All-Electronic Tolling Ft. Lauderdale area

bottomfeeder

I THINK, from studying various maps, that I won't be traveling on any of the roads that are all-electronic tolling. I am driving a rental car through Alligator Alley and dropping off at the Budget car rental location on SE 17th St. Causeway in Ft. Lauderdale.

The directions tell me to take 75 to 595E to US 1 North, to SE 17th St.

Can someone confirm for me that there are no all-electronic tolls on that route?

I want to avoid unexpectedly large charges for tolls by the rental car company and state of Florida! Normally I'd be driving my own car with a Sunpass, but for my transatlantic cruise I have the rental car so I can fly back to an airport close to my home instead of to FLL or MIA. What a pain in the neck!

Thanks in advance!

I THINK, from studying various maps, that I won't be traveling on any of the roads that are all-electronic tolling. I am driving a rental car through Alligator Alley and dropping off at the Budget car rental location on SE 17th St. Causeway in Ft. Lauderdale.

The directions tell me to take 75 to 595E to US 1 North, to SE 17th St.

Can someone confirm for me that there are no all-electronic tolls on that route?

I want to avoid unexpectedly large charges for tolls by the rental car company and state of Florida! Normally I'd be driving my own car with a Sunpass, but for my transatlantic cruise I have the rental car so I can fly back to an airport close to my home instead of to FLL or MIA. What a pain in the neck!

Thanks in advance!

There is only one toll on your route and that is at the start of Alligator Alley (I-75) from the west coast side (east Naples). I think the toll is $2.50. Then that is it, no other tolls to Fort Lauderdale.

Edited by brunello22

Alligator Alley tolls have a cash lane.

Yep, thanks, I am familiar with Alligator Alley, I drive through there whenever I head over to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale to go on a cruise. I just am much less familiar with which roads in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area are toll and of those which are electronic only, so wanted to check on those. :)

In the Ft. Lauderdale area, I believe the Sawgrass Expressway (SR 869) is all-electronic, as is the Turnpike south of I-595. I just found this map on the Turnpike website: http://floridasturnpike.com/all-electronictolling/Turnpike_Sawgrass%20all-electronic%20tolling%20map_web.pdf.

There are tolled, all-electronic, reversible express lanes on I-595; stay in the general-use lanes and there's no toll. http://595express.info/overview.shtm.

Could you bring your Sunpass transmitter with you and just tuck it in your suitcase for the rest of your vacation? (Or will someone at home need it? or is it attached to your window/dashboard?)

Maddle

Could you bring your Sunpass transmitter with you and just tuck it in your suitcase for the rest of your vacation? (Or will someone at home need it? or is it attached to your window/dashboard?)

Maddle

You have to register the license plates it is used for, and since I don't know what the license plate of my rental car will be in order to register it the day before I rent it...that won't work. I guess it's good that they do that though to prevent people stealing the transmitters.

You have to register the license plates it is used for, and since I don't know what the license plate of my rental car will be in order to register it the day before I rent it...that won't work. I guess it's good that they do that though to prevent people stealing the transmitters.

Ours is attached to the windshield and if you remove it you must buy a new one, as when we bought a new car.

Ours is attached to the windshield and if you remove it you must buy a new one, as when we bought a new car.

Yep, I paid a little more and bought the one that sticks to the windshield with a suction cup. That way when my parents drove to Florida they could borrow my transmitter for tolls on their way to a cruise in Miami, and when I buy a new car I don't need to replace it.

We use our EZPass (in PA) with rentals all the time. We just log into their system once we have the rental car and plug in the license plate number. When we return the rental, we remove the plate number from our account.

We take the AutoTrain down to FL so purchased a SunPass for our van. We got the removable one on purpose so we could take it with us if we fly down and rent a car.

We use our EZPass (in PA) with rentals all the time. We just log into their system once we have the rental car and plug in the license plate number. When we return the rental, we remove the plate number from our account.

We take the AutoTrain down to FL so purchased a SunPass for our van. We got the removable one on purpose so we could take it with us if we fly down and rent a car.

I thought I had read on the Sunpass website that you had to enter in license plate numbers at least 1 day prior to when you wanted to use the Sunpass on the vehicle in question. I know it said that about entering payments...maybe I am misremembering about the license plate numbers.

It will make me so very happy when they manage to make the EZPass, Sunpass etc. all work together. I am now driving between Florida and Maine twice a year and tolling would be so much easier if I could use 1 electronic transmitter for all the states!