Jeans on Houston ships- do you agree?

karen2cruz

I've been in Texas for more than 16 years now. A lot of people wear jeans here. Certainly those who live and work on ranches wear them. The rodeo people wear them. But, unless you work in a very casual place, you don't wear them to work. Of course there is always that casual Friday thing where some companies allow jeans.

Yes, those working in white collar jobs, in an office environment, may not wear jeans. But everyone else working in blue collar jobs, janitors, gardeners, craftsmen, construction workers, waiters, waitresses, salesmen, clerks, technicians, all wear jeans. Even my boss, and his boss, up to the VP in charge of Operations, wears pressed jeans to work.

If NCL wants to become the "elite" cruise line in Texas, it'll drop the jeans exemption. If NCL wants to become the "casual" cruise line in Texas, it'll keep the jeans exemption. Marketing wise, there's far more causal people in Texas than elite.

I didn't say that everyone here in Texas were white collar workers. I'm sorry if it sounded that way.

I guess I just have a hard time understanding why NCL Texas cruises would allow jeans in the dining room and no where else. I can't understand why a person couldn't wear a pair of proper slacks to dinner in a nice restuarant on the ship or anywhere else.

I believe I said in the previous posting that not everyone on the NCL Texas cruises are from Texas. I would like to ask if this jeans expemption thing is in writing anywhere in the NCL literature or online. I guess I just don't understand the jeans thing.

I didn't say that everyone here in Texas were white collar workers. I'm sorry if it sounded that way.

I guess I just have a hard time understanding why NCL Texas cruises would allow jeans in the dining room and no where else. I can't understand why a person couldn't wear a pair of proper slacks to dinner in a nice restuarant on the ship or anywhere else.

I believe I said in the previous posting that not everyone on the NCL Texas cruises are from Texas. I would like to ask if this jeans expemption thing is in writing anywhere in the NCL literature or online. I guess I just don't understand the jeans thing.

I would like to ask if this jeans expemption thing is in writing anywhere in the NCL literature or online.

Here's the wording, as posted on NCL's web site:

Below are a few exceptions to the dining room dress code:

- Blue Jeans will be allowed in all dining rooms on all Houston departures, due to the Texas culture.

- Blue Jeans will be allowed in the Trattoria's in the evenings.

- Bermuda shorts with knee high socks, or Scottish kilts with knee highs will also be allowed in all dining rooms in Bermuda as these are considered formal dress in Bermuda.

- Hawaiian shirts are allowed with proper slacks in all dining rooms.

- Ladies Capri Pants, which are a length between the knee and ankles, are acceptable in all fine dining rooms as long as they are not blue jean capris.

Here's the wording, as posted on NCL's web site:

- Bermuda shorts with knee high socks, or Scottish kilts with knee highs will also be allowed in all dining rooms in Bermuda as these are considered formal dress in Bermuda.

I'm sorry but I have a real problem with this part of the exemption.

(Scottish) kilts are formal attire - nothing to do with Bermuda.

My son will be wearing his kilt on our next cruise on formal night and my husband will be wearing his tartan trews which are also considered to be formal attire - even although we will be sailing out of NYC. At a formal dinner in Scotland you will see many more kilts and tartan trews than you will tuxs.

Thanks for posting the NCL statements on jeans. I understand what they are saying. What I don't agree with is that jeans are part of Texas Culture. That might be true between then end of October to the beginning of April but other times it's so hot here you wear as little as you can and heavy jeans are really warm.

I won't wear jeans at dinner. I wouldn't feel comfortable but it won't bother me if others do. We enjoy getting dressed up once in a while. To each his own as long as we're all having a good time.

I'll be wearing Dockers in the main restaurants because that's my style, but it doesn't offend me at all if someone comes dressed up Texas style, and I really rather enjoy the fact that Norwegian has taken the "stuffy" out of cruising.

I do not want to continue to beat a dead horse but................................

What alarms me about this policy is that there are "Goobs" in every society, including the Great State of Texas, and they will take advantage of this policy. I agree that jeans can look real sharp if worn with the proper shirt or accessories and are neatly pressed. But I promise you there will be "Goobs" that will wear to the dining room the very same jeans that they were wearing to work in the yard last week. It is my belief that your behaviour and your attire are a direct reflection of your "raising" and most of us strive to insure that our parents remain proud. Jeans alone are not going to be the real problem here......lack of breeding will be.

As stated in an earlier post, my husband will NOT be wearing jeans in the dining room out of respect to myself and his "raising". He will wear a suit on formal night and dockers with a nice shirt on the others. That is about as "un-dressed" up as he will ever be at dinner. He is not a cowboy & was not raised in a rural area (city boy) and therefore the whole tux jacket with jeans thing would be foreign to him. I was raised in West Texas and I am used to seeing it and accept it but PLEASE remove the Stetson in the dining room!!

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

I do not care what anyone else is wearing, am there to enjoy myself

not scope out what everyone else is wearing!!!

Can someone please post the URL from the NCL site so I can show my family, they will be so happy that they can wear jeans some of the time....

With all of the changes to the Sun cruises, this is a bright spot for alot of people....

Happy sailing

J

Can someone please post the URL from the NCL site so I can show my family, they will be so happy that they can wear jeans some of the time....Happy sailing J

Here it is, the URl you asked for:

http://www.ncl.com/more/fp_mi_w2n.htm

Look under:

Dress Code in Dining Rooms

Freestyle Cruising gives our guests the freedom to dress as they please. Resort casual attire is always appropriate morning, noon and night. However, NCL/ NCLA does not allow any blue jeans, t-shirts, shorts, cut-offs, tank tops, bare feet, etc. in any of our fine dining restaurants for dinner, including all main restaurants, alternative restaurants, and cover charge venues.

