Benefit to keeping second person on booking

MsSoloTravel

I have a cruise booked for 2 in September and it is paid in full. Now it will just be me. Should I leave the booking alone or go ahead and cancel the 2nd guest? I understand that if that person is a no show I will get refunded the taxes and port fees. But I want to purchase the Cheers ahead of time and don't want to have to pay for 2.

I'm not going to do anything right away just in case I decide to take someone else. Just wanted to know the pros and cons.

I have a cruise booked for 2 in September and it is paid in full. Now it will just be me. Should I leave the booking alone or go ahead and cancel the 2nd guest? I understand that if that person is a no show I will get refunded the taxes and port fees. But I want to purchase the Cheers ahead of time and don't want to have to pay for 2.

I'm not going to do anything right away just in case I decide to take someone else. Just wanted to know the pros and cons.

If you cancel beforehand, you will have to pay a solo supplement. Most suggest leaving the other passenger as a no-show.

If you cancel beforehand, you will have to pay a solo supplement. Most suggest leaving the other passenger as a no-show.

She can cancel, but it makes no sense. Even if she cancels now, all money would be refunded as she's not near final payment date.

I think the cancel question to make herself solo is to purchase cheers as a solo, otherwise she must buy 2.

Well it will depend on a few different factors. Do you know what type of fare you booked? If you booked early saver, then changing one passenger before the final payment date will cause $50 of the deposit to be taken as a service charge, and the rest of the deposit to go as a future cruise credit. You would then be able to add someone, but would have to pay the deposit again. If you did not book early saver, then you can change someone before the final payment date for no penalty.

If you want to make a change after the final payment date, then there is a $50 change fee if you did not book early saver. If you did book early saver, the policy is that you aren't able to make a change, but in my experience, they will change it with a change fee equal to the full deposit amount of the person cancelling.

If you decide to cruise solo, then once again it will depend on whether you did early savor or not. If you did do early saver, and you cancel before the final payment date, then the deposit will be the penalty for cancelling, with all but $50 going as a future cruise credit. At that point they would normally refund back the cancelling person's portion of the cruise fare, but if you wanted to keep the booking as a solo you can keep that on the booking and just pay the difference between the deposit (which was removed from the booking) and the taxes and port fees of the second person. If you did not do early saver, and it is before the final payment date, then you would just cancel the person and they would refund the taxes and port fees.

If you cancel the person after the final payment date, then you will be subject to whatever the penalty is at that time regardless of early saver or other fares. The penalties go up as you get closer to the sailing date. Then you will be charged the solo supplement. Again, if the penalty is not 100% yet, then you can keep whatever would have been refunded on the booking, and then pay the difference.

So basically, if you did not have early saver, then the best bet would be to cancel the second person now for no penalty and then you can always add a new second person later if you want to. If you did do early saver, then it will depend on whether or not you want to add another person. If you don't want to add anyone, then it would be better to have them be a no show. If you do want to add someone, it would be better to cancel before the final payment date.

She can cancel, but it makes no sense. Even if she cancels now, all money would be refunded as she's not near final payment date.

I think the cancel question to make herself solo is to purchase cheers as a solo, otherwise she must buy 2.

Missed it was in September, but if early saver booking it's not as easy as you suggest. You don't simply get a refund.

Edited by Cruise, J.D.

I booked past guest rate. So, no worries on change fees. I guess I'm confused on what people keep calling a solo supplement. I have another cruise booked solo and the price is exactly the same as if I had booked for 2 with the exception of taxes.

My thought was if I cancel the 2nd person the only thing that would change is the refund of taxes.

I booked past guest rate. So, no worries on change fees. I guess I'm confused on what people keep calling a solo supplement. I have another cruise booked solo and the price is exactly the same as if I had booked for 2 with the exception of taxes.

My thought was if I cancel the 2nd person the only thing that would change is the refund of taxes.

Yes, since you booked past guest rate, the best thing to do would be to cancel your friend now. That way whoever paid for it will get a refund of the taxes and port fees. Then if you decide to book another person you can and it would just take the cost of the taxes and port fees to add them.

The solo supplement basically means that you are paying double minus taxes and port fees. Where it comes in to play is when you have cancellation penalties. For example if you are at 50% penalty and cancel one person, you lose half of the fare that person paid. So if the total of the booking (before taxes) is $2,000 and you cancel one person, then you lose $500 for canceling and then have to pay another $500 to get back up to the price of the cruise. If you are a no show, then the price stays the same and you are refunded taxes and port fees. It is a stupid way to do it, but that's how it works.

