Sea sickness help!

MattOsprey

I have just read a thread from "Redney" talking about having to cut a cruise short, through sea sickness. I was just wondering with all you very experienced cruisers, if there are any meds we can get on our arrival to the US. Just in case. We are sailing on Constellation 10/29. Not expecting rough seas but we are in 9005 right at the bow. I won't tell my wife I have put this thread on, as I think she may feel ill at the thought of it.:eek:

Ask for gravol or dramamine while on board your flight. Tell them you are afraid you might get airsick... Same pill, same problem... motion sickness. The medication is also available on board.

We were in 9002 on the Constellation crossing. We had a few rough days but the gravol worked wonders...

If you have time you might want to stop at a drugstore and get Bonine or the generic equivelant Meclizine, Acts in the same way as dramamine but does not make you feel as drowsy! I am very prone to seasickness and it works great!

Just posted this on another thread, but here's something to consider whether you find yourself having to go as far as medication or not:

In the event that things do start to rock and roll a bit, I've noted that the effects are (for obvious reasons) often most acute for people in the dining rooms.

A suggestion if you find yourself in a "tolerable" but not entirely comfortable condition while eating: be sure to select your chair such that you're oriented front to back with the motion (rocking chair style) and NOT side to side. If you're just on the edge of the problem, this can make all the difference in the world.

I have just read a thread from "Redney" talking about having to cut a cruise short, through sea sickness. I was just wondering with all you very experienced cruisers, if there are any meds we can get on our arrival to the US. Just in case. We are sailing on Constellation 10/29. Not expecting rough seas but we are in 9005 right at the bow. I won't tell my wife I have put this thread on, as I think she may feel ill at the thought of it.:eek:

Try a product called Motion ease available on Amazon, last year my wife felt a bit sea sick and a fellow passager applied a drop behind her ear and she felt better almost right way.

Hi -

We took a 12 day Eastern Caribbean cruise for our 25th anniversary in 2002 on the Galaxy and had cabin 8000 - right in front of the ship - some of our best pics going into and leaving the ports were from our picture window there....

Anyway, just to be on the safe side, we took our non-drowsy dramamine the day BEFORE our cruise and faithfully every morning there after.

We did some rockin' and rollin' coming back in the Atlantic because of hurricane Kyle - 3rd longest hurricane to linger in the Atlantic - 22 days! We did fine...no seasickness.

Whatever you chose, start taking it the day before your trip. Have a great time!

Matt

If you want to buy something here in the UK before you go, get some 'Sea legs' tablets they are the UK equivalent of Bonine containing the same active ingredient Meclizine.

I have taken them and never had a problem with seasickness and we did encounter some rocky seas on the Mercury a few years ago.

Happy sailing!

abbafan, I was looking where you were on Mercury and noticed you were on her two weeks before us in 2002. If I remember correctly, she was doing Eastern and Western Caribbean routes alternate weeks and the W Caribbean cruise before us (ie yours) was unable to tender at Grand Cayman because of heavy seas. Just goes to show that it is luck of the draw. Our cruise was as smooth as glass and I was disappointed that I didn't get a chance to try my seasickness meds. I think that feeling may come back to haunt me at some stage!

I have Stugeron, containing cinnarizine that I bought at the airport last year. Has anyone had any experience of how good that is, having not yet needed to try it?

Phil

We have found the best product, to combat sea sickness, is not a med, but a, functional band, worn on the wrist. "Relief Bands" can be purchased in the U.S., at any good drugstore. They are worn, on the wrist, and are battery operated. These are not the traditional sea bracelets, which have been popular, for years, but a product, available to the public, for the last five or so years. Relief Bands are, also, used , in the medical field, to minimize or eliminate nausea, in chemo patients. This product, was a little pricey, at the time we purchased them, but, perhaps, not so now. Oh......wait a second........I saw them on the Constellation, when we did a Transatlantic a couple of years ago!

Bon Voyage! Have a great trip!

My DW is very motion sensitive. She can not read a map in a car! We have tried most of the meds - side effect of being sleepy was not her cup of tea. She said she could sleep at home and it was cheaper there;)

On a private yacht, many years ago, the captian suggusted she use these c-bands. Give her a set and she has used tem ever since. (They will have to be repalce the elastic wears out.)They are elastic bands with a small 'bead' on the inside. When placed on the currect pressure point, they prevent motion sickness.

They work for her and she has been in rough waters with no sickness. You can find them in most state side drug stores beside the other sea sickness meds.

Bonine was available to purchase on Infinity last christmas. I am VERY prone to feeling seasick, DH despaired then I felt ill whilst on a lilo in the sea one year!! However so long as I take the Bonine, immediately I start to feel the ship rocking, then I am absolutely fine.

A couple of years ago we had 20' swells in the Caribbean and although I wasn't particularly happy at the time, I took my Bonine and wasn't sick(even though I expected to be!).

Also, totally as a precaution, I've recently bought a 'Relief Band', which accordingly to the reviews works very well.

That said the possibility of being seasick doesn't put me off cruising :) , I figure the chances of one evening being ill out of 2 weeks is worth taking the chance.

Hi Phil!

Yes you were right, the Mercury cruise we were on was unable to tender to Grand Caymen because of the seas, we were so disappointed as we were supposed to be going swimming with the stingrays, instead we had an extra day at sea which we spent in the T pool as it was raining outside. It was an interesting experience sitting in the pool as the ships movement caused the water to rush from one side to the other like being in the sea, we had to hold on to the safety rails to stop ourselves getting swept away!

Regarding Sturgeron tablets, I haven't tried them myself but I was talking to a pharmacist the other week and she said they are the best tablets to take for seasickness so you should be OK with them.

Lisa

Regarding Sturgeron tablets, I haven't tried them myself but I was talking to a pharmacist the other week and she said they are the best tablets to take for seasickness so you should be OK with them.

Lisa

Thanks for that Lisa. Enjoy Century:)

Matt, good luck with the Stugeron. Let's hope neither of us need it!

Phil

Archived