Disabled parking tag

tigercat

I forgot about this post. I have my scooter and have decorated it in pink and glitters. The insurance paid the full amount. I don't have anything on the back of my van as I am able to dismantle it to get it in and out. Also, I will have my two son's with me.

I do have a passport and a HC placard that I use. We will be parking at Ft. Lauderdale for this cruise and Miami in Feb.

This is the first time I will be having a scooter with me. I have used my walker before. I am still going to bring my walker because I can for the most part use it on the ship. However, if I get too tired and I will need it for sure for getting off the ship at all the ports. I just cannot walk the long piers.

tigercat

I have a platform that my scooter sits on at the rear of our vehicle also, it has a fold down ramp. I do not have a HC license plate or rear mirror blue placard however, as with my scooter I don't require to park in close. Is this also a requirement, or is just the scooter platform enough to qualify ?

Thanks.

So apply for one. In Ohio I asked my Dr. about it. He signed a document that I took to BMV and they gave me 2 placards on the spot. No questions asked. Not sure what the policy is in your state.

I forgot about this post. I have my scooter and have decorated it in pink and glitters. The insurance paid the full amount. I don't have anything on the back of my van as I am able to dismantle it to get it in and out. Also, I will have my two son's with me.

I do have a passport and a HC placard that I use. We will be parking at Ft. Lauderdale for this cruise and Miami in Feb.

This is the first time I will be having a scooter with me. I have used my walker before. I am still going to bring my walker because I can for the most part use it on the ship. However, if I get too tired and I will need it for sure for getting off the ship at all the ports. I just cannot walk the long piers.

tigercat

I told my husband that I want pinstriping on my royal blue scooter. I have named her "Sapphire" My wheelchair was candy apple red and I named her "Ruby". I also need some sort of rear basket for shopping outings. My small one on the front will only hold a loaf of bread. I need more room for Christmas shopping at the mall....LOL

You need to clarify that because the way I read the law is it has to be a vehicle modified for "Operation" not to carry. Anyone can put a scooter carrier on a trailer hitch and haul ice chests. Be sure you read it.

In accordance with Florida state law, no parking charges will be imposed on any vehicle with specialized equipment, such as ramps, lifts, foot or hand controls, for use by a person with a disability, or any vehicle displaying the Florida Toll Exemption permit. The rule does not say if you carry a scooter it will be free.

• 2 weeks later...
You need to clarify that because the way I read the law is it has to be a vehicle modified for "Operation" not to carry. Anyone can put a scooter carrier on a trailer hitch and haul ice chests. Be sure you read it.

In accordance with Florida state law, no parking charges will be imposed on any vehicle with specialized equipment, such as ramps, lifts, foot or hand controls, for use by a person with a disability, or any vehicle displaying the Florida Toll Exemption permit. The rule does not say if you carry a scooter it will be free.

but if you have a handicap placard and the carrier has the scooter when you arrive and leave i am pretty sure it would be free.

I wasn't arguing that it would be or be free. Yes, if you have a placard or plate it is free.

Handicapped Placards and plates are legal in all states.

I found this in .05 seconds why couldn't you?

Traveling with Disabilities

Every state in the U.S. accepts the handicapped placards and license plates of all other states. As a result:

• If you visit the state of New York, you can use the placard or plate from your home state for disabled parking.
  • You can use a New York disability placard or plate in any other state of the U.S.

When visiting another state, you must obey the local parking regulations. For example, some states do not offer parking meter waivers or allow parking in the same types of spaces.

Edited by WupperAV

WupperAV, thank you. where did you find that information?

In general the DMV in every US States sends a sheet of all the USA locations that accept an placard issued from another states. The list general also includes all places in Canada that accept a USA placard is accepted. If you did not receive it that it general is posted on the DNV website for the state of your residence or you just call the DMV office. https://dmv.ny.gov/brochure/parking-people-disabilities-law

When in doubt just call the DMV office or the local Police Dept. of the state you're planning to visit.

