Wine purchase during Denali land portion?

eandj

DH just reminded me that generally we carry on some bottles of wine when boarding Princess ships. Since we are doing a precruise land portion ending in Denali and boarding then in Whittier late afternoon, is there any place in Denali Park that we could shop for those bottles? Or should he just drop that idea this trip?

I suppose if he really wanted to do this we could buy in Anchorage and lug around with us for four days...ugh

Or... maybe the wine will be limited in variety and cost as much as on the ship if we buy it preboarding. Then no bother.

Edited by eandj

I have the same dilemma. I'm wondering if it's possible to put two bottles in the bag we send to the ship --if so I'll buy them in Anchorage. I know there is a store across from the Captain Cook Hotel.

Found this reference to a liquor shop http://www.denaliparksalmonbake.com/denali.html

https://www.denaliparksalmonbake.com/Website-Sled-Dog-Liquor/index.html

https://www.facebook.com/SledDogLiquors/

Edited by Alaskanb

I saw a liquor store in glitter gulch. Google the Denali Chamber of Commerce for store information and maybe give them a call for their pricing (altho they might be closed for the season at this point).

Edited by mapleleaves

I saw a liquor store in glitter gulch. Google the Denali Chamber of Commerce for store information and maybe give them a call for their pricing (altho they might be closed for the season at this point).

I think it's the one I found next to the Salmon Bake called "Sled Dog Liquors". They have a Face Book page that shows some of their "deals" from the 2015 season.

I have the same dilemma. I'm wondering if it's possible to put two bottles in the bag we send to the ship --if so I'll buy them in Anchorage.

https://www.facebook.com/SledDogLiquors/

DH suggested doing this too. But even in bubble wrap and wine sleeves, I'd be afraid because of all the moving and storing of the luggage for 4 days before even getting loaded on the ship. Dh said he'd carry them in his carryon from lodge to lodge. An option, but not sure it's worth it unless...

we could find some Washington State wines that we like for our verandah. Will just have to wait I guess.

Thanks for the Denali info.

Edited by eandj

When we did our land tour, the Denali Princess Lodge was our last stop before the cruise. There were at least two stores across the road with wine available and we stocked up for the cruise there. Selection and prices were far better than we had expected.

If there are specific wines you need, you should probably shop in Anchorage and carry it. If you are willing to settle, you can wait and save the hassle.

When we did our land tour, the Denali Princess Lodge was our last stop before the cruise. There were at least two stores across the road with wine available and we stocked up for the cruise there. Selection and prices were far better than we had expected.

If there are specific wines you need, you should probably shop in Anchorage and carry it. If you are willing to settle, you can wait and save the hassle.

We'll plan this. I'm just looking for a little more variety in moderate priced wines than we've found onboard. Thanks. I found the stores mentioned previously.

We are also taking a 4 day pre-cruise land tour but are starting in Fairbanks and do not want to lug around wine for 4 days either! Our last stop is the McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge, where we will take a shuttle to Talkeetna, then board the train to Whittier. Is there any place to buy bottles of wine near the McKinley Lodge or along the way? Is bottled wine available for purchase at the cruise terminal? Thanks for any suggestions anyone may have!

We are also taking a 4 day pre-cruise land tour but are starting in Fairbanks and do not want to lug around wine for 4 days either! Our last stop is the McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge, where we will take a shuttle to Talkeetna, then board the train to Whittier. Is there any place to buy bottles of wine near the McKinley Lodge or along the way? Is bottled wine available for purchase at the cruise terminal? Thanks for any suggestions anyone may have!

I think your best bet would be in Denali. The McKinley lodge is in a wilderness area. Not sure what is in Talkeetna

Your hotel is about an hour by shuttle to Talkeetna. The town is very small. I don't recall seeing a liquor store in the village. A grocery store opened up nr the Spur Rd but probably not accessible w/o a car. Google the Talkeetna Chamber of Commerce and see what you can find.

There was a liquor store in Whittier (even smaller than Talkeetna) but I've read that it is no longer. Again, try the Whittier AK chamber web site.

If you don't find the info on their sites, maybe give the Chamber a call.

I think your best bet would be in Denali. The McKinley lodge is in a wilderness area. Not sure what is in Talkeetna

Your hotel is about an hour by shuttle to Talkeetna. The town is very small. I don't recall seeing a liquor store in the village. A grocery store opened up nr the Spur Rd but probably not accessible w/o a car. Google the Talkeetna Chamber of Commerce and see what you can find.

There was a liquor store in Whittier (even smaller than Talkeetna) but I've read that it is no longer. Again, try the Whittier AK chamber web site.

If you don't find the info on their sites, maybe give the Chamber a call.

Thanks for all of the ideas! I checked the websites and Chamber of Commerce sites you suggested, and found that there is wine available for sale in Denali, but couldn't find anything in Talkeetna. There is a store that sells "liquor" near the cruise terminal in Whittier, but there was no scale on the map so I don't know the actual distance from the cruise dock. Since we're scheduled to arrive in Whittier at 6:30 PM, I doubt we will have time to check out anything near the port. So we will probably buy wine at Denali and lug it part ways, or just forgo the entire idea. Thanks again for the help!