Should we switch to accessible cabin?

txwriter

I will be taking my mom to Alaska in May 2017 on the Star Princess. It's a bucket list trip for her and something we've been looking forward to for a long time. We booked in December, and I told the travel agent at the time that mom planned on bringing her walker (rollator) with her. She booked us in a regular cabin. (Right now, we're mid forward on the Plaza deck).

I'm very happy with our cabin type and location but have learned the rollator won't fit through the door without collapsing it. Mom mostly plans on using it on our pre-cruise land portion and during excursions. She may also want it on the ship some times, but she does not use it daily at home. Mom has issues with her back that causes her some slight wobbliness as well as pain in her legs when she overdoes it.

We have only been on one cruise before, and that was in 1990, so things have changed since then. Mom will be almost 74 at the time of our sailing.

I hate to take an accessible room if a regular room would work simply because I know there may be someone who needs it more than we do. But I want Mom to have the most enjoyable trip possible. What are the thoughts of those who travel often?

Hi txwriter,if the rollater wont fit through the cabin door if as you have explained that your mom doesnt use it all the time would it not be possible to close it up slightly when going through the cabin door and then reopen at the other side.

There are very wheel chair accessable cabins available on all cruise lines and you are quite right that they should be kept for full time w/chair users.

Im quite sure that you and your mom will have a great cruise in the present cabin.

Hope this is of help.

Hi txwriter,if the rollater wont fit through the cabin door if as you have explained that your mom doesnt use it all the time would it not be possible to close it up slightly when going through the cabin door and then reopen at the other side.

There are very wheel chair accessable cabins available on all cruise lines and you are quite right that they should be kept for full time w/chair users.

Im quite sure that you and your mom will have a great cruise in the present cabin.

Hope this is of help.

Yes. My plan was just to collapse it when going in and out. My only concern inside the cabin is the bathroom.

Sorry for any confusion. I didn't realize I accidentally posted on Europe Disable Cruising. :confused:

I did want to say we have talked it over again, and we both feel it's important to leave the accessible rooms for people who really really need them. We will be able to manage in the regular cabin. Thanks for helping set my mind at ease.

Hope this is of help.

Hi Captain Beefheart,

Small point, accessible cabins aren't just for wheel chair users. I am not a wheel chair user but due to my disabilities I need an accessible cabin.

Pete

QUOTE]

Correction: The “accessible” cabins were originally designed for people that require the use of a mobile device. The time element for the require the device is not an issue. The fact that it is a necessary item is all that matters. Thus those of us that can walk a few steps are not doing anything wrong. My heart goes out to those that require full time use, regardless, I would not be able to take a single cruise without my scooter.

However, because many people do not appreciate the term “handicap”, it appears that “accessible” has been and is being used as a substitute. Thus, many that do not require the space end up using an accessible cabin when it may not be necessary.

At least one cruise line does (or did) offer modified standard cabins for blind or deaf people. This also allows the cruise lines to offer specific needs to those individuals and save the space required for mobile devices. Since “space” is a serious concern on all cruise ships, I do believe a few lines have implemented this idea.

Betty

• 4 weeks later...
Yes. My plan was just to collapse it when going in and out. My only concern inside the cabin is the bathroom.

Bathrooms are a huge issue for the elderly and if mom needs grab bars then by all means book the accessible cabin, don't think twice about it.