Edited by xxoocruiser

My husband dropped me and the luggage off at the curb then parked the car. After the cruise I stayed at the curb with the luggage and he retrieved the car. The scooter was not on the lift when he paid but he did have the HC placard. Then he drove to the curb and picked me and the luggage up. No questions asked. I think you may be overthinking the situation.

My husband dropped me and the luggage off at the curb then parked the car. After the cruise I stayed at the curb with the luggage and he retrieved the car. The scooter was not on the lift when he paid but he did have the HC placard. Then he drove to the curb and picked me and the luggage up. No questions asked. I think you may be overthinking the situation.

Just an FYI all states require that the person to whom the placard is registered to MUST be entering or existing the vehicle from the Handicap Parking Space in order for the vehicle to be parked there. Being that your husband dropped you off and picked you up from the curb outside the terminal I hope he did not permitted to park in an accessible parking space if the placard used is not register to him.

BTW I do have a parking placard and when dropped off curbside anywhere my car parked in a non handicap spot. My family knows better as most work for a police department. Personally when I witness abuse of HC parking space I don't think twice to call the police dept. and have the vehicle ticketed.

It was under New York Handicapped parking Rules and regs. I have never been questioned for parking my wife's car for her in a handicapped parking place. I do find it strange how some people manage to park in a handicapped zone, run in and out of a store and drive away.

It was under New York Handicapped parking Rules and regs. I have never been questioned for parking my wife's car for her in a handicapped parking place. I do find it strange how some people manage to park in a handicapped zone, run in and out of a store and drive away.

In Illinois HC placards are coded to denote Male or Female and year of birth of the person. Therefore it's really easy to determine if the person to whom the placard has been registered to is actually entering/existing the car from the HC space. For example a 16 year old cut me off and took an HC space than hung a placard belonging to an 85 year old man. I blocked his car and asked him if he would give me the name of his doctor as he had evidently found the fountain of youth. Explained to him that the placard most likely belonged to his grandfather, that he would be fined $500.00 and would loose his DL for up to year for fraudulently using the placard as well as his grandfather could also loose the placard for up to a year. Even being told this he continued to insist it was his. His friends told him to do the right thing and park else but the young man continued to insist the placard was his. So I pulled out my cell phone pretended to call the police . Just as the kid heard me say " so you're being sending a squad " a police siren was heard in the distance.... just dumb luck that it happened at the same time as my pretend call to the police. The kid moved the car quickly.

Just an FYI all states require that the person to whom the placard is registered to MUST be entering or existing the vehicle from the Handicap Parking Space in order for the vehicle to be parked there. Being that your husband dropped you off and picked you up from the curb outside the terminal I hope he did not permitted to park in an accessible parking space if the placard used is not register to him.

BTW I do have a parking placard and when dropped off curbside anywhere my car parked in a non handicap spot. My family knows better as most work for a police department. Personally when I witness abuse of HC parking space I don't think twice to call the police dept. and have the vehicle ticketed.

Since I wasn't with him when he parked the car I decided to ask him where he parked. He said he was directed to a spot that is larger to accommodate the extra length due to the lift on the back. He followed their directions. OK with you?

• 4 weeks later...
In Illinois HC placards are coded to denote Male or Female and year of birth of the person. Therefore it's really easy to determine if the person to whom the placard has been registered to is actually entering/existing the car from the HC space. For example a 16 year old cut me off and took an HC space than hung a placard belonging to an 85 year old man. I blocked his car and asked him if he would give me the name of his doctor as he had evidently found the fountain of youth. Explained to him that the placard most likely belonged to his grandfather, that he would be fined $500.00 and would loose his DL for up to year for fraudulently using the placard as well as his grandfather could also loose the placard for up to a year. Even being told this he continued to insist it was his. His friends told him to do the right thing and park else but the young man continued to insist the placard was his. So I pulled out my cell phone pretended to call the police . Just as the kid heard me say " so you're being sending a squad " a police siren was heard in the distance.... just dumb luck that it happened at the same time as my pretend call to the police. The kid moved the car quickly.