Guests are allowed to wear blue jeans, shorts and t-shirts, in the evenings at the buffets, outdoor barbeques, and 24-hour venues, such as the Blue Lagoon, the Cadillac diner, etc.

Blue Jeans will be allowed in all dining rooms on all Houston departures, due to the Texas culture.

Blue Jeans will be allowed in the Trattoria's in the evenings.

Bermuda shorts with knee high socks, or Scottish kilts with knee highs will also be allowed in all dining rooms in Bermuda as these are considered formal dress in Bermuda.

Hawaiian shirts are allowed with proper slacks in all dining rooms.

Ladies Capri Pants, which are a length between the knee and ankles, are acceptable in all fine dining rooms as long as they are not blue jean capris.

I also highlighted the text specifically on where jeans are allowed.

The last thing I plan on doing is worrying what the people at the table next to me are wearing. I can only control what I do/say/wear, and to spend time fretting because of what table #22 is wearing is a waste of time, energy and fun. To each his own!!

I think the jeans thing is great. This way people who want to where jeans.. like my husband who has to dress "up" everyday can go on vacation and relax without having to feel like he is wearing his work clothes still.

Exactly right. I wore a suit, white shirt, and tie to work every day for 26 years, and it's wonderful NOT to have to dress that way--and especially since there's no real reason to justify doing so on any cruise--on an NCL vacation.

Hotspur, they are trying like heck to get the NBA players to shape up and you want to go in the opposite direction.

What really bothers me is that based on the citation above, kilts are apparently out of order anywhere but Bermuda. They are considered full-dress in many venues. More than acceptable.

By the way, does anyone know whether cross dressing is acceptable?

Hotspur, they are trying like heck to get the NBA players to shape up and you want to go in the opposite direction.

What really bothers me is that based on the citation above, kilts are apparently out of order anywhere but Bermuda. They are considered full-dress in many venues. More than acceptable.

By the way, does anyone know whether cross dressing is acceptable?

We booked NCL this time cause of Freestyle Cruising with no formal nights required. We loved everything about cruising but the formal nights and sitting with strangers in the dining room. We switched to Princess a few years ago and personal choice dining solved the dining room problem cause you could get a table for two every night but still had the formal nights to contend with. Not wanting to violate the rules we had to eat in our cabin or at the buffet those nights on Princess. Then we found out that since we were leaving from Houston we could wear jeans which is icing on the cake. Finally we can take a cruise without worrying about such things.

In fact we had decided to do an all inclusive instead of a cruise this year til someone told us about NCL. I think that NCL is smart to do it this way as there are a lot of people who want a cruise to be more like a floating all inclusive resort and less like a traditional cruise. I think it will open up cruising to a lot of people who would not have considered it before.

Dark designer or black jeans with a nice jacket can look good. In Texas y'all can press the Wranglers and hop into the kickers -- urban dwellers can dawn the Ben Sherman / INC jeans with black Macys shoes. So long as they are cordinated with the top and not faded/stained/ripped, jeans can be appropriate.

I must admit, I have not read all of the posts here BUT, I recently cruised the Jewel - NY/New England-Canada.

We did see men (elderly) in jeans w/jackets dining in the evening. So be it...do what you choose...it's freestyle.

We also saw a younger man in jeans, flip-flops, (no jacket) brought through the BACK DOOR of Cagneys (we only noticed him as he was very LOUD in the Star Bar). We had completed our dining in Cagneys.

Several nights later, we were in a lounge having a "before dinner" cocktail before we dined in Le Bistro...this same loud gentleman tried to get into Bistro in his...again...jeans and flip-flops....and again LOUD voice (which is why, we again, noticed him)...he was told there were no tables....

While we were in Le Bistro...there were many EMPTY tables....I was happy to see that they did not accommodate him!

IF you do not want to follow the rules...at least, be discreet about it!

Pack a pair of shoes (not flip-flops) and be quiet!!

I, personally, could care less what others wear to the dining rooms as long as they are not LOUD and obnoxious!

As a PS....would certainly be easier to just pack "jeans" if we were assured we would be admitted to the speciality restaurants!

We were in an Owners Suite...I'm certain this guy was not in a Garden Villa!!!...how did he get into Cagney's in jeans and flip-flops for dinner????

It is my belief that your behaviour and your attire are a direct reflection of your "raising" and most of us strive to insure that our parents remain proud. Jeans alone are not going to be the real problem here......lack of breeding will be.

Some might point out that using oversized, bizarre fonts to call attention to one's self could be viewed as "lack of breeding." But that wouldn't be right, because animals are "bred," and people aren't. It would be nice if people here would cease being boorish by bringing nonsense like "breeding" up.

Some might point out that using oversized, bizarre fonts to call attention to one's self could be viewed as "lack of breeding." But that wouldn't be right, because animals are "bred," and people aren't. It would be nice if people here would cease being boorish by bringing nonsense like "breeding" up.

Gee, I must have hit a "nerve".

Hi,

The NCL website says that jeans are allowed for dining in the evenings on all cruises leaving Houston. How many of you agree or disagree with this allowance/policy for Houston sailings? And how many of you plan to dress this way?

from the website:

Blue Jeans will be allowed in all dining rooms on all Houston departures, due to the Texas culture.

Blue Jeans will be allowed in the Trattoria's in the evenings.

I'm looking forward to wearing jeans every night, in every dining room. So I guess you can say I enthusiastically agree.

Archived