What happens if ship changes home port?

jtdlmc

I assume with the news that Carnival will be sailing to Cuba, there could possibly be some shifting around of ships and changed schedules. Just curious as to what would happen to someone who was booked on a cruise well in advance (like 2018) and that particular ship was moved to a different homeport? Would your reservation be cancelled or would you be given a similar room on the replacement ship at the same price you initially paid?

NO changes because of Cuba. There is a completely separate Carnival Corporation ship going there.

The Fathom line of the Carnival Corporation will have a ship going to Cuba doing some special activities with the Cuban people.

You can click on Fathom to read about it .

Oh ok, I thought Fathom was already sailing there???

But regardless, JH had alluded to possible "dancing of the ships" in response to a question someone had asked him about an upcoming cruise, so I will rephrase my question and leave out the Cuba reference.

If for any reason a ship moves homeport after it had sailings scheduled, what are the consequences for someone who was booked on it?

Edited by jtdlmc

So far this only applies to Carnival Corporation's new brand, Fathom.

I would imagine you may see some port changes eventually on the Caribbean itineraries of Carnival ships, but it will likely take some time to build a port capable of serving the large ships that Carnival and others use today. Even that doesn't require a home port change.

Oh ok, I thought Fathom was already sailing there???

But regardless, JH had alluded to possible "dancing of the ships" in response to a question someone had asked him about an upcoming cruise, so I will rephrase my question and leave out the Cuba reference.

If for any reason a ship moves homeport after it had sailings scheduled, what are the consequences for someone who was booked on it?

You would be notified of the ship change, given the opportunity to stay on the same itinerary in the same cabin category but a different ship. Or, you could be given the opportunity to move to another ship and itinerary.

So far this only applies to Carnival Corporation's new brand, Fathom.

I would imagine you may see some port changes eventually on the Caribbean itineraries of Carnival ships, but it will likely take some time to build a port capable of serving the large ships that Carnival and others use today. Even that doesn't require a home port change.

And an act of Congress to allow US tourism to Cuba.

Not even on my bucket list.