Wow. In the hopes of helping others understand that disability affects all ages, let me share about my daughter, because I know many people older than she is are accosted when using their parking permits. My 17yo daughter has a permit due to her autoimmune disease. Our state placards do not denote gender. I am sure there nearly everyone thinks she's taking advantage of a grandparent's permit. She sometimes can't walk 100 feet, but looks "normal." Teens can also be transporting someone else. I was my mother's driver, she has MS, and often dropped her at the door before parking, but she would go to the car with me when leaving. Many states allow for a driver to park in accessible parking when transporting the person who has the permit, even if dropping the person at the door. My state does. If someone has a placard, it is between the person and their doctor.

Wow. In the hopes of helping others understand that disability affects all ages, let me share about my daughter, because I know many people older than she is are accosted when using their parking permits. My 17yo daughter has a permit due to her autoimmune disease. Our state placards do not denote gender. I am sure there nearly everyone thinks she's taking advantage of a grandparent's permit. She sometimes can't walk 100 feet, but looks "normal." Teens can also be transporting someone else. I was my mother's driver, she has MS, and often dropped her at the door before parking, but she would go to the car with me when leaving. Many states allow for a driver to park in accessible parking when transporting the person who has the permit, even if dropping the person at the door. My state does. If someone has a placard, it is between the person and their doctor.

The situation I stated was intentional abuse as the 16 year old was fraudulently using someone elses placard. Fully understand your daughters situation as have a 13 year old great-nephew that requires a placard.

In Illinois the person assigned to the placard must be entering or exiting the vehicle at the time it's parked in the HC space even when being transported by another individual. For example I can be dropped off on arrival but I had better enter the vehicle when I leave and not be picked-up.

Edited by xxoocruiser

• 3 weeks later...

When I took care of my 95-97 year old grandfather for 2 years I would often drop him off at the door and go park in a handicapped spot. Just because he was dropped off doesn't mean he won't be walking back to the car when we left. Also, he didn't use a scooter or chair so the longer it took me to get the car, the longer he had to stand waiting.

Some people just have a problem minding their own business. I had someone report me to a cop at Walmart for "abusing" the handicapped parking. The cop asked if it was my plate and I said no, it belongs to my grandfather who was standing at the door waiting. He apologized and walked to a parked car and talked to the woman who I assume reported me for taking care of a 96 year old man.

That being said, some people do abuse the placards and they should be fined but one should never assume that a young person is "abusing" the system just because they're young. I had my own placard for a while at 29 after spinal surgery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

We (DH & I) are driving to Port Canaveral in March. We carry a dismanteled scooter in the trunk. I know we can't park for free since there is no device on the car. There are several hotels linked to the port that if you stay there the night before, you can ask for a voucher for 40% off the parking fee at the port. I am counting on dropping off the luggage then parking & putting the scooter together & going to the terminal together. I think it would take too long to take that out of the trunk & put it together in the drop off area & we would be getting yelled at for taking too much time to unload. I'm the driver but I also have a temporary placard. There is a permanent plate on the car.

We (DH & I) are driving to Port Canaveral in March. We carry a dismanteled scooter in the trunk. I know we can't park for free since there is no device on the car. There are several hotels linked to the port that if you stay there the night before, you can ask for a voucher for 40% off the parking fee at the port.

Multiple reports on the Florida Departures Board state that the 40% discount coupons will no longer be accepted by the Port Authority after February 28, 2017. With two mega-ships at Port Canaveral this season demand has driven any discount away.

Edited by fishywood

I'm sorry about not responding sooner but thanks for that info about the vouchers. I went back to the port's website & they do state that the vouchers will be discontinued after Feb 28, 2017. It would have been nice but I'll pay the full price for the convenience of parking at the port.

Once again, thank you for posting that.

• 4 weeks later...
I don't think you should have any problem getting the FREE parking at ANY port in Florida. Just make sure you take your HC card with you. Something to carry the scooter is exactly what they are looking for. Parking is about $120.00 otherwise.

I know in Tampa you pay whether you have the parking pass or not. I have had to always pay there.