Madrid to Barcelona

LynnSD

I don't think you are going to have a choice in train stations. I believe you are going to have to use. It takes just under three hours, here is a great website that will answer some questions:

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/transport/barcelona-madrid-train.html

I think you will find the trains to Barcelona all start with the Puerta De Atocha station and you would get off at the Barcelona Sants station

The cheapest fares will be if you buy through the Spanish rail company, Renfe. Many times people using US credit cards have problems using the website. I initially did , but became a registered user and that seemed to solve the problem. I've used it many times since. Also call your credit card co. ahead of time and alert them about your Euro charge.

The discounted fares typically get loaded about 3 months before travel date. These are capacity controlled so they will disappear in time.

As mentioned by the PP, the AVE train leaves Atocha station in Madrid and gets to Sants station in Barcelona.

I buy RENFE tickets quite often. Just keep checking when your date shows up and buy right away. I don't have a RENFE id and have no trouble with payment on Spanish page but English one may reject CC from time to time. Also they ask for passport # which is completely optional and no one checks it. Final AVE ticket doesn't have names but has assigned seats.