Summit review March 19-26

farmerslou

We were on this cruise also. Cabin 7179 Concierge. Lucky for us we were right down the hall from Farmer and had no plumbing problem at all. Loved the ship but nothing like the Solstice or reflection. The refresh seems to have done a nice job. Maybe now we don't have to look at peoples pics of rust on a ship that sails in salt water for awhile:) We were happy to watch the Villanova game on Thursday night under the stars. Great concept like Princess has been doing for years but what were they thinking with that furniture. It is so uncomfortable. The coffee café is spot on especially with the premium package. As for the dining room and the reason we have been traveling for many years with Celebrity I give it a "D". The only reason I did not give it an F was because of the people servicing us. Ida was awesome and Rolando the Wine Stewart was the best we ever had! Lets say this for the food. It is no maybe 1 level above cafeteria level. I mean how could this happen to celebrity??? I'm guessing they are trying to faze out the main dining rooms and charge you every night for food in specialty restaurants. The new Tuscan Grill was much better than on the Solstice class. A new menu with home made Pasta. I gave it an A. The pool area is very nice but again the new loungers they put in there are so uncomfortable. Why would they not use the same ones from the Reflection with the cushions? Getting on and off the Ship was a breeze. No issues at all. Did not do any shows but the pool and lounge acts are not like they use to be. We had a great cruise no doubt but it is so obvious that Celebrity is not what they use to be. Its a shame. I probably would not do them again and the food would be the reason. We have sailed with them the last 16 cruises. If you are going on one of their cruises in the near future you will have a blast. My negatives I pointed out were just from our perspective but I still had a great time and you will too. Celebrity needs to see these issues in print so they can start to make changes.

It was very annoying at 4AM when we could hear the musical track to the Alaska video in our cabin. They were very nice when I called to complain and did lower it, but yes, directly under the screen it was "noise" and "overbearing".

Really at 4am?? They had better been "very nice" if I called them at 4am with that issue!

It was very annoying at 4AM when we could hear the musical track to the Alaska video in our cabin. They were very nice when I called to complain and did lower it, but yes, directly under the screen it was "noise" and "overbearing".

The footsteps were only there when the b-ball games were being shown on the screen, not during movies. And they stopped around midnight. They weren't an issue during the night.

I really would give it a shot! Everyone's tolerance is different!

This thread couldn't have come at a better time as we just booked Cabin 1118 (other side from where you were) and I'm now having major anxiety that the noise will have a negative impact on our cruise. The whole reason I booked AQ was for the spa like features and noise is not one of them.

I'm hoping your experience relects them working out the kinks of this new feature on the Summit and that noise won't be as much of an issue moving forward (thanks in part to you expressing your concerns on board :))

We also debated moving but are going to stay put. Do you thinking moving closer toward the elevators (Cabins 1106/1107) would be less noisy?

It was very annoying at 4AM when we could hear the musical track to the Alaska video in our cabin. They were very nice when I called to complain and did lower it, but yes, directly under the screen it was "noise" and "overbearing".!

What? 4 AM? Why are they even playing anything at 4 AM? Nothing should be playing from midnight to at least 8 am.

That is crazy.

Hello:

We were on the same sailing, in one of the newly refurbished penthouse suites.

We went to Tuscan 3x - food was good - great salads and steak (filet) - wonderful service there. I was critical of the decor (or lack there of) in Tuscan... from most tables the atmosphere is more like an upscale boardroom, not a restaurant. Our waiter did indicate that the decor would continue to transform over the next few sailings. In our view, the quality of the food at Qsine has gone a bit down... nothing drastic, but noticeable to all of us. We think the concept of that venue is simply too "trying too hard" - they focus a bit too much on trying to overwhelm rather than providing on-point, excellent food. Finally, the problem with the plumbing plagued many on board... we were never denied access to the Hotel Manager, complained each and every time (it was almost daily), and were given a very, very ample cruise credit as a result.

But here is the thing - the person responsible for the hiring for Celebrity does an outstanding job. Truly. The only individual we met who we thought wasn't nailing the customer service was the CD, Ken. Many of us were struck by how frequently we would see him around the ship and he would not make eye contact or say hello... never mind engage in mindless chitchat while next to someone at the Oceanview Buffet. His "on" presence was saved for events, but so much of a CD's job are the moments around the ship between those events. He was the exception, though, overall, the personnel were stellar. Whether waiter or bartender or concierge or cabin attendant or butler... the people make the difference on this cruise line and keep us coming back.

Would we cruise in the Penthouse again? Probably not... we think the space and service of a Royal Suite are ample for us. I actually have strong feelings on how PS and RS aren't "luxury" enough on Celebrity - with just tiny low-cost tweaks, they could be incentivized even more... but I'll save that for another post.

We love the So. Caribbean itinerary, love the ship, and love the people who make it an excellent vacation for our family year after year.

Really at 4am?? They had better been "very nice" if I called them at 4am with that issue!

Unfortunately, I waited until 8 to call them. They were very nice and told me I should have called them at 4AM. They sent someone right away to lower the volume and called twice to check to make sure we were satisfied.

What? 4 AM? Why are they even playing anything at 4 AM? Nothing should be playing from midnight to at least 8 am.

That is crazy.

Yup, it was crazy. They were playing the Alaska video, which is basically a commercial for Celebrity to Alaska and has a loud musical track.

This thread couldn't have come at a better time as we just booked Cabin 1118 (other side from where you were) and I'm now having major anxiety that the noise will have a negative impact on our cruise. The whole reason I booked AQ was for the spa like features and noise is not one of them.

I'm hoping your experience relects them working out the kinks of this new feature on the Summit and that noise won't be as much of an issue moving forward (thanks in part to you expressing your concerns on board :))

We also debated moving but are going to stay put. Do you thinking moving closer toward the elevators (Cabins 1106/1107) would be less noisy?

I think they will figure this all out. As I said, there wasn't a lot of foot traffic unless there was a big event, and those ended before midnight. If you hear the music or soundtrack and it bothers you, call right away. They were very responsive.

I wouldn't move further forward as the screen is in that whole area. As an fyi- there aren't really any "spa-like features" in these AQ cabins. The real spa is on deck 10 forward and the cabins are deck 11 aft. They are newer than the other cabins, with nice shower doors, so they're nicer than some other balcony cabins. I'm sure you'll enjoy them!

We'll be in the same cabin for the next two cruises. Will keep my fingers crossed that the toilet situation is solved by then. :cool: Thanks for the review.
I would have demanded being upgraded to another room. That is totally unacceptable.

We are looking foward to our august summit cruise. My family will be joining, we are all in suitew and have enjoyed Lumanie on the Reflection and Silly. Hope it is the same on the Summit. Unfortunately, for us, we do not like Sushi- and will miss Bistro on Five. We also love the Lawn Grill and Murano's, and unfortunately no option for these on the Summit. I am also disappointed that the CS and SS haven't been refurbished as they needed to be redone also. But with a short dry dock- I assume just so much was done. Has the upgraded internet speed been added to the ship?

While the Summit is getting old-who isn't! We enjoy the charm and easy navigation of the ship Thanks for the information.

Edited by Cruise a holic