This is correct if you paid for both people. If the person who needs to cancel paid their own 1/2, then for you to sail solo, you have to come up with the other half of the fare.

I sail solo a lot. I used to sail mostly with my DD and now that she's an adult, married, and working, she can't join me. So I still get the privilege of paying for two people even though I'm solo. Yes, there's only one charge for taxes and fees and one charge for tips, so there is a slight savings.

Not sure why you'd pay in full this early. I know some people like to get it over with, but I don't like giving anyone my money a day earlier than necessary. But since you're before final payment, it really shouldn't matter (except, as noted, if the other person paid their half).

Do you have a good PVP? Just give him/her a call.

Yes' date=' since you booked past guest rate, the best thing to do would be to cancel your friend now. That way whoever paid for it will get a refund of the taxes and port fees. Then if you decide to book another person you can and it would just take the cost of the taxes and port fees to add them.

The solo supplement basically means that you are paying double minus taxes and port fees. Where it comes in to play is when you have cancellation penalties. For example if you are at 50% penalty and cancel one person, you lose half of the fare that person paid. So if the total of the booking (before taxes) is $2,000 and you cancel one person, then you lose $500 for canceling and then have to pay another $500 to get back up to the price of the cruise. If you are a no show, then the price stays the same and you are refunded taxes and port fees. It is a stupid way to do it, but that's how it works.[/quote']

Thank you, I see now about the extra costs if cancelling close to the cruise date with the cancellation penalties.

I knew I was forgetting something!

This is correct if you paid for both people. If the person who needs to cancel paid their own 1/2, then for you to sail solo, you have to come up with the other half of the fare.

I sail solo a lot. I used to sail mostly with my DD and now that she's an adult, married, and working, she can't join me. So I still get the privilege of paying for two people even though I'm solo. Yes, there's only one charge for taxes and fees and one charge for tips, so there is a slight savings.

Not sure why you'd pay in full this early. I know some people like to get it over with, but I don't like giving anyone my money a day earlier than necessary. But since you're before final payment, it really shouldn't matter (except, as noted, if the other person paid their half).

Do you have a good PVP? Just give him/her a call.

I paid for both fares so the taxes come back to me. As far as paying this early...paid the $750 deposit, then had a $350 credit (not sure why I booked an early saver last year?!), then got a deal on a $150 gift card. That left around $200. After 2 price drops that brought me down to -$3.78. Without that cruise credit it wouldn't be paid this early.

When I sailed solo on RC I had to pay the single supplement but got double credit towards my level so for a 4 day cruise I got 8 credits which put me up a category. I don't know if Carnival does this for solos.

When I sailed solo on RC I had to pay the single supplement but got double credit towards my level so for a 4 day cruise I got 8 credits which put me up a category. I don't know if Carnival does this for solos.

No, they do not. Carnival's loyalty program is based on # of nights.

When they did their overhaul a few years ago, I was hoping it would be more like HAL's, which is based on # nights PLUS you get credit for your onboard spending PLUS bonus for suites. My only HAL cruise was 14 nights to Hawaii. Combined with my onboard spending, I'm close to the 2nd tier after only one cruise.

But that's a whole different subject, which has been debated many times on these boards. ;)

OP, I think you're all set. Go solo and have a good time. I really enjoy it. I rather like not being tied to anyone else's schedule or having to worry about waking my cabin-mate if I get up during the night, or early in the morning, or stay out late, or turn in early and they stay out late. It's quite liberating! :D

Another thing to consider is by cancelling the second cruiser will Carnival change your cabin?.

They did it to me into a totally unacceptable cabin. Was able to change it but not to the one I really wanted

Sounds like your best bet would be to keep it as is and just pay the extra buying Cheers onboard. Or call Carnival and get the facts on penalties.

I wonder if she buys Cheers on day 2-- after the no show is recorded-- if they will only charge for one.

Another thing to consider is by cancelling the second cruiser will Carnival change your cabin?.

They did it to me into a totally unacceptable cabin. Was able to change it but not to the one I really wanted

On what basis did they do this? I can understand having a cabin that accommodates 3 or 4 and getting bumped if there's just 2. But, there's no single occupancy cabin. And you are paying for 2. As long as you're in a cabin with 2pax max, which I am, then you should be good.

OP, I think you're all set. Go solo and have a good time. I really enjoy it. I rather like not being tied to anyone else's schedule or having to worry about waking my cabin-mate if I get up during the night, or early in the morning, or stay out late, or turn in early and they stay out late. It's quite liberating! :D

Thank you. I am actually quite excited for those reasons. Just doing what I want to do when I want to do it. Not having to worry about what someone else is in the mood for. This is exactly what I need right now.