain bikes on the promenade deck? Yahooooo!

I find a man wearing clean pressed jeans.......a dress western shirt.....polished boots......A COWBOY HAT........doing the two-step........very, very sexy;)

I think the jeans thing is great. This way people who want to where jeans.. like my husband who has to dress "up" everyday can go on vacation and relax without having to feel like he is wearing his work clothes still.

We live in Northeast Texas and I was raised in West Texas but my husband WILL NOT be wearing jeans to the dining room. If for no other reason, out of respect for my preference. We can wear jeans when the stalls need mucking out and when on vacation we prefer to play dress-up!

I have sailed twice out of Houston on the Texaribbean itinerary. Yes, it has been referred to as that since the onset in 1998: The majority of those on board are from Texas and the southwest. People from that part of our country love their jeans and I, personally dont care as long as they are clean, not worn and passengers are not showing up for dinner in old T shirts and cut offs. Would I wear jeans or would DH? Nope, but I do not think it is the end of the world. NMNita

We are born and bred Texans, and we have no jeans packed.. I personally find the new exception insulting.. It is like we Texans are still running around on horse back and carry 6 guns.....LOL

Altho I do think a stiffly starched white shirt and starched jeans is mighty sexy looking;) ... You can take the girl out of the country but you can't take the country out of the girl:p

And to add injury to insult, if you notice further down from where you copied and pasted,, NCL says capris are fine for women as long as they aren't jean capris.. WHAT!:eek:.. You mean my husband can wear jeans because he is a Texan.. But I can't:confused: .. The logic there escapes me:D

Each to his own.. but no jeans in our bags....

In my experience, jeans=work clothes.

OK so we now live in North Carolina, everyone wears a baseball cap for whatever reason (the guys anyway) so those should be allowed.....also NASCAR wear....

In South Carolina, Confederate flag shirts are popular for any occassion so those should be allowed too....

In my home state of Wisconsin, we wear blocks of cheese on our heads for Packer games and also I've seen them out at fancy restraunts pre-game.

If NCL is going to 'market' to one mass; gee they should market to everyone.

Frankly I don't care what someone ELSE wears to dinner, but you won't catch me in jeans at dinner!!!

Hi,

The NCL website says that jeans are allowed for dining in the evenings on all cruises leaving Houston. How many of you agree or disagree with this allowance/policy for Houston sailings? And how many of you plan to dress this way?

from the website:

Below are a few exceptions to the dining room dress code:

Blue Jeans will be allowed in all dining rooms on all Houston departures, due to the Texas culture.

Blue Jeans will be allowed in the Trattoria's in the evenings.

A couple of points:

1. "Texas culture"?? What's that? I'm from NY, so does it mean all Texans are blue jean wearin, six-gun packin cowpokes? Will ten-gallon hats be allowed as well?

2. And if there is indeed a "Texas culture", what can you image will be the marketing strategy for "Noo Yawk" culture, or "Bahstan" culture, etc.?

Should be a system-wide standard. IMHO.

We are born and bred Texans, and we have no jeans packed.. I personally find the new exception insulting.. It is like we Texans are still running around on horse back and carry 6 guns.....LOL

Altho I do think a stiffly starched white shirt and starched jeans is mighty sexy looking;) ... You can take the girl out of the country but you can't take the country out of the girl:p

And to add injury to insult, if you notice further down from where you copied and pasted,, NCL says capris are fine for women as long as they aren't jean capris.. WHAT!:eek:.. You mean my husband can wear jeans because he is a Texan.. But I can't:confused: .. The logic there escapes me:D

Each to his own.. but no jeans in our bags....

In my experience, jeans=work clothes.

Carolyn, I really don't think the policy was meant to insult any of us. I do know how you feel. We lived 13 years in the Dallas area and as you can tell are now in NM and yes, many think we are backwards, classless and plain ole country folks (BTW that isn't all bad). I believe the truth be told, various parts of our country do dress in different styles. What someone in New England may consider as casual those in the Southwest would think of as dressed to the nines. This is just a fact. We have a couple of people who go to our church that still wear hats and gloves: to most of us they look strange as we are so much more relaxed in our dress. Is this good or bad, I don't know, but it's fact. The capri part is pretty funny!! I am sure it is an oversight, but still funny!!! NMNita

Do I care what anyone else wears to dinner, heck no!! Will it ruin my dining experience if the person next to me is wearing jeans, no way. I try not to stress about the small stuff. To me that is small stuff. On our last cruise I wore skirts, slacks and dresses to dinner most nights becase I wanted to. My husband (who lives in jeans at home) wore khakis to dinner every night, with a button down shirt. Unfortunately he forgot his sneakers and shoes (he only had the plastic tux shoes) and wore flip flops everywhere.

My kids did point out every one dressed "down" in the dining room, how come they can wear shorts or jeans or whatever in the dining room and I cant, my reply simply was because thats the rules and we follow by them (well, most of the time).

Patty

